Poll: Do you like the "expansion theme" of Shadowlands?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Not really, it feels like they sort of retconned so much to make it work. Everything about Sylvannas is a retcon.

Not to mention expansion adds literally nothing new of any real worth.

It's decent. Different than EK and Kalimdor, which I am getting pretty tired of.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    WoW needed a 1,000 year time skip not a stupid assed "hurr durr lets go to de shadowlundz"

Simplify the story. Fighting colossal baddies is old and tired.

Classic is enjoying great success with simple storylines and simple bosses.

A complete wipe of old characters and an infusion of new ones with COHERENT and LOGICAL storylines would've saved WoW
    For the majority of people playing the story isn't high on the reason why they play so why would the devs put that much effort into it lol :P

I DO NOT like it. The idea of dying to go possibly die again is dumb. So you die in the normal game to get rezzed by spirit healers. But important lore characters and all npc's just die a normal death. Why aren't they also rezzed by spirit healers then? The whole thing makes no sense to me. I also hate the idea of being forced to die. Then to end it, you "undie" i'm assuming to get back to Azeroth...who knows. They could've come up with something much better in my opinion. It's almost like they might as well just kill the game while they're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by dbaum23 View Post
    I DO NOT like it. The idea of dying to go possibly die again is dumb. So you die in the normal game to get rezzed by spirit healers. But important lore characters and all npc's just die a normal death. Why aren't they also rezzed by spirit healers then? The whole thing makes no sense to me. I also hate the idea of being forced to die. Then to end it, you "undie" i'm assuming to get back to Azeroth...who knows. They could've come up with something much better in my opinion. It's almost like they might as well just kill the game while they're at it.
    In lore you never die outside specific instances like the Argus fight.
    Complaining about that is one the same level as complaining that the story is ruined because your character can carry 50 sets of armor on their person without it showing anywhere, or that you do not instakill enemies when you hit them with an arrow.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Shadowlands may be World of Warcrafts "jumping the shark" moment. It could put a nail in the coffin of the game.
    So could have BfA.

Nope. Ambiguity and uncertainty is what makes the afterlife special. It’s the one place I wouldn’t want to know about if I were still living, now we get the 411 on Warcraft death. Also now we get to go into that realm, to kill more things, loot, vendor, repair, fly around and enjoy the scenery with the afterlife animals. I understand blizzard is running out of ideas and for gameplay purposes things will remain the same; but idk all in all I prob end up playing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QOXR2q8regE

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like it. It was way too obvious. I'm also curious as to how we are going to escalate from this. While I am super interested in WoW's bigger multiverse and cosmology, I think that is best left to side-stories and expanded universe stuff. BC was my favorite expansion because it gave us a taste of some of this stuff. Tempest Keep, Murmur, the Ethereals, Karazhan, it all seemed so otherworldly and dangerous, stuff that our characters could barely comprehend. Other worlds should be just that, other worlds. Walking around the afterlife talking with these beings like regular npcs just ruins the majesty of it a little bit. I DO like it when fantasy universes explain their mechanics. I like hard magic systems. But from a role-playing perspective, this is just the wrong way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp1on2 View Post
    For the majority of people playing the story isn't high on the reason why they play so why would the devs put that much effort into it lol :P
    IDK man, the biggest reason BFA tanked was because of shitty writing. Nothing made sense in BFA.

We have a Jaina sob story then we zerg and kill Zandalari, go out in the sea for some reason only to end up in nazjatar to fight Azshara and then end up in shadowlands... weird sequence of events.

A great storyline makes for a fantastic gaming experience

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Yes, much better than BFA. The shadowlands with their different factions seem a lot more interesting than island-hopping down in Zandalar/Kultiras. Much more interesting than Pandaland too, and even so, that expansion turned out great. Also, I'm glad we're probably not going for a Garrosh 3.0 story this time around.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure about that? I think we'll revisit a lot of the well-known characters that have passed, I just hope it won't be too much of it.
    I wonder if we'll see some minor characters. Like Mankriks wife?! The other day I was questing in Southern Barrens, and the Camp Taurajo flight master that's dead, when you do is funeral eulogy thing and he gets on his wyvern and flies away, I wonder if we'll see him? Very minor characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    In lore you never die outside specific instances like the Argus fight.
    Complaining about that is one the same level as complaining that the story is ruined because your character can carry 50 sets of armor on their person without it showing anywhere, or that you do not instakill enemies when you hit them with an arrow.
    The whole story doesn't make sense to me. So we all die, and are trying to get out of the shadowlands to return to Azeroth i'm going to assume. But why? Why not just stay dead? Why leave "heaven" if thats where we go to come back. I don't see how they're going to make sense of it. But we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Well... they did leave a lot for Azshara future, and they did left some hints that N'zoth will be back later (having in mind the conversations of those that follow N'zoth after his defeat).
    Oh yeah, I mean- I can't conclusively say what happens, just that it looks a little bleak for now, and I don't have much hope.

I presume we'll get our first hint of Azshara's future in 8.3. One of the raid bosses has her trapped if I'm not wrong? We'll have to see what happens to her afterwards, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    IDK man, the biggest reason BFA tanked was because of shitty writing. Nothing made sense in BFA.

We have a Jaina sob story then we zerg and kill Zandalari, go out in the sea for some reason only to end up in nazjatar to fight Azshara and then end up in shadowlands... weird sequence of events.

A great storyline makes for a fantastic gaming experience
    You think people's main problem with BfA is the writing?

Quote Originally Posted by dbaum23 View Post
    The whole story doesn't make sense to me. So we all die, and are trying to get out of the shadowlands to return to Azeroth i'm going to assume. But why? Why not just stay dead? Why leave "heaven" if thats where we go to come back. I don't see how they're going to make sense of it. But we'll see...
    It'd probably make more sense if you had paid any attention to what it is. Your complaints make no sense because they are completely unrelated to what's actually happening.

I like the theme. They definitely dropped the ball with a lot of what the shadowlands could've been, but whatever. Not to mention the story is worse than dogshit.

But the whole realm of death, that's pretty good. Really not looking forward to the The Last Jedi-esque "subverting expectations" style of writing we've been seeing in BFA though.

- - - Updated - - -

You think people's main problem with BfA is the writing?
    It's definitely one of my main problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    It's definitely one of my main problems.
    Okay, but I doubt that is representative given the majority of players complaints revolve around:

• RNG
    • Endless Grind
    • Azerite Armour
    • Warfronts
    • Island Expeditions
    • Feeling less powerful vs Legion
    • Titanforging
    • Not being alt-friendly

Of all the things people complain about re BfA that affects the success of the game, story is extremely low on the list.

Okay, but I doubt that is representative given the majority of players complaints revolve around:

• RNG
    • Endless Grind
    • Azerite Armour
    • Warfronts
    • Island Expeditions
    • Feeling less powerful vs Legion
    • Titanforging
    • Not being alt-friendly

Of all the things people complain about re BfA that affects the success of the game, story is extremely low on the list.
    I'd say experiencing the story are what the casual players probably mostly care about. Although they only view the story in a superficial and surface level lens that the marketing team wants them to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems okay so far...but theme never bothered me as much as content and changes.

It's a better theme than the last four expansions, so yes.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I'd say experiencing the story are what the casual players probably mostly care about. Although they only view the story in a superficial and surface level lens that the marketing team wants them to see.
    What are you basing this on? The majority of players know next to nothing about lore and are not invested in it. Heck even majority of youtubers that are into lore say they only started paying attention to it as an after thought.

Casual players just want to log on enjoy their 2-4 hours and log off. They're not avidly following the story, probably barely even reading quest text - people even want to be able to skip the "stay and listen" quests lol.