Poll: Worst Intro Cinematic

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    TBC for me. It seems odd compared to the rest of them.

I'd probably say Burning Crusade's, but to be fair, that was a long time ago. Everything from Wrath till now has been great imo. Shadowlands intro I thought was good, but not great. They should've shown Sylvanas fighting the undead army, or even just shown Bolvar breaking out of the ice. Felt a little cheap on that end. Still entertaining as hell though.

BC was by far the worst. I think that most people here are just butthurt because of Shadowlands, and either their beloved Sylvanas does something bad, or because blizzard gone woke by focussing so much on her, or because we are simply fed up with her. We now have 3 expansions with her, i have definitively enough of World of Sylvanas. And i'm fed up too. But the question was not what was was the worst character in all cinematics, but what's the worst one. And BC had BY FAR the worst intro cinematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelwing View Post
    TBC for me. It seems odd compared to the rest of them.
    tBC followed a similar suit to Vanilla, it portrayed players instead of a story intro. Yeah if I were to compare every cinematic to each other, I'd rate tBC and Vanilla as the worse but for their time it was still hype inducing for a rapidly growing MMO game in 2005-7. So do I rate them as they are or how hyped I felt for its time? If the former, then Vanilla (Illidan puts tBC just above it), if the latter then Pandaria's cinematic really ruined what I normally perceived as Warcraft. It felt like a different IP tbh.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Honestly I’d say either MoP or shadowlands. TBC has the iconic line that everyone knows, even people who don’t play WoW so it has a good memorable factor. The vanilla one is what I’d expect for an introduction to a new game. Cata was memorable and actually felt impactful. WoD had another fairly iconic cinematic with the “times change” line and the set up with Grom/Garrosh, thought that was cool.

Legion is close to being worse than shadowlands for me but I really disliked how the fight with Bolvar ended. It felt a bit anticlimactic. They also skipped sylvanas fighting all the undead which felt kinda cheap. I would’ve liked to see that+a longer and more exciting fight with bolvar. That’s what makes me lean towards shadowlands being the least exciting/worst for me. MoP didn’t have any oomph moments for me, I liked the slower pace but it didn’t grab me as much as any of the others did. Shadowlands has some oomph at least at the end so I’d probably say MoP edges out as the least exciting/worst for me.

Surprised more people didn't pick MoP.

Sure the expansion was good, but that intro cinematic... The orc and human look like RIDICULOUS caricatures of ever orc and human in WoW before and after. I find it very rough to watch.

I picked Cataclysm Xaxas as the worst cinematic

Expansion cinematics ranked from best to worst:

Good cinematics
    • 1. Warlords Times Change: An alternate retelling of the rise of the Horde. Every single character in this cinematic is... well, a character that we're interested in. Lots of tension seeing Grom trying to pull a fast one on Mannoroth. Great payoff seeing Gul'dan smug face wiped away and Garrosh unveiling himself.
    • 2. Battle for Azeroth What Makes Us Strong: Stirs up nationalism in your heart for your faction. Everyone is awesome. My absolute favorite moment is the mass resurrection. The only thing I don't like is Sylvanas' cringey opening narration. Then again, pretty much everything about Sylvanas is cringe inducing.
    • 3. Legion Azeroth's Last Hope: Tells a sentimental story about a father going to war for the sake of his son against overwhelmingly powerful forces. Varian carries the cinematic by himself, lots of tension. I place this one below the Warlords cinematic because every single character in that one was an actual character, whereas the Legion cinematic spends a lot of time on Sylvanas and the Infernal, who are basically nobodies in the context of the story.
    • 4. Mists of Pandaria Why Do We Fight?: Great use of tension. Great choreography. Funny comedy. All around great.
    • 5. Wrath of the Lich King Arthas, My Son: another sentimental story. The whole cinematic is carried by the juxtaposition of the narrator with the actions of the character on screen. That said, the cinematic begins to lose steam after Arthas plunges Frostmourne into the lake, and it starts devolving into a lot of random shots of
      non character monsters we don't care about.

meh cinematics (5/10)
    • 6. Shadowlands: Cool fight scene. From a technical perspective, I really liked how they handled the intro to the Shadowlands cinematic. One moment, there is an army charging Sylvanas, then in the next shot, they're all dead and she's the only one around. Really effective. That's the only good things about it. The dialogue is awful. Sylvanas' resting bitch face is a huge turn off as well.

bad cinematics (4/10 or below)
    • 7. Burning Crusade The Dark Portal: it's just a lot of shots about a lot of different non-characters fighting each other. Nothing to latch onto here. I place it over Vanilla because the scene of Maraad in the temple, solemnly rising to go to war is forever etched in my mind as part of the paladin fantasy.
    • 8. Vanilla Seasons of War: it's just a lot of shots about a lot of different non-characters fighting each other. Nothing to latch onto here. The opening scene of the Dwarf in the snow with the chanting is pretty atmospheric.
    • 9. Cataclysm Xaxas: it's just shots of some dragon destroying stuff with narration about how he hates everything. Bleh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Surprised more people didn't pick MoP.

Sure the expansion was good, but that intro cinematic... The orc and human look like RIDICULOUS caricatures of ever orc and human in WoW before and after. I find it very rough to watch.
    I loved those two!

Shadowlands was total dogshit.
    TBC (probably due just being old) and pandaland were 'just' shit.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowlands cinematic is absoute shite. It took MoP's place as the worst one.

MOP cinematic is beautiful and has a great message: What is worth fighting for?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    MOP cinematic is beautiful and has a great message: What is worth fighting for?
    Meaningless side characters and an OP panda. Completely unremarkable.