Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Disney cannot use Hulk yet as a main character, they still don't have the rights. They can only use him as a secondary character, which will forever be a waste of a hero imo. I'd rather not see Hulk anywhere than having a dumbed down Hulk being useless all day long as we had recently.

Let's wait until Disney buys Universal
    It's all that *who owns who* bullshit. Why Marvel cant use certain heroes or villains because they don't own the rights anymore. It's sad..
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    It's all that *who owns who* bullshit. Why Marvel cant use certain heroes or villains because they don't own the rights anymore. It's sad..
    That's indeed sad but that's the game... Same as I'll forever regret not seeing any Disney-owned references in Ready Player One (no Star Wars, no Marvel...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Or maybe look at the actually story lines they're moving to before going off on me. Grow up.
    So in your mind the only reason anyone would ever make a superhero movie where the hero isn't a white male is because they are just a bunch of beta SJW cucks who are just trying to appease the Hollywood libtards because that is what's popular right now? Alright.

And lets go nuts and pretend that actually is true, what exactly is so crazy about that? Movies are made to make money and if super PC-correct movies with a diverse cast of characters are what's hot, why wouldn't they try and take advantage of that?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineSamantha View Post
    Let's also not forget that Iron Man was a c-list character before getting adapted into a movie.
    lolwut? Tony Stark was always a popular Character for years/decades before the movie adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    lolwut? Tony Stark was always a popular Character for years/decades before the movie adaptations.
    its cute when people try to head canon things like Kevin Fiege and the Mouse gang drew up this cinema domination plan and knew to start with as they try to claim a "C-rank hero" to make him into something even greater.

When in reality they just ran focus study groups on kids and found most of them picked out Ironman when they had a choice of all the avengers as toys in front of them so decided started with him
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Popularity wise yes if we compare him against Spider-Man, Superman and Batman but those got movies that made them more popular with the average joe. In-universe Stark was always important and among one of the most sold comics characters in the marvel house
    Yeah wrong. First of all Iron man didn't even break the top 10 of sales (overall and looking year by year sales).

Second it was sold out because they were generally low volume prints compared to batman, superman, and all the far more popular heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Well, they have the film rights for the Hulk...they just don't have the distribution rights. So they can continue to use Hulk in anything that isn't strictly a Hulk movie. Aside from that, they at least have access to most of the characters now...pretty much everyone except some of the Spider-Man characters that Sony is holding back for their own stuff. It would be nice if Sony and Disney could come to a full two-way partnership where Spider-verse characters could appear in MCU films and vice versa...but that's probably too much to hope for.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Or maybe not. It's not like they've stopped making movies starring white males. Christ, you people are so sensitive....the second they release a movie where a White Male isn't the main star...it becomes "oh they're only interesting in making PC movies now". Grow up.
    Maybe because it is so blatant these days and half the promotion for the movies is about how Woke it is. I can't remember seeing any kind of hate for the Blade Movies or Kill Bill or the plethora of Jet Li movies in the early 2000's because they just cast the Actors, made the movies and released it. Now when they do it half the fucking press junkets are them talking about "Like omg how empowered we are cuz we black now" or "This movie is a pioneer cuz Women lead!" When there have been plenty of movies previously with "minority" actors that People loved.

The MCU started with Iron Man because he was the biggest character they had that they still had the film rights for. They sold off the film rights to all their A-listers like Spider-Man, The X-Men, and the Fantastic Four. I wouldn't say Iron Man was C-list...but certainly B-list.

I can't believe you lot and how you think. My favorite character in any hero scenario is Spawn. A black man. I'd be just as outraged if they replaced him with a hispanic social just pushing character that calls himself also spawn. No, that's bad and dumb writing. If you see this specifically as a race only issue, you're a fucking racist.
    What characters are they replacing with "Social Justice Pushing characters"? Also, "Spawn is my favourite character, so I can't be racist" sounds a lot like "I have a Black friend, so i can't be racist"

Also the storylines they're going to be using now are from the comics that tanked marvel comics so low that disney could just outright buy them out.
    Disney is one of the biggest companies in the world. Marvel, on it's own, was never even close to them.

And DC is owned by WB...so the two largest Comic Book Companies are owned by even larger companies

Maybe because it is so blatant these days and half the promotion for the movies is about how Woke it is. I can't remember seeing any kind of hate for the Blade Movies or Kill Bill or the plethora of Jet Li movies in the early 2000's because they just cast the Actors, made the movies and released it. Now when they do it half the fucking press junkets are them talking about "Like omg how empowered we are cuz we black now" or "This movie is a pioneer cuz Women lead!" When there have been plenty of movies previously with "minority" actors that People loved.
    The sad part is that it feels like this extends well beyond the promotional aspect and into the creativity process of the films. Quite a bit of this film promotion/creation mentality revolves around shallow thinking, which makes sense since it's based in the shallowness of "woke" identity politics. It's quite an irrational time when the "rational" identity politics response is judging the worth of someone/something based upon skin color, sex, orientation, etc. of the lead character(s). If it were just random people stating such nonsensical things about these films, one could pass it off as crazy or insanely dumb people protesting about nothing.... but it's the producers/directors/actors of the films themselves espousing such absurdities about their own work!

To shallow people who live in their own bubble (like these producers/directors/actors), the outcome of a film ends up pretty binary. If the films fail, it's because people aren't "woke" like the producers/directors/actors in the film. If the film succeeds, it's because people embrace the "woke" culture. To a rational person with some level of self-awareness, the success or failure of a film boils down to whether it was actually entertaining and/or palatable as a whole, not if it's "woke". What should be very clear (as this happens in government, as well) is that the main focus of the "woke" producers/directors/actors is not the film's entertainment value or the enjoyment of the people who are going to watch the film, it's identity politics and the message. Worst part is that their behavior and hostile mannerisms in response to the rejection of said films, where even if you think you're "woke" yet don't like their film... well, obvious you're not "woke" enough and part of the problem. It's an all-or-nothing game, and even then it's never enough.

What does this have to do with Chris Evans? Well, unless he comes out and say something about his acting career decisions, we'll never know for sure. However, it's no secret that he's left-leaning, and has dabbled his toe in the "woke" culture before. To put it bluntly, as I think someone else joked, he's very low on the totem pole when it comes to his value in the land of "woke" identity politics. If he's started to see that he's being weighed and measured not by his acting ability or potential contributions to a film project but his skin/sex/etc. and his level of embracing all that is "woke", I would not blame him in the slightest for stepping away from such a toxic environment. It's all just another form of racism, where the content of your character and the contributions you can make are always secondary to your skin color, your sex, orientation, etc.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2019-11-27 at 09:35 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Disney cannot use Hulk yet as a main character, they still don't have the rights. They can only use him as a secondary character, which will forever be a waste of a hero imo. I'd rather not see Hulk anywhere than having a dumbed down Hulk being useless all day long as we had recently.

Let's wait until Disney buys Universal
    He had a pretty big role in thor:ragnarok thou. If they can get away with a movie with that much screentime of the hulk i dont see it as a huge limitation.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Careful with that stretch you'll pull something, bigot. Majority of my favorites aren't even men, let alone white. Psylocke is my favorite from marvel, and second favorite hero. She's an asian character. Again, if they replaced her with a white woman (they did temp and I dropped the comic harder than you drop hate on whites) And by replacing a hero and keeping their original name for "inclusivity" is literally killing off heroes to make things less white rather than reinvent characters. for DC it's Raven, again if they replaced her with say an Australian man, I'd freak out just as hard.
    Actually originally, Psylocke was a white woman. She's Captain Britains twin sister. You should know this if you're such a big fan.

EDIT:

I saw that I had a notification...but by the time I checked it just said "Deleted Post"...I wonder who that might have been and why they felt the need to almost immediately delete the post.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2019-11-27 at 10:10 AM.

Hulk really feels like a supporting character to me nowadays. There were a couple early MCU hulk movies but i don't think any of them did very well.

Honestly he kinda felt like the comic relief lately, and I don't think that's enough for a standalone movie. So yeah, that puts him in "we'll see if we can fit you in (as a support character in another hero's movie)" territory.
    Last edited by horbindr; 2019-11-27 at 10:32 AM.

Not me, because I don't delete things, I keep them open right or wrong.

Also, didn't know about that as I didn't start reading comics till the 90's so I only know bits from the 80's till now. And now my love for psylocke fell into nothingness. Again, I hate race washing characters for any stupid reasons. Thank you for making me hate a character I loved.
    I didn't "make" you do anything... but you're welcome anyway. It's not exactly a secret that she's Captain Britain's sister. Are you sure you were actually reading the comics and not just looking at the pictures?

Also, she's one of the only examples of actual "race-washing" a character. There have been times when another character picked up the mantle of an existing character....but it's still a different character. Tony Stark wasn't turned into a black man... James Rhodes just took on the mantle of Iron Man. There have been multiple characters using the mantles of Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, and Thor... but there's only ever been one Peter Parker (except for Clones), Steve Rogers (again except for clones), Tony Stark (except when he was replaced by his younger self), and Thor Odinson (except for that Cyborg/clone thingy).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    Hulk really feels like a supporting character to me nowadays. There were a couple early MCU hulk movies but i don't think any of them did very well.

Honestly he kinda felt like the comic relief lately, and I don't think that's enough for a standalone movie. So yeah, that puts him in "we'll see if we can fit you in (as a support character in another hero's movie)" territory.
    There was only one MCU hulk movie.The other Hulk movie is not connected. The reason there hasnt been more Hulk movies is that, while Disney owns the film rights to Hulk, Universal still holds distribution rights. So Disney can use Hulk...but only in movies where he isn't the main star.

Ruffalo reciting something someone else said isn't the same as someone else having said what Ruffalo said.
    You're just jumping to the most random conclusions because, lemme just do the same here, you seem to be one of those the MCU is obviously dead now boys, let's all start trashtalking it because that's what the cool kids do now people.

Think you are over thinking it dude...... Its been over 10 years with the frontline characters as much as id like them to stay they cant all be there forever. The movies dont work like the comics where they can just reboot it or eternally stay 35 years old. When Iron man 1 came out i never expected we would have the MCU where it is now.

Its obvious after trying Hulk before and it not being great they never had himset out for another Solo movie (with the rights complications as well). 10 years ago i remember hearing that Feige that things planned on a white board somewhere till 2021, im sure now he has a rough layout for things till 2030.

When they pick up the mantel they seldom take their name, and the only time they do take their name is so that people won't think that character died or whatever. Yes, I was reading the comics, in the 90's xmen comics as far as I can honest to god remember they didn't mention any of that.
    They've always taken the name. James Rhodes became Iron Man (and later War Machine). John Walker became Captain America (and later US Agent). Erik Masterson became Thor (later Thunderstrike). Danny Ketch became Ghostrider. Etc Etc Etc.

Not just Marvel either. How many Robins have their been? How many Batmans?
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2019-11-27 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryci View Post
    They can use Hulk as a main character... it has always been a main character in the MCU they just can't make a stand alone Hulk movie because the publishing rights belong to Universal.
    Its distribution rights that Universal owns.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Its distribution rights that Universal owns.
    That is the same thing. Marvel still owns the character.