Poll: Would you pay $21 to change the biz model of the game.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    The price should be going down if anything.
    well, technicaly, if you consider inflation and that sub is the same nominal amount as it used to be 15 years ago, its real amount actualy is lower

10+ Year Old Account
    How would slinging extra money at blizz make them "change".....that like giving a rich man more money, it would mean nothing.

Why have to pay for WOW subscription at all nowadays? Servers are cheap and cost nothing to run. You literally pay 3x over for game content and get nothing on top of a 2-year box payment. So you pay 3 games worth content and get minimal reused stuff and think its acceptable at all to increase the price? No reason that the game has subs anymore other than you fools will pay for it. I make money off you guys regardless but this is just mind-blowing how foolish you guys truly are.

After all those years of pure greed; no thanks. As much as I love the game, I'm at a point now where I'd rather see the game die than us, the players, giving Blizzard "one last chance" by paying a higher sub fee in the hopes of ending their greed.

dude i am not paying wow since i discovered chinese RaF guys in cata, and later on with wow token. i am not paying them a single penny of MY money

No.

Because given the nature of inflation and publicly traded corporations, Blizzard would inevitably keep the higher sub fee, but add all the things in the current business model back in, likely in a very short time frame.

wow is not cheap at all considering that you buy the xpacs on top of your sub

keep in mind that there are other multiplayers games out there that are completely free (save cosmetics) or games that you purchase once and that's it, no sub

besides who even cares if they sell mounts in the cash shop...
    Last edited by Cyanu; 2019-11-23 at 10:44 PM.

TBH, I'd rather pay $10 a month with restrictions. I'd pay $5 a month if it just let me play on one character and maybe had some other restrictions with it. (Like, there's a lot of the game I don't touch, and never will, and I'd be way more into staying subbed outside of when a patch drops if it were cheaper. I also don't care about classic, so that's another thing I'm not going to touch.). I suuuuuure as hell don't want to pay more.

No way I would justify upping the sub. Their costs are high because they have tons of redundant bureaucracy and pay millions to CEO's pockets while laying off workers or paying them much less than they deserve for their efforts. Their business overlords expect endless growth in a limited space so no matter what, it will always end up with demands to milk the current audience more and cut more corners to up the profits and lower the expenses, because they will never have steady sub growth again, and they lost tons of subs by alienating their old playerbase trying to cater to newer and newer audiences in the chase of endless growth.

Most of the modernizations they implemented wasn't as pioneers, rather than trying to catch up to the spirit of times because they fell so far behind. They still can't solve basic technical issues like having some servers overpopulated while others semi empty.

They have no support for local markets for countries with weaker economy, nearly everyone is forced to pay in $$$ or euro except few "chosen" big countries like Russia, Canada or Australia, if my monthly salary translates to 500$ I still have to pay the same amount as in the country where average salary is 5000$ (as someone told me in another thread, there are countries like that).

Plus they aren't small indie company that needs charity donations to function. They're making billions of dollars every year. However that money isn't re-invested to the benefit of a gamer, by hiring more devs, overworking them less, and developing higher quality and more products.

Just recently, they laid off the EU forums "blue" / community representative that wrote a farewell letter. As if EU feedback wasn't already ignored. The person in question would probably say they left themselves on amicable terms, but that's how all corpos lay off people. And they'd sue them if they said anything negative, plus they probably had to sign millions NDA agreements. Now they'll probably hire an intern for half the pay.

Seriously, between "limited time longboi" and kicking the only blue that handled EU forums, f u Blizz.

Nope. I would pay 20$, but 21$ is just too greedy, in my opinion.

As long as the store items remain optional, and they are, I'd rather be paying 12 EURO as always.

Sadly, it would seem that they're not content with the money they make from releasing store mounts throughout expansions, so now they're going for in-game FOMO-tactics.

And if they continue down that path, I'm more likely to stop playing anyway.

Have to say though, people still pretending that WoW ain't a cheap-ass hobby in 2019 crack me up. The delusion is stronk!
    Now excuse me as whilst I return to Zelda: Link to the Past which cost me 60 euro for 21 hours of gameplay in total...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TickerDS View Post
    $21 dollars is, rounding up, the value of 2004 $15 today.
    Thing is this isn't relevant, because the price of building and maintaining servers (and PC gaming in general) has gone down drastically since 2004 as the technology advances...

Let's look at storage prices for example, back in 2004 the price of a gigabyte of storage (HDD) was right about $1USD... What about in 2019? The cost of 1GB of HDD storage, on a faster drive, is about $0.15USD... SSD storage is significantly cheaper than the fastest HDD storage was in 2004.

Server CPUs cost substantially less per core and they use drastically less power per core as well, RAM is also cheaper (MUCH CHEAPER), literally everything, even the internet connection, associated with running a server actually costs less now than it did back in 2004.

The sub fee isn't there to cover production costs, that's what we shell out $50+ a piece for when expansions launch, the sub fee is mostly to cover server costs.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I prefer optional non p2w micro transactions over mandatory extra fee every month. People having shiny mounts/mogs that I don't really doesn't impact my gameplay as much as having 6 less $ per month without feeling rewarded for it lol
    This right here.

I don't give a shit about the existence of a cash shop as long as it's cosmetic, and it is, no one can buy power from it so I don't care. I already have a tough time justifying the sub fee, if I couldn't almost always pay it with tokens I wouldn't even play.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-11-23 at 11:54 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    OMFG...game forums and the posters are so cute.

If you think the greed of a video game company is a problem..I hope you never ever purchase anything from Nestle or Walmart or Volkswagen, Shell, Apple, Amazon.....to name just some random companies that probably suck everything from you day by day and you happily pay for their shit without thinking twice.
    Calm down, no need to throw a tantrum!

I'm completely aware of that, it's just that at the moment I / we are talking about Blizzard :P

No, there's so few cash shop things added or incentives to bother spending that much more on a sub.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    anyone else amused the second option has the least votes and no is the highest?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRik View Post
    I'd guess it's micro-transactions
    In Blizzard's case macro transactions, because their prices are everything but micro.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The fact that you even have to ask this question is a great example of everything that is wrong with today's "HURR DURR MICTOTRANSACTIONS ARE THE MOST EVIL THING IN THE WORLD" crowd. In order to have less OPTIONAL things in the shop, you would rather force people to pay more for basic access to the game? I can't understand this backwards logic, and I don't even want to try...
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

The whole $15 a month thing was started by everquest in the 90's when server hosting cost a heck of a lot more. If anything they keep a larger percent of that $15 a month than they used to. Also a huge portion of their income is all the faction changes, realm changes, race changes, and other cash shop items. So they are making even more money than ever and could be f2p if it wasn't for the lol game dead stigma attached with going f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I prefer optional non p2w micro transactions over mandatory extra fee every month. People having shiny mounts/mogs that I don't really doesn't impact my gameplay as much as having 6 less $ per month without feeling rewarded for it lol
    The counter argument is what you would think if that extra $6 went into making content that you could play and work towards, rewarding those same shiny mounts/mogs.

Every item that's on the cash shop is one that could be a reward for actual in-game play instead of swiping the credit card. It's not even as though Blizzard needs the extra revenue to keep the game alive. It's purely, 100% exploiting whales for greed.