Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yeah!
    I have to say though that it didn't gel well with me that Champion, supposedly a master martial artist/fighter for centuries if not millennia, couldn't have taken him hand-to-hand.

I prefer Thanos' 2nd encounter which seemed to me more fitting.
    Well, to be fair, Thanos didn't actually beat Champion in combat....he held his own until he could trick Champion into destroying the planet they were on. He probably wouldn't be able to beat Champion while he had the Power Stone. Thanos really does like getting into a good brawl every now and then though... but he never loses sight of his actual objective. With Champion, all he really wanted was the Power Gem. So, he extorted it out of Champion in exchange for not leaving him floating helplessly in space for eternity.

Thanos' strength and durability are not to be trifled with however. He's tanked hits from Galactus and even managed to knock him down.

Obviously kind of catching Galactus off guard...but still impressive.

Even Galactus is impressed. He has to actually exert himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Their main focus right now is developing new characters.
    Which is exactly what they should be doing.

I don't know if this was already brought up here, but there are a couple major reasons they cannot treat the MCU movies the same as the comics. The biggest (and yeah I know this is obvious but stick with me) comic characters are not real people. You can keep writing comics about Iron Man forever with no problem as long as people are willing to keep reading them. Cannot really do the same with the movies without doing one of two things; either change who is inside the Iron Man armor or recast Tony Stark. The actor aging is probably the most obvious reason for this, but in the eyes of the studio not the biggest one. That comes down to salary. When ever you have a successful franchise, the lead actors are obviously going to want a part of that success. That usually means either a percentage of the money taken in at the box office or a bigger up front salary for the next movie. Disney simply cannot afford to just keep casting the same actors and paying them more and more money. Example. Robert Downey Jr.'s salary for the first Iron Man is said to be somewhere around $500k. You know what it was for Endgame? $75mil. That is just not sustainable.

So. We are going to get one of three options. Iron Man is retired from the MCU for good outside of maybe a cameo or bringing Tony back down the line someplace. Or, they recast Tony with a different, less expensive actor. Or, they retire Tony for good but have a new character pick up the mantle of Iron Man. That last one is the most likely since Iron Man is too well known a brand now to shelf for good.

And this goes for all of the original MCU Avengers. Going back to the original point of this thread, they could just bring back Mark Ruffalo to play Banner again or they could take this opportunity to change things up a bit and bring in someone new to play Amadeus Cho? Give the Hulk a new outlook and save some cash as well.

Beyond not wanting to give up distribution profits, where the distribution costs are being spent is vitally important. The where in this case is about 80% TV, broadcast and cable.

So lets say we've a Hulk film. Expect it to do Ant-Man 1 Box Office. Around $500 million. Our Production budget is $150 million and the Distribution budget is $90 million. If 80% of the latter goes to TV and Universal controls what networks are advertised you can bet most of the ads will appear on NBC/Universal networks. That is a lot of why Hell will freeze over before we get a Hulk film.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Disney simply cannot afford to just keep casting the same actors and paying them more and more money. Example. Robert Downey Jr.'s salary for the first Iron Man is said to be somewhere around $500k. You know what it was for Endgame? $75mil. That is just not sustainable.
    I see the point, but I disagree on sustainability.
    Productions find it hard to change a popular actor in a role s/he defined without screwing over the production itself.
    Frankly I think Disney has a future PR problem. The box office take for future movies will likely take a hit. And that will be perceived as negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    The reason he got the first MCU movie was because they sold the film rights to their A-listers. Nobody was knocking down the door to make an Iron Man film. You think they would have started the MCU with Iron Man if they had access to Spider-Man, the X-men, or even the Fantastic Four?

- - - Updated - - -

The issue with Hulk is not a lack of ideas...the issue is that Universal still owns the distribution rights to any future Hulk movies. If the MCU wants to make a Hulk-centric movie...Universal gets firsts chance of refusal for distribution. It makes making a solo Hulk movie financially impractical. However, Marvel has the film rights to Hulk...so they can use him in any non-Hulk movie free and clear.
    So, he basically has to play second string or be part of a team? Then, take one of the great stories from the over 500 issues of Hulk comics and make him the most well developed second string in film history.

I'm not even really the biggest Hulk fan (more of an X-Men fan), I do like him though. It just seems ridiculous that they have to ask for pitches for the Hulk when there are so many Hulk stories already out there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I'm not even really the biggest Hulk fan (more of an X-Men fan), I do like him though. It just seems ridiculous that they have to ask for pitches for the Hulk when there are so many Hulk stories already out there.....
    That's a Disney problem.
    Or should I say the problem is trying to Disney-fy a violent rage monster that has little compunction with killing.
    The solution is to make his movies R-rated.

10+ Year Old Account
    BTW. One of the things that came out of this meeting between Feige and Ruffalo is to do a Hulk vs. Wolverine movie...

I see the point, but I disagree on sustainability.
    Productions find it hard to change a popular actor in a role s/he defined without screwing over the production itself.
    Frankly I think Disney has a future PR problem. The box office take for future movies will likely take a hit. And that will be perceived as negative.
    That's why they need to work on new characters. Recasting Steve Rogers would see heavy backlash, but having Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson take up the mantle of Captain America may not. I fully expect they will try that one first as a test and see how it goes over with the public before bringing in Ironheart or Cho.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    lolwut? Tony Stark was always a popular Character for years/decades before the movie adaptations.
    No he wasn't. His comics before the movie were selling like shit, for the casual he was "That man in the metallic suit that appeared in the 90s Spider-man Cartoon a few times."

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Thor: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...ay-female-thor
    Captain America will be replaced by Falcon, using the name Captain America.
    Ironheart, which is the same exact thing as iron man only black, female, smarter, and younger.
    I wouldn't doubt if they bring in Cho as The Hulk as well since they're doing the rest of the dumpster fire.
    You must have missed that Thor is also in the next Thor movie. Jane Foster isn't "replacing" him. It seems she's getting Mjolnir...but Thor's got a better weapon now anyway.

Captain America retired at the end of Endgame. That was already known before Endgame was released. Unlike in Comic Books...actors age. Chris Evans was going to give up the mantle sooner or later. The only question would be who gets the Shield...Sam or Bucky. Bucky still isn't 100% so Sam is the wiser choice. And it's still not certain if Sam will even take the name Captain America. Their Disney+ series is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier...not Captain America and the Winter Soldier.

I haven't seen anything regarding Ironheart joining the MCU. Last I saw, Kevin Feige said there were currently no plans to bring her in.

Cho hasn't been mentioned at all.

And none of this would be pushing out older characters anyway. Chris Evans and RDJ both retired from their roles. There currently is no Captain America or Iron Man.

So, still waiting on you to prove me wrong on anything. Mighty Casey strikes out again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    So, he basically has to play second string or be part of a team? Then, take one of the great stories from the over 500 issues of Hulk comics and make him the most well developed second string in film history.

Kinda ridiculous to take a Hulk storyline and throw the Hulk in as a secondary character. Makes more sense to put Hulk in another character's movie where he would be a Value add...like they did with Ragnarok. The took elements from the Planet Hulk storyline and weaved them into a movie about Thor.

Evans also always knew he was gonna dip out after his contract was up because he wanted to get into producing and other acting roles that weren't captain America. I don't think it has much to do with where the character was going to go or anything … I just think he was tired of it which who can blame him, having all those spot lights on you has got to be overbearing.
    What is tank?

"The basic idea of a tank is well understood. It works like an argument with my mother. The mobs keeps beating on you, and the more you throw it's own shit back at it, the more it focuses on you and hates you. Perplexing enough, this is actually not only your goal, but the mob eventually gives you loot and money when it dies instead of writing you out of its will." (Senotay)

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." -- William Shakespeare

BTW. One of the things that came out of this meeting between Feige and Ruffalo is to do a Hulk vs. Wolverine movie...
    That has me curious.
    That's why they need to work on new characters. Recasting Steve Rogers would see heavy backlash, but having Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson take up the mantle of Captain America may not.
    From a my comic book perspective I agree.
    But I don't think it's much debatable that Disney is focused much on the comic books. I'd say that they've tossed them out pretty much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    No he wasn't. His comics before the movie were selling like shit, for the casual he was "That man in the metallic suit that appeared in the 90s Spider-man Cartoon a few times."
    If you're focused on the 90s, then Marvel wasn't selling well at all by then.
    Bob Layton's run beginning the late 70s with Stark's alcoholism (Demon in a bottle) is a classic.

That's a Disney problem.
    Or should I say the problem is trying to Disney-fy a violent rage monster that has little compunction with killing.
    The solution is to make his movies R-rated.
    They did a pretty good job portraying his rage in Avengers and Age of Ultron. He's violent but not graphic or bloody. I agree with @Alydael that there is enough source material for Hulk stories for Kevin Feige and Disney to draw from, and use it for Hulk in a supporting capacity. Look what they did in Thor: Ragnarok; Planet Hulk. Just because you're a supporting character, doesn't mean you can't have a compelling sub-plot and still have an important role. Hulk was great in Ragnarok. That's why the Academy awards Oscars to actors for playing a character in a supporting role.

"I don't believe you, so you're wrong"

Same back at you.
    I don't believe you because you haven't provided a shred of evidence. Back up your claims that they are following the "reboot" as you call it.

There's been no announcement that Ironheart will be joining the MCU. Prove me wrong.
    There's been no announcement that Sam Wilson is going to be Captain America. Prove me wrong.
    There's been no announcement that Jane Foster will take over the role of Thor. Prove me wrong.
    There's been no announcement that Cho will even be in the MCu, much less take over the role of Hulk. Prove me wrong.

Hulk was a comedy routine in Ragnarok.
    And that's the problem.

I posted the link showing who's going to be cast as (female)Thor, and listed the comics that they're pulling from. I don't give a rip if you believe me or not. Time is on my side, and time will prove me right.
    Yeah, I read your article...did you?

It’s unclear if this means Chris Hemsworth’s Thor will lose his power or if there will be two Thors operating simultaneously.
    Yes, Jane Foster will wield Mjolnir. Nothing else is certain. We already know that in the MCU Thor does not need Mjolnir to have his powers, nor does he lose his powers if someone else is wielding Mjolnir.

Even in the comics Thor was still around...he was just no longer worthy of carrying Mjolnir. And, just like when Eric Masterson replaced him,
    eventually he gets the hammer back.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2019-11-28 at 02:59 AM.

Hulk was a comedy routine in Ragnarok.
    And that's the problem.
    Really?

I mean, did he provide some comic relief? Yes, but what Marvel character doesn't? He had a highly contested fight with Thor. He was the second most prominently featured character in the movie. And he beat Fenrir. Hardly a joke or comedy routine. If he hadn't beaten Fenrir, Thor's people would have been eaten alive.

Point of order: Tom Holland is the only actor to have played Peter Parker in the MCU and Ruffalo is the second actor to play Bruce Banner. The Toby Maguire/Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man and Eric Bana's Hulk movies are not MCU. Disney can and has recast actors when necessary... but generally speaking its frowned upon to do so. It's easier to maintain continuity when you don't have to introduce a new face playing an existing role.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe not. It's not like they've stopped making movies starring white males. Christ, you people are so sensitive....the second they release a movie where a White Male isn't the main star...it becomes "oh they're only interesting in making PC movies now". Grow up.
    Unfortunately... some people won't.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thor: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...ay-female-thor
    Captain America will be replaced by Falcon, using the name Captain America.
    Ironheart, which is the same exact thing as iron man only black, female, smarter, and younger.
    I wouldn't doubt if they bring in Cho as The Hulk as well since they're doing the rest of the dumpster fire.
    You are aware that not even one of those characters is a reboot right?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I wish Marvel would just take single issue comics and turn them into a Movie.

Like Wolverine #8 with Gray Hulk. Would be a fun movie and have nothing to do with infinity gems. Just a fun Hulk and Wolverine movie. . . .

THOUGht this said gay hulk.. now that would prob put butt in seats..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I read your article...did you?

Yes, Jane Foster will wield Mjolnir. Nothing else is certain. We already know that in the MCU Thor does not need Mjolnir to have his powers, nor does he lose his powers if someone else is wielding Mjolnir.

Even in the comics Thor was still around...he was just no longer worthy of carrying Mjolnir. And, just like when Eric Masterson replaced him,
    eventually he gets the hammer back.
    This reminds me of that story from not too long about about the new James Bond movie. The one where headlines were something along the lines of "007 to be recast as a black woman!" and people lost their minds until they read the actual story to find what was really happening is the new Bond movie will be about Bond being forced to retire from MI-6 only to be called back in and find his old agent number of "007" has been given to a new agent who just happens to be a black female.

The actual Thor story is that they are going to use the comic storyline where Thor Odinson became unworthy of wielding Mjolnir but Jane Foster is judged worthy so she picks it up and becomes the Thor for awhile while old Thor goes around under just the name Odinson with a different magic weapon until eventually he gets Mjolnir back and becomes Thor again while Jane becomes Valkyrie. But of course the headlines are "Natalie Portman to play Thor in next movie!"

Except for the fact that they're now using the reboot, not covering a mantel briefly. Anything else I can prove you wrong about?
    I mean, this is exactly what you said ^ when there is zero evidence the movie will be any different than the comics where it was absolutely temporary.