How to quickly gear up an alt from scratch for pvp?

Hey
    I am recently back to the game and wanted to level an alt to 120, currently 116. Wanted to know below:

1. Is it possible to just keep doing arenas/bgs to gear up? Or do I still have to do pve contents too?
    2. For essences, how do they scale in pvp? And are they *extremely* important in pvp? Like is having 3 major essences a huge advantage than having only 2 in pvp?
    3. Is there currently any azerite level catch-up mechanics so that I can get my major essences slot quick? If yes what are they?
    4. Do I have to do raids or m+s at all?
    5. What would you suggest me to do once I got to level 120?
    6. Is ret pally and frost dk any good in the current meta for PVP? I don't see many ret pallys in the leaderboard
    Thanks guys!

1: No, you need to grind m+ and the raid to get geared accordingly (you should spam Mythic 7 to grind your best azer pieces, without good traits, you will be ganked easily and try to obtain some of the OP raid trinkets
    2: Some of the essences are slightly less strong in pvp. Not having 3 essences will put you behind, A LOT
    3: No
    4: See 1
    5: Grind neck level to 65, spam m+7 for azerite pieces, then m10+ for the other items, depending on your bis secondary stats, get your essences in order
    6: Ret is quite good, they have insane burst but are very very susceptible to slows. Stronger in 2's than in 3's. FDK is good in 3's, UH is stronger in 2's imho.

Goodluck with the PVE grind before you can do Pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Nervyz View Post
    1: No, you need to grind m+ and the raid to get geared accordingly (you should spam Mythic 7 to grind your best azer pieces, without good traits, you will be ganked easily and try to obtain some of the OP raid trinkets
    2: Some of the essences are slightly less strong in pvp. Not having 3 essences will put you behind, A LOT
    5: Grind neck level to 65, spam m+7 for azerite pieces, then m10+ for the other items, depending on your bis secondary stats, get your essences in order
    6: Ret is quite good, they have insane burst but are very very susceptible to slows. Stronger in 2's than in 3's. FDK is good in 3's, UH is stronger in 2's imho.

Not sure why you're suggesting him to spam M+7 for azerite pieces, you can't get azerite pieces from M+

You can ONLY get azerite pieces from Mythic 0.
    Second, you can catch up your neck to Level 35 by doing the Mechagon introduction quest, that or some other questline. There is NO REASON to grind to 35 when there's a questline that will unlock it. I'm pretty sure it's the Mechagon stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by scelero View Post
    You can ONLY get azerite pieces from Mythic 0.
    Second, you can catch up your neck to Level 35 by doing the Mechagon introduction quest, that or some other questline. There is NO REASON to grind to 35 when there's a questline that will unlock it. I'm pretty sure it's the Mechagon stuff.
    Dono why you go around and tell people false information. But whatever floats your boat i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by scelero View Post
    nah you get it from the very beginning of the nazjatar introductory quests after magni sends you to highmountain to get your first essence

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Dono why you go around and tell people false information. But whatever floats your boat i guess.
    he's slightly off on one point.

- - - Updated - - -

And Technically correct on the other point
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    he's slightly off on one point.

- - - Updated - - -

And Technically correct on the other point
    You don't get Neck lvls from mechagon quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    like I said, slightly off.

you get it before Mechagon
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Nervyz View Post

Pretty much this. I will only add that trying to gear up through bgs/arena is pain in the ass and is MUCH slower than grinding M+, which is by far the fastest and most efficient way to gear up your character fast.

Biggest problem would be leveling your neck. To be honest, with 8.3 coming out soon, I wouldn't bother trying to gear up now and just wait for next season to start fresh. I kinda feel this season will be over before you get your character ready for any competitive pvp.

Perhaps it's a bit offtopic, but there might be something wrong with the reward structure of PvP if the best suggestion to gear yourself is to do M+.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Perhaps it's a bit offtopic, but there might be something wrong with the reward structure of PvP if the best suggestion to gear yourself is to do M+.
    Well, it definately is for a while so.

Since honor vendor changes, random bgs give absolute nothing for the trouble and time spent there, and thats the most basic pvp you can get for an alt before arenas.

I'd rather suggest to grind some cp with pvp isles to get geared, you get gear rather quickly that way.

Best solution would be to fix random bg rewards, people spending much time there, should get rewarded, increase ilvl of drops and its frequency and increase cp for wins.

Obviously, blizz doesn't care about pvp at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    It's not a problem with PvP. It's a problem with the whole game. If you want to do anything then this is what you have to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

PVP gear is garbage for pvp. OH THE IRONY!
    You will need to grind m+ like all of us, in order to get the best gear, otherwise you will be..."outplayed" by pve-ers with much better gear, especially out in wpvp where there is no template either.

Blizzard decided to make pvp gear trash because they saw that many pve players would farm bgs to get decent gear for raids, which was faster than farming dungeons. So they decided to make pvp gear worth just the transmog value.

Unless, of course, you are high rated arena material, but then those guys are like 1%.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2019-12-06 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    PVP gear is garbage for pvp. OH THE IRONY!
    You will need to grind m+ like all of us, in order to get the best gear, otherwise you will be..."outplayed" by pve-ers with much better gear, especially out in wpvp where there is no template either.
    Untrue. I tested this recently with a sub rogue and soothing darkness active.

You get 3% max health per sec in wm off, so good so far.

You also get 3%max health per sec in wm on, as long as you only combat pve mobs, but if you attack anything pvp related, other players but also even PVP GUARDS, the template will be activated and its 1% max health per sec.

So, there definatly is the ability/talent template active.