Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Shame that the Hulk is seen as comedy...

    That's some deep stuff.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Evans has wanted to get out of acting to direct for years now; he phased himself out to the point his MCU work has largely been the only projects he's taken lately and he apparently opted not to renew his contract, instead working on a per-film basis after it ran out. It's got nothing to do with [insert agenda here] unless/until we hear it from his own mouth.

    As far as Hulk, the Hulk's movie rights are in a messy spot right now. Solo films headlined by the Hulk have to split profits with Universal, at least until Marvel can resecure full movie rights, and furthermore, Marvel seems unwilling to give the Hulk another outing on his own after The Incredible Hulk didn't meet expectations. Banner just seems to work better in the MCU as a deuteragonist/supporting role.
    You know so much about Chris Evans.... Except the fact he's in a movie that just released. So he's not done with acting. Movie is knives out btw
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  3. #123
    Hulk was treated poorly in infinity war because he's stronger than Thanos, and they weren't good enough writers to deal with it.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Hulk was treated poorly in infinity war because he's stronger than Thanos, and they weren't good enough writers to deal with it.
    I dunno Thanos vs hulk was made out to be the Smart strong guy vs angry strong guy and it was cool when Thanos was more targeted and disabled him in a hand to hand fight. But the rest of the film he's comedic relief and he fixes his problems off screen for end game and was again just comedic relief. They didn't do anything with it other than make a taco meme
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  5. #125
    Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    2,623
    Their main focus right now is developing new characters.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

  6. #126
    Thanos should have dealt with the Hulk the same way he dealt with Champion and simply teleport him away:

    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  7. #127
    High Overlord Medievaldragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    167
    Technically, Hulk could be in the Marvel Seasonal DisneyPlus series without using the term "HULK" in the title. For example, we know Fantastic Four and the Xmen are coming to the MCU. There is nothing impeding Silver Surfer or Namor to show up in DisneyPlus series before they make their debut in the MCU in films (post-Fox licenses acquisition).

    Hulk could very well show up in a DisneyPlus THE DEFENDERS title. The original 1971 comics incarnation of The Defenders included: Dr. Strange, The Hulk, Silver Surfer, and Namor.

    There was a roster rotation over the years including: Angel, Beast, Daimon Hellstrom, Gargoyle, Hawkeye, Hellcat, Luke Cage, Nighthawk, Valkyrie; and others.

    DisneyPlus' What If offers the opportunity to have Hulk every now and then. Old Man Logan's universe. Maestro.

    Wolverine could be introduced in a Wolverine vs Hulk film.

    Ruffalo could also show up as Doc Green in someone else's show as a regular support character that cross-visits different shows as a guest. As a matter of fact, if Ruffalo showed up in one of the DisneyPlus shows, he could introduce Jennifer. Later, she gets the accident that forces Bruce to share his blood to save her. Then from DisneyPlus, she jumps into her She-Hulk film.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    The reason he got the first MCU movie was because they sold the film rights to their A-listers. Nobody was knocking down the door to make an Iron Man film. You think they would have started the MCU with Iron Man if they had access to Spider-Man, the X-men, or even the Fantastic Four?
    Have you ever considered the possibility that all those things could be popular at the same time? I'd also argue Fantastic Four is less popular than Iron Man. I don't have any hard numbers to back it up, but I read comics heavily as a child, and my friends and I were way more into Hulk/Thor/Iron Man than we were Fantastic Four. We were also really into X-Men and Spidey, but they already had their own movies. The MCU was designed from the ground up around the Avengers. Iron Man was a great way to kick that off.

  9. #129
    Scarab Lord Leotheras the Blind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In SSC banished by Murkbloods again.
    Posts
    4,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    They are always taking the mantle briefly. It always reverts back to the original within a few years. You want to pretend its different now because it justifies your outrage...but it's always the same thing. Dick Grayson was Batman...until Bruce Wayne returned. James Rhodes was Iron Man...Until Tony Stark returned. John Walker, Bucky Barnes, Sam Wilson...all temporarily Captain America until Steve Rogers returned.

    Marvel Comics bankruptcy period came a lot earlier than you think it did. It was in the 90's with them finally filing for bankruptcy in 1997. That's why they had to start selling off film rights to their biggest IP's. After the successful release of Iron Man...they were making real money. Disney didn't buy Marvel because it was a failing company...they bought it because they wanted in on that action.

    You got anything else I can prove you wrong about?
    Except for the fact that they're now using the reboot, not covering a mantel briefly. Anything else I can prove you wrong about?
    You know, it's kinda funny. On this forum you can question and criticize celebrities, developers, even governments. But only two you will net you instant infractions; religion and the actions of moderators. Really puts into perspective the literal god complexes we're dealing with here.

  10. #130
    Fantastic Four used to be their top selling comic book. They even put it on the cover during the 70s-80s "World's Greatest Comic Magazine."
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstantinetheGreat View Post
    Have you ever considered the possibility that all those things could be popular at the same time? I'd also argue Fantastic Four is less popular than Iron Man. I don't have any hard numbers to back it up, but I read comics heavily as a child, and my friends and I were way more into Hulk/Thor/Iron Man than we were Fantastic Four. We were also really into X-Men and Spidey, but they already had their own movies. The MCU was designed from the ground up around the Avengers. Iron Man was a great way to kick that off.
    The MCU was designed from the ground up with the Avengers because that's what they had left. If they could have started with Spider-Man or the X-Men...they would have done that...but they didn't own the film rights.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Except for the fact that they're now using the reboot, not covering a mantel briefly. Anything else I can prove you wrong about?
    Exactly which characters are taking up the mantle of old ones then? I'd really like to see you prove me wrong on anything...because so far you've been whiffing pretty hard.


    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Thanos should have dealt with the Hulk the same way he dealt with Champion and simply teleport him away:

    In their first battle Thanos just beat him down. Thanos likes to get a bit of rough and Tumble every now and then.

    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2019-11-28 at 01:06 AM.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    He had a pretty big role in thor:ragnarok thou. If they can get away with a movie with that much screen time of the hulk i don't see it as a huge limitation.
    If the Hulk is the lead then Universal has the right to distribute the movie. If he's not then they don't. Since the studio and the distributor split what's left after the theaters take their cut its in the studios interest to not give up half of that money to the distributor. It's that simple. As for how much they used the Hulk in Ragnarok they were nowhere near the point where that would have been an issue.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    In their first battle Thanos just beat him down. Thanos likes to get a bit of rough and Tumble every now and then.
    Yeah!
    I have to say though that it didn't gel well with me that Champion, supposedly a master martial artist/fighter for centuries if not millennia, couldn't have taken him hand-to-hand.

    I prefer Thanos' 2nd encounter which seemed to me more fitting.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryci View Post
    That is the same thing. Marvel still owns the character.
    Publishing rights apply to printed media. That's not even close to the same thing.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yeah!
    I have to say though that it didn't gel well with me that Champion, supposedly a master martial artist/fighter for centuries if not millennia, couldn't have taken him hand-to-hand.

    I prefer Thanos' 2nd encounter which seemed to me more fitting.
    Well, to be fair, Thanos didn't actually beat Champion in combat....he held his own until he could trick Champion into destroying the planet they were on. He probably wouldn't be able to beat Champion while he had the Power Stone. Thanos really does like getting into a good brawl every now and then though... but he never loses sight of his actual objective. With Champion, all he really wanted was the Power Gem. So, he extorted it out of Champion in exchange for not leaving him floating helplessly in space for eternity.

    Thanos' strength and durability are not to be trifled with however. He's tanked hits from Galactus and even managed to knock him down.


    Obviously kind of catching Galactus off guard...but still impressive.


    Even Galactus is impressed. He has to actually exert himself.

  16. #136
    Scarab Lord Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Their main focus right now is developing new characters.
    Which is exactly what they should be doing.

    I don't know if this was already brought up here, but there are a couple major reasons they cannot treat the MCU movies the same as the comics. The biggest (and yeah I know this is obvious but stick with me) comic characters are not real people. You can keep writing comics about Iron Man forever with no problem as long as people are willing to keep reading them. Cannot really do the same with the movies without doing one of two things; either change who is inside the Iron Man armor or recast Tony Stark. The actor aging is probably the most obvious reason for this, but in the eyes of the studio not the biggest one. That comes down to salary. When ever you have a successful franchise, the lead actors are obviously going to want a part of that success. That usually means either a percentage of the money taken in at the box office or a bigger up front salary for the next movie. Disney simply cannot afford to just keep casting the same actors and paying them more and more money. Example. Robert Downey Jr.'s salary for the first Iron Man is said to be somewhere around $500k. You know what it was for Endgame? $75mil. That is just not sustainable.

    So. We are going to get one of three options. Iron Man is retired from the MCU for good outside of maybe a cameo or bringing Tony back down the line someplace. Or, they recast Tony with a different, less expensive actor. Or, they retire Tony for good but have a new character pick up the mantle of Iron Man. That last one is the most likely since Iron Man is too well known a brand now to shelf for good.

    And this goes for all of the original MCU Avengers. Going back to the original point of this thread, they could just bring back Mark Ruffalo to play Banner again or they could take this opportunity to change things up a bit and bring in someone new to play Amadeus Cho? Give the Hulk a new outlook and save some cash as well.

  17. #137
    Beyond not wanting to give up distribution profits, where the distribution costs are being spent is vitally important. The where in this case is about 80% TV, broadcast and cable.

    So lets say we've a Hulk film. Expect it to do Ant-Man 1 Box Office. Around $500 million. Our Production budget is $150 million and the Distribution budget is $90 million. If 80% of the latter goes to TV and Universal controls what networks are advertised you can bet most of the ads will appear on NBC/Universal networks. That is a lot of why Hell will freeze over before we get a Hulk film.

  18. #138
    Scarab Lord Leotheras the Blind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In SSC banished by Murkbloods again.
    Posts
    4,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    The MCU was designed from the ground up with the Avengers because that's what they had left. If they could have started with Spider-Man or the X-Men...they would have done that...but they didn't own the film rights.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Exactly which characters are taking up the mantle of old ones then?
    Thor: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...ay-female-thor
    Captain America will be replaced by Falcon, using the name Captain America.
    Ironheart, which is the same exact thing as iron man only black, female, smarter, and younger.
    I wouldn't doubt if they bring in Cho as The Hulk as well since they're doing the rest of the dumpster fire.
    You know, it's kinda funny. On this forum you can question and criticize celebrities, developers, even governments. But only two you will net you instant infractions; religion and the actions of moderators. Really puts into perspective the literal god complexes we're dealing with here.

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Disney simply cannot afford to just keep casting the same actors and paying them more and more money. Example. Robert Downey Jr.'s salary for the first Iron Man is said to be somewhere around $500k. You know what it was for Endgame? $75mil. That is just not sustainable.
    I see the point, but I disagree on sustainability.
    Productions find it hard to change a popular actor in a role s/he defined without screwing over the production itself.
    Frankly I think Disney has a future PR problem. The box office take for future movies will likely take a hit. And that will be perceived as negative.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    The reason he got the first MCU movie was because they sold the film rights to their A-listers. Nobody was knocking down the door to make an Iron Man film. You think they would have started the MCU with Iron Man if they had access to Spider-Man, the X-men, or even the Fantastic Four?

    - - - Updated - - -



    The issue with Hulk is not a lack of ideas...the issue is that Universal still owns the distribution rights to any future Hulk movies. If the MCU wants to make a Hulk-centric movie...Universal gets firsts chance of refusal for distribution. It makes making a solo Hulk movie financially impractical. However, Marvel has the film rights to Hulk...so they can use him in any non-Hulk movie free and clear.
    So, he basically has to play second string or be part of a team? Then, take one of the great stories from the over 500 issues of Hulk comics and make him the most well developed second string in film history.

    I'm not even really the biggest Hulk fan (more of an X-Men fan), I do like him though. It just seems ridiculous that they have to ask for pitches for the Hulk when there are so many Hulk stories already out there.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •