Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

WoW is a subscription game - why employ scummy F2P tactics?

I'm talking about utter crap like:
    -store mounts
    -character boosts
    -"get this now before it's too late and we arbitrarily remove it"
    -purchasable cosmetics
    -whale targeting
    -cute fox people

I mean yeah sure it allows Activi$$ion Bill$$ard to rake in more money but it damages the integrity of the game. You'd expect to see crap like this in games like League of Legends and all of those billions of mobile "clash of clashes" clones. Not a monthly-sub based game like WoW.

Listen up, Kotick. If you want to suck $$$ out of your hapless victims then by all means do so but do it in a separate mobile game that is clearly designed to bleed the whales dry. Leave WoW alone and let us have our fantasy RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I'm talking about utter crap like:
    -store mounts
    -character boosts
    -purchasable cosmetics
    -whale targeting
    -cute fox people

I mean yeah sure it allows Activi$$ion Bill$$ard to rake in more money but it damages the integrity of the game. You'd expect to see crap like this in games like League of Legends and all of those billions of mobile "clash of clashes" clones. Not a monthly-sub based game like WoW.

Listen up, Kotick. If you want to suck $$$ out of your hapless victims then by all means do so but do it in a separate mobile game that is clearly designed to bleed the whales dry. Leave WoW alone and let us have our fantasy RPG.
    Cause he can i guess. Until the playerbase just stops playing because they get tired of the outright greed of companies like Activision they have no reason to stop milking their playerbase.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    they do it because they can and because for the most part it doesn't hurt the game in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    they do it because they can and because for the most part it doesn't hurt the game in any way.
    Character boosts hurt the game quite a bit tbh. Just think about it. Why should anyone play through the content of an expansion when they can just drop 60$ or whatever it costs and get to max level?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It doesn't hurt the game directly - it hurts the players.

Nothing makes me want to play WoW less than seeing friends neglect their real lives to chase limited time achievements just because Blizzard arbitrarily (and without a warning) decided to nuke Deepwind Gorge.

-store mounts
    -character boosts
    -purchasable cosmetics
    -whale targeting
    -cute fox people
    One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong. I agree with your overall message. I hate the store too but you should calm down a bit. It is just a game.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

the activision juice are taking advantage of any place they can grab cash from.
    slowly but steady turning into one of those movile chinese rpgs

Nothing makes me want to play WoW less than seeing friends neglect their real lives to chase limited time achievements just because Blizzard arbitrarily (and without a warning) decided to nuke Deepwind Gorge.
    It doesn't hurt the players...AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong. I agree with your overall message. I hate the store too but you should calm down a bit. It is just a game.
    My entire post was tongue-in-cheeck. But you can't deny that the resemblance to scummy Chinese mobile games with cutesy anthropomorphic animals is there.

My entire post was tongue-in-cheeck. But you can't deny that the resemblance to scummy Chinese mobile games with cutesy anthropomorphic animals is there.
    That's your vision of them, not mine or Blizzards. They're another allied race that has nothing to do with the shitty store. WoW isn't the first non "scummy Chinese mobile game" that has a short animal race.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Literally nothing you said came across like it was intended to be tongue in cheek. Unless that tongue is rubbing against a saltpile tucked in said cheek. You really need to brush up on how that particular vein of communication works.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Literally nothing you said came across like it was intended to be tongue in cheek. Unless that tongue is rubbing against a saltpile tucked in said cheek. You really need to brush up on how that particular vein of communication works.
    It got you aggravated enough to discuss my post's style rather than content (Bill$$ard's scummy tactics) so it worked well enough

5+ Year Old Account
    <snip>
    Uh-oh m8, bad move. You've just kicked an angry wasps' nest, prepare to be swarmed by the Blizzard Defense Force in 4... 3... 2...

Btw, all the stuff you listed is quite irksome, but I'm more worried about the WoW token, because it's dangerously close to P2W territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scummy F2P practices... and... Voldunai.

How are those related? They are no different from the Tauren or Pandaren. Just another human/animal hybrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

What do you mean they decided to nuke Deepwind Gorge without warning? The changes to that BG isn't happening until 8.3, in which they released a blog post about 2 months before 8.3 is predicted to launch.

So what length of time is enough for you to say it is a "warning"?

cosmetics =/= scummy f2p tactics lol

Is anyone bitching about ff14s store at all? You know the one with a million cosmetics multiple types of boosts AND a cute catgirl and bunny race? You know since its like the only other big subscription MMO on the market......

Yall act like Blizzard forces people to pay for shit...

Lets go through points

-store mounts: hurts no one, not necessary for anything at most saves a one time gold purchase for a wyrven/griffin

Boosts- as much as people say it hurts the game....in reality there are max level people who run around having no idea how to play back in Vanilla....sooo they wanna pay the $60 to boost who cares...if Jonny 100 alts wants to skip the leveling process on alt 49 who cares, pugs suck no matter what sooner you accept that the better....also blizz doesnt force it

Whale content: wat....i mean other than some of the overpriced statues there really isnt a lot of whale content IN wow.....unless you mean people who drop a couple hundred on tokens which ...who cares

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Character boosts hurt the game quite a bit tbh. Just think about it. Why should anyone play through the content of an expansion when they can just drop 60$ or whatever it costs and get to max level?
    how does that actually hurt the game though? people who don't want to level don't have to and lose out on all the stuff you get while leveling like golds world drops ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    What do you mean they decided to nuke Deepwind Gorge without warning? The changes to that BG isn't happening until 8.3, in which they released a blog post about 2 months before 8.3 is predicted to launch.

So what length of time is enough for you to say it is a "warning"?
    At least a year if not two. This is a scummy move designed purely to shit on achievement collectors and get them to resubscribe for 8.2 and scramble to get those achievements in a mad frenzy.

Here's the problem with these threads: Having worked in the industry for over 15 years I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty why this happens from a business standpoint. Unfortunately then people come out of the woodwork and accuse me of being a shill or a "Blizzard White Knight" even though I am not defending the practice, but explaining why it exists.

Ultimately it of course comes down to money, and the fact that publicly traded companies have exactly 1 job: maximizing profit.