Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Old gods and the black empire... disappointed.

So... honestly I don't have anything against the upcoming expansion Shadowlands. But fucking seriously... we waited all this time with this shitty expansion for the coming of the old gods and black empire... And all we got is some invasions and a raid... disappointed to say the least...
    (Actually we waited far longer than just this expansion. Blizzard have hinted at the old gods since vanilla I think)

I mean... In legion we atleast went to Argus which was a whole different zone + the raid... I thought blizzard would would make some more effort with the whole old god theme... If this is the last we get with the old god N'zoth and the black empire... Then I have lost much hope.

I REALLY hope they will surprise me and they got much more content with the black empire... Becuse If it's simply a raid(Ny'alotha) and nothing more... wow...
    Last edited by The Saar; 2019-12-01 at 09:41 PM.

There is still Xal'atath that can make an old god expansion later.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    There is still Xal'atath that can make an old god expansion later.
    Yeah you're right! I mean... One could think they would reveal the fully fledged old expansion after BFA(which I thought would happend) but we got shadowlands instead.

But yeah... Xal'atath will prob make a return(hopefully) and stir up some things!

8.3 will arguably be the greatest patch on retail. If you take time to analyze everything being brought to 8.3, then you'd see that it's easily the largest content update in WoW history.

I'm looking forward to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saar View Post
    So... honestly I don't have anything against the upcoming expansion Shadowlands. But fucking seriously... we waited all this time with this shitty expansion for the coming of the old gods and black empire... And all we got is some invasions and a raid... disappointed to say the least...

I mean... In legion we atleast went to argus which was a whole different zone + the raid... I thought blizzard would would make some more effort with the whole Old god theme... If this is the last we get with the Old god N'zoth and the black empire... Then I have lost much hope.

I REALLY hope they will surprise me and they got much more content with the black empire... Becuse If it's simply a raid and nothing more... wow... And what about Ny'Alotha????
    Well, the raid is Ny'alotha. And it does look rad, basically as awesome as I ever pictured it.

But... yeah, I know what you mean. I wanted more out of it. Out of the Black Empire of the Old Gods reborn on Azeroth.

I would have loved for Ny'alotha and its visual aesthetic to be the basis for a series of zones in the vein of Argus. A region with the city over-lapping into Azeroth, a region of the city itself with its towering spires and non-euclidean geometries, and region overflowing with the fleshy corruption of N'Zoth and its most lovecraftian eldritch extensions. And a dedicated campaign that steadily unfolds as you progress like the Argus storyline.

It's probably the first time that I've ever been well and truly disappointed with a decision by Blizzard since they axed Azjol-Nerub as a full zone back in Wrath of the Lich King. Even when Blizz does stuff that most players think is trash, like Warlords of Draenor bad, I usually concentrate on the upside. With WoD I still enjoyed it, I just didn't enjoy it as much as other stuff.

But I am truly disappointed that Ny'alotha and the Black Empire has arrived but it doesn't get its own dedicated zone. Still, I'll have to wait and experience the entire patch, the way it transforms Uldum and the Eternal Vale and the various cities might still be cool. And I'm sure the raid itself will be great.

And @mario710 is right, the patch does look really dense with stuff. Maybe it'll be more enjoyable than we think when you actually dig into it.

Quote Originally Posted by mario710 View Post
    8.3 will arguably be the greatest patch on retail. If you take time to analyze everything being brought to 8.3, then you'd see that it's easily the largest content update in WoW history.

can i have what ever you are on? sure they actually got rid of the infinity grind, but corruption is still a horrible mechanic, classes are still boring and pvp is continued to be ignored.

Most of the content this patch just looks like 80% reused assets. The raid is the only thing that looks unique. I really hoped for a zone but guess it is what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Most of the content this patch just looks like 80% reused assets. The raid is the only thing that looks unique. I really hoped for a zone but guess it is what it is.
    If you look close enough most of the game is reused assets... even Antorus in legion was a bunch of ICC assets tinted green. Game Development without reusing assets would take an exorbitant amount of time.
    Aye mate

??? There isnt even a new zone. How can this be the "largest content update"?? I want what you are on. All I have seen is reskinned invasions that are actually dreams and aren't even real and that shitty corruption mechanic.

Wow... really? I think it will be the biggest disappointment ever. It really has nothing interesting in it at all. There are some good changes to the game overall but the content itself is just terrible. People will be bored of it quickly cause it's pointless to grind gear which will be completely replaced anyway with the new expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saar View Post

I mean... In legion we atleast went to argus which was a whole different zone + the raid... I thought blizzard would would make some more effort with the whole Old god theme... If this is the last we get with the Old god N'zoth and the black empire... Then I have lost much hope.

I REALLY hope they will surprise me and they got much more content with the black empire... Becuse If it's simply a raid and nothing more... wow... And what about Ny'Alotha????
    100% agree. But with the „Bli$$ard“ of the last few years, i expected nothing else then:

- a horrible flat and bad story
    - loose ends
    - cheap shit
    - throwing in big villains like Aszhara or (in Legion) Kiljaeden, just for the sake of next raid
    - make nothing out of big villains besides being a raid puppet
    - totally wasted Nzoth
    - totally wasted Old god theme just for the sake of Fiiiiillers
    - cheap shit
    - no black empire
    - did i mentioned cheap shit ?

seriously. i lost all trust in Blizzard when it comes down to retail, especially story wise and ideas wise. do not get me wrong. SL sounds like a good deal. i am totally fine to have improved game design, better class design, returning abilities, better alt support instead of the next 0815 class. SL looks fine to me. but it didnt surprised me a second that they again, go full 180 degree story and game style wise instead going the started old god route. it didnt surprised me a second that one of the biggest aspects in lore (old gods) are cokpletely wasted as filler shit, like ashzara, guldan, kiljaeden and so on. and i am also sure as hell, as much as SL sounds game design wise great to me, they will suck again with that cheap shit patch brackets route they go since Legion.

I was not surprised a second about „oh yeah, here is quickly that old god thing, filler 8.3 have fun! btw here is our new xpac on the horizon! preorder SL ! order now!“ NOT. A. SECOND.

They wasted too much of the expansion on the faction battle. The last, I dunno, 3 patches should've be completely Old-God.

5+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I always thought that Ny' Alotha was going to be Argus V2. It was quite disappointing that it wasn't. The raid has so much effort put in the layout as well but I guess it is what it is.

I'm still excited for what's to come anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's hoping it'll be re-used in later plot points in the same way other raids have been used later along the line, instanced as they are.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

The void and shadowlands are in competition for souls i think we are in for a surprise next expansion. This is my theory the dagger (wrath has it) is used to imprison the old god in 8.3 thinking we got him and wrath will travel to the shadowlands to destroy it in (forgot the name given for the orb will call it orb) orb but this was the old gods plan all along. The old god who was in the blade said "even death suits him" aka the old god she is talking about. Remember old gods cant go to the shadowlands they need a way in to consume all. They state "She will open the way" aka what happened in trailer then says "all eyes will be open" So the dagger could be a key aka way in for him. Where he can consume all souls. I feel this is the way they are going yes i might be wrong but ill place my bet. (cause we all think he dies and they want us to think that) there was a leak that was almost 100% right on this next expansion and the old god theory was one of them so maybe it is or maybe it is not. Also "The lord of ravens will turn the key."
    have not been answered yet. Wrath = lord?

This is my theory for end of 8.3 start of 9.0

I would have liked more N'Zoth and less Sylvanas as well, but oh well. I personally doubt that even IF we kill N'zoth the Old Gods will not reappear. As someone already said Xala'tath is out there and already promised a reunion and there is Alleria too who might be having a directly line to the Void Lords.

Besides in the grand plan of things the Old Gods were only ever flunkies of the Void Lords. They are only "gods" because they declare themselves to be, they are much like Il'gynoth simply sentient tumors sent to grow and overtake the soul of our planet. That is why their plans rarely involve our collective extinction (contrary to whatever Sylvanas is up to). We are not their enemies, they see us as servants willing or unwilling, but they feel no hatred towards us.

In fact I believe that N'zoth very much wants to stop Sylvanas and by defeating him, we prevent him from doing that. It would have been incredibly cool if we could make a pact with him at the end of BFA to fight Sylvanas and her Jailer BFF with the power of the Void. If indeed the Light has made a pact with Death (the enemy of all) then the Void making a pact with Life (represented by us) would have been a sweet deal.

If people get to be Sylvanas loyalists I feel we should be allowed to be N'zoth loyalists with our own story line

Ny'Alotha is basically Azjol'Nerub 2.0.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I would have liked more N'Zoth and less Sylvanas as well, but oh well. I personally doubt that even IF we kill N'zoth the Old Gods will not reappear. As someone already said Xala'tath is out there and already promised a reunion and there is Alleria too who might be having a directly line to the Void Lords.

Besides in the grand plan of things the Old Gods were only ever flunkies of the Void Lords. They are only "gods" because they declare themselves to be, they are much like Il'gynoth simply sentient tumors sent to grow and overtake the soul of our planet. That is why their plans rarely involve our collective extinction (contrary to whatever Sylvanas is up to). We are not their enemies, they see us as servants willing or unwilling, but they feel no hatred towards us.

In fact I believe that N'zoth very much wants to stop Sylvanas and by defeating him, we prevent him from doing that. It would have been incredibly cool if we could make a pact with him at the end of BFA to fight Sylvanas and her Jailer BFF with the power of the Void. If indeed the Light has made a pact with Death (the enemy of all) then the Void making a pact with Life (represented by us) would have been a sweet deal.

If people get to be Sylvanas loyalists I feel we should be allowed to be N'zoth loyalists with our own story line
    Honestly, I think the coolest time to have made a pact with N'Zoth would have been Legion - we actually let him loose and he turns the Faceless and his other servants against the demons. That would've made for an awesome image, with the armies of Azeroth good and bad charging into battle against the Legion. Obviously it would've openly been an 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' situation with both sides knowing they would turn on each other when it was over. But Old God vs. Legion would've been great.

In future I suspect we'll actually get Legion vs. Void, with Sargeras and the demons fighting on our side against the Void Lords.

Quote Originally Posted by Archipelagos View Post
    Ny'Alotha is basically Azjol'Nerub 2.0.
    That cuts deep.

I just think it should have been :wow the black empire since the beginning. And not battle for azeroth. But you know... Sylvanas build up. Because she has to be the center of everything.

Yeah, really disappointed in what I've seen in the next patch. Was really hoping to get an explorable zone, but it looks like it's going to be a bunch of existing zones as phased content? And Legion invasions rebranded as N'Zoth invasions with obelisks instead of ships? lol The whole concept seems pretty lazy, but I guess that's pretty par for the course with everything being focused on mobile-oriented mission boards and grinding world quests or "artifact power."

I think from a story perspective it could be interesting if we finish up with the whole Azeroth titan dying concept and tackling N'Zoth, but the fact that it will probably be mostly told in the raid is sad.

Also, this corrupted gear thing looks really convoluted. It already feels like a disaster trying to get Azerite and essences on more than one character, but now we have some gear that gives us detrimental effects.. why? Like, just for the sake of doing something different?

Excited for Vulpera, but that's the extent. Even the armor designs I've seen, (granted throughout a large portion of this expansion), just look terrible. As someone that's been gone since before the Mage Tower events in Legion, it feels like this entire expansion is just filler. Which is really sad when you think about the fact that Azshara and N'zoth alone could have warranted their own expansion. Instead she gets shoved in as aftermath to this faction war which ultimately just winds up relentlessly focusing on Jaina and Sylvannas.

I don't know. I'm excited for Shadowlands simply for the fact that we'll be diving into new lore territory and can hopefully do it a little more justice than they've done with Azshara/N'Zoth.

Really like the raid layout of Nya'lotha though. Just wish it had an open world map version.