Poll: Do you like the "expansion theme" of Shadowlands?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Yes, much better than BFA. The shadowlands with their different factions seem a lot more interesting than island-hopping down in Zandalar/Kultiras. Much more interesting than Pandaland too, and even so, that expansion turned out great. Also, I'm glad we're probably not going for a Garrosh 3.0 story this time around.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure about that? I think we'll revisit a lot of the well-known characters that have passed, I just hope it won't be too much of it.
    What nonsense are you spouting?

The playerbase has been clambering for Kul Tiras and Zandalar since Vanilla. The very fact that we were going back to Kul Tiras and Zandalar made people who quit come back. Now, they may not have stayed long because the systems in BFA are garbage, but they gave the expansion a chance. What story, character or location in Shadowlands is going to make players resub? The Jailor or the Arbiter or lands we've never heard of that are lore retcons and reimaginations? I don't think so. The very reason WoW was successful in the firstplace, or at least a large reason, was that WC1, 2 and 3 set the stage, locations, characters and lore that made us familiar with the world. Nothing is going to feel familiar about Shadowlands. It's a huge gamble when the easy answer that would have excited almost everyone would have been the Black Empire reemerging.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan so far.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    I like that it has a focused theme. One of the problems with BfAs narrative is that it was all over the place. It tried juggling the faction war, azeroth dying, old gods and then setting up for the death theme, all at once. This is ignoring the smaller plot lines that we see every expansion and everything that game with those 4 stories, ofcourse. If we can just have 1 major storyline throughout the expansion, maybe it'll actually feel enjoyable to play through.
    I'm not sure you can say it has "a focused theme" when BlizzCon revealed almost nothing about the Shadowlands other than Covenants, and almost none of it was well detailed. The Devs don't even know yet. At first glance when we saw BFA for the first time at BlizzCon 2017, you could have said the same about it being a "faction-war" themed and focused expansion. It didn't turn out that way, however.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Well, I am curious for the shadowlands, but I have not seen enough to make up my mind. The covenants especially give me a hard time. I am roleplaying a bloodelf as my main and None of the covenant sounds fitting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    Well, I am curious for the shadowlands, but I have not seen enough to make up my mind. The covenants especially give me a hard time. I am roleplaying a bloodelf as my main and None of the covenant sounds fitting for him.
    At least the vampires have Kael'thas, you could go there It's even more awkward for a troll. We had our own death themed loa this expansion, but it turns out his domain is merely a dungeon hell knows where...

What i fear is that the expansion will end up feeling samey over time.

We have 2 zones that are both traditional depictions of hell, and Maldraxxus is arguably also just hell again.
    Bastion is just heaven. Those that go there become angels and all that fun stuff.
    Ardenweald is the only one that seems like it will offer something different with Wild gods, Tyrande storyline and Drust.

All the zones seem except the Maw seems like htey have the exact same problem that needs fixing as well.
    We used to perform X with the dead souls, but because of a lack of Anima we can no longer do that, find us an alternative/more anima.

This will be fine and all until we are getting to the 2nd raid, at which point we might start to feel some serious fatigue on the whole death theme.
    Legion had players become tired of the Legion and with some few exceptions none of the zones actually directly dealt with the Legion.
    Azsuna started with it but ended up aabout Naga, Val'sharah ended up about the Nightmare, Highmountain about Drogbar, and Stormheim with Vrykul.
    Each of those zones had ties to the burning legion, but none actually used them as the direct enemy that needed to be defeated at the end.

There will also be a definite problem of escalation.
    Maw is supposed to be the center of the problem, which is kinda like Legion replacing Suramar with Argus. It would be cool and all, but there isnt really anywhere for the story to go after except the usual X.2 sidestory.

Hopefully once the Alpha comes out we might start seeing what the zones are going to be about, because as of now they certainly seem like they are all going to be the same except with a different skin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    At least the vampires have Kael'thas, you could go there It's even more awkward for a troll. We had our own death themed loa this expansion, but it turns out his domain is merely a dungeon hell knows where...
    I think The Other Side dungeon is going ot be in Ardenweald, at least htat is what i heard somewhere.
    Would make sense given the Loa/Wild God connection to that zone.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Meeting deceased big names is what the theme is for me and I really like that. I think they also said they wanted it to feel like it is a warcraft thing by having ziggurats in one of the new zones for example. While I prefer new azeroth stuff and islands to explore, this isn't that bad.

3+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of into the whole gothic death aesthetic (not too dark, not too gory or 'mature') soo this expansion will be right up my alley
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Very much so, yes.

The writing is on the wall for Shadowlands.

We'll visit 4 zones and help repair whatever damage is caused in that zone from them losing access to souls(Anima), weakening the Maw/Jailor/Sylvanas in the process.

Ultimately we'll go to the Maw to fight Jailor/Sylvanas with the help of our chosen covenant and/or the relevant "past hero(s)" we met in those zones/covenants.

In the end we most likely repair the veil of life and death, reforge some version of the LK crown and either Bolvar takes it back and learns to do his job this time or we trap card Sylvanas into doing it (illidan 2.0 please god no!) or some "past hero" becomes the new LK type person to manage the veil of life and death.

We return to Azeroth, like nothing ever happened and move on to the next expansion oblivious to the fact we just went to heaven/hell for 2yrs, fixed everything and now carry on with our lives.

Yes I like the theme.

boring and stupid, i will pass this expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Keihndeth View Post
    I'm not sure you can say it has "a focused theme" when BlizzCon revealed almost nothing about the Shadowlands other than Covenants, and almost none of it was well detailed. The Devs don't even know yet. At first glance when we saw BFA for the first time at BlizzCon 2017, you could have said the same about it being a "faction-war" themed and focused expansion. It didn't turn out that way, however.
    Dude they’re very far into working on the xpac, they know what the focused theme is lol

Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    what do you mean, you are BLOOD elf, the one with vampires duh

10+ Year Old Account
    All those afterlife planes sound great in theory but Blizzard has shown they can ruin anything.
    In reality you will find yourself log in just for the same protect the shadow turtles world quest ad nauseam.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually quite look forward to it. The only theme I've not really liked is BFA's mostly because it felt pointlessly stupid after saving the World alongside eachother all of Legion.

They flat out said that the fact it was so disconnected from the rest of the mythos was a big selling point to them as developers.

Yes I do like it, I'm open to them trying to change the formula if they can. The game is 15 years old. I desperately hoped Kul Tiras and Zandalar would have done it but it was the same old shit with a horrendous gearing system, a garbage story, and uninteresting villains in Sylvanas, Azshara, and N'zoth.

Gimme the really weird, out there, shit. For as much of a mess, conceptually, Burning Crusade was, the fact that we went to space gave us a ton of super cool new weird shit. Space goats, energy people wrapped in bandages, alien wind chimes of goodness, space ships, ect. I'm so goddamn tired of seeing the new versions of horses and dinosaurs and boars they trot out every expansion because they can't think of anything new.
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2019-11-27 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keihndeth View Post
    What nonsense are you spouting?

The playerbase has been clambering for Kul Tiras and Zandalar since Vanilla. The very fact that we were going back to Kul Tiras and Zandalar made people who quit come back. Now, they may not have stayed long because the systems in BFA are garbage, but they gave the expansion a chance. What story, character or location in Shadowlands is going to make players resub? The Jailor or the Arbiter or lands we've never heard of that are lore retcons and reimaginations? I don't think so. The very reason WoW was successful in the firstplace, or at least a large reason, was that WC1, 2 and 3 set the stage, locations, characters and lore that made us familiar with the world. Nothing is going to feel familiar about Shadowlands. It's a huge gamble when the easy answer that would have excited almost everyone would have been the Black Empire reemerging.
    I was not answering to what people want the first part of my post, just my own opinion about what I want to experience in Warcraft. I've played all the warcraft games, and nothing about naval warfare, pirates, sandy beaches and jurassic park jungles stuck with me. Kul tiras for me were just another bunch of humans. Except for the Naga, a race I don't really have any interest in either, the continents had nothing familiar that drew me in either. It might just have been Pandaland all over again.

Anyway, Shadowlands might give us some answers to the mysteries of the warcraft afterlife, which I think is very inconsistent, with ghosts, banshees, spirits, resurrections, undeath, some mindless, some with their cognitive faculties intact, some with memory, others with none, some restless and trapped, some appearing at will. In the history of Warcraft there has been a lot of death, and I think we'll encounter some fallen heroes and villains, which could be interesting. Story aside, I think the setting is appealing.
    Mother pus bucket!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    They flat out said that the fact it was so disconnected from the rest of the mythos was a big selling point to them as developers.

Yes I do like it, I'm open to them trying to change the formula if they can. The game is 15 years old. I desperately hoped Kul Tiras and Zandalar would have done it but it was the same old shit with a horrendous gearing system, a garbage story, and uninteresting villains in Sylvanas, Azshara, and N'zoth.

Gimme the really weird, out there, shit. For as much of a mess, conceptually, Burning Crusade was, the fact that we went to space gave us a ton of super cool new weird shit. Space goats, energy people wrapped in bandages, alien wind chimes of goodness, space ships, ect. I'm so goddamn tired of seeing the new versions of horses and dinosaurs and boars they trot out every expansion because they can't think of anything new.
    The difference is that in tbc you could play a draenei and feel connected to the world.

In legion you could play a demon Hunter and get connected to the theme

In mop the Pandas and monks and so on

In Shadowlands? No idea really. My elves will be running around in those weird transmogs and yeah... That's it

But ofc I'm gonna play it and I hope there actual feeling will be good
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    Personally I think that the theme of Shadowlands is disconnected from the rest of Warcraft universe.
    I think even Argus and the Draenei made a better job to fit into the universe.

It feels like a theme transplantation. Especially visually from looking at those covenant transmog sets.

BFA story is not really loved for sure but at least the theme fitted very well into the existing universe.
    The break from the same old same old, is actualy why I like it.

Going to a different realm all together is a good opportunity to do things thematically different, something that I find refreshing.