Poll: Do you like the "expansion theme" of Shadowlands?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Do you like the "expansion theme" of Shadowlands?

Personally I think that the theme of Shadowlands is disconnected from the rest of Warcraft universe.
    I think even Argus and the Draenei made a better job to fit into the universe.

It feels like a theme transplantation. Especially visually from looking at those covenant transmog sets.

BFA story is not really loved for sure but at least the theme fitted very well into the existing universe.
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's a theme essential and connected to the very essence of the Warcraft universe, while being new enough for us to explore. Compared to, let's say, the Draenei or Argus, it's introduction is way more natural.

Feels like a big secret, Pandaria'ish, is finally being avaliable, and it's not monotone either - stuff like the four covenants and their cosmetics help flesh out this expansion's thematics.

I mean, I enjoy stuff like BfA's story and how it's based on the roots of Warcraft, but Shadowlands - dealing with Death - is a central theme in a world so full of war and misery.

I personally don’t like the theme of Shadowlands. An afterlife theme feels like something nonexistent or non physical to me. It does sound nonsense, as we are talking about a fantasy world, but it still is unacceptable for me. Talk about Firelands or Deepholm, as both of then are on another plain. but it’s the physical plain at least, whilst Shadowlands does feel like something ethereal. Or does it? I don’t know.
    I would prefer a journey to another world. Draenor was intriguing, Argus even more.

5+ Year Old Account
    I most certainly do! I'm also partially biased because I'm hoping Kyrian for the Alliance and that they'll some how be Druids because of the Owl!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    I personally don’t like the theme of Shadowlands. An afterlife theme feels like something nonexistent or non physical to me. It does sound nonsense, as we are talking about a fantasy world, but it still is unacceptable for me. Talk about Firelands or Deepholm, as both of then are on another plain. but it’s the physical plain at least, whilst Shadowlands does feel like something ethereal. Or does it? I don’t know.
    I would prefer a journey to another world. Draenor was intriguing, Argus even more.
    I guarantee you that if the expansion after Legion had been 'World of Warcraft: Return to Argus" people would have thrown a collective, massive fit.

Even before we knew Argus was going to be a thing, there were tons of 'omg so tired of demons/fel/green shit/etc' posts. And I think Blizz heard those complaints, because even they said they felt like a whole nother expansion of fel and demons and such would have been too much following WoD's final content and Legion itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Emmithyst View Post
    I most certainly do! I'm also partially biased because I'm hoping Kyrian for the Alliance and that they'll some how be Druids because of the Owl!
    Don't hold your breath.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it. I love exploring the deeper, overarching lore and cant wait to see what Blizzard comes up with and how we'll interact with it.
    Negative nancies, naysayers and ne'erdowells don't @ me. :V

Also your post reminds me of the first kneejerk reactions when people during the end days of Classic saw The Burning Crusade and screenshots of Netherstorm's eco-domes. So unfitting, so "not warcraft". Pfft.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

The theme is pretty cool imo, but the premise, execution and the overall "How we'll get there" is pretty shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmithyst View Post
    It is very unlikely that any of the main 4 groups that we will see can become allied races because of how they are tied to the shadowlands. More likely that a fringe group that will be introduced in a .1 or .2 patch will have ally race potential. Also, if you looked up kyrians they basically purge their past life and slowly morph into a spirit healer or similar angelic roles so it is very unlikely that they will be our allies, return to our world, and fight for some petty dispute on a piece of rock.. (although I wouldn't be surprised if they did based on blizz writing..)

I think the concept is cool, but I just feel like this expansion is going to undermine the "fantasy" going forward. I mean travelling to the afterlife, seeing whats on the other side and understanding how it works....

How do you come back from this and just live your life as normal, watch people die and know what happens to them, defeat bosses and know where they're going and what they'll do in the afterlife etc.

Especially if they bring people back to Azeroth, it feels like a final expansion where they don't need to worry about what happens next so can just throw the whole game's mythology out the window. But this is presumably just another Xpac, where we'll move on to another location/planet after this and fight some new big bad without really acknowledging how we know have seen the other side. Almost like breaking the 4th wall or something, I dunno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post
    I think the concept is cool, but I just feel like this expansion is going to undermine the "fantasy" going forward. I mean travelling to the afterlife, seeing whats on the other side and understanding how it works....
    But now that we know, we can send villains.... TO THE NEXT DIMENSION.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I agree. I think Shadowlands will prove to be a huge mistake especially when we had the potential and set-up for a Black Empire expansion.

Shadowlands is not going to bring back players who unsubbed. Why would it? There aren't characters, places, or themes that are familiar with them to intrigue them. This is all new lore and is something that MoP struggled with in regards to player retention. That doesn't mean Shadowlands won't be good, but the players who quit have no reason to get hyped about it and that is bad for the game in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keihndeth View Post
    I agree. I think Shadowlands will prove to be a huge mistake especially when we had the potential and set-up for a Black Empire expansion.

Shadowlands is not going to bring back players who unsubbed. Why would it? There aren't characters, places, or themes that are familiar with them to intrigue them. This is all new lore and is something that MoP struggled with in regards to player retention. That doesn't mean Shadowlands won't be good, but the players who quit have no reason to get hyped about it and that is bad for the game in general.
    Shadowlands may be World of Warcrafts "jumping the shark" moment. It could put a nail in the coffin of the game.

Yes, much better than BFA. The shadowlands with their different factions seem a lot more interesting than island-hopping down in Zandalar/Kultiras. Much more interesting than Pandaland too, and even so, that expansion turned out great. Also, I'm glad we're probably not going for a Garrosh 3.0 story this time around.

- - - Updated - - -

Shadowlands is not going to bring back players who unsubbed. Why would it? There aren't characters, places, or themes that are familiar with them to intrigue them.
    Are you sure about that? I think we'll revisit a lot of the well-known characters that have passed, I just hope it won't be too much of it.
    Mother pus bucket!

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the most interesting theme we've had in a long while, IMO. And better yet, it's something that hasn't been previously explored, which means there will be a lot of completely new lore to experience. The last time we really had that was in Mists of Pandaria, which had a ton of great worldbuilding.

Because a land full of fat ass self righteous pandas fit?

What about time travel, but they forgot to actually add end game content?

What about "We'll just do the exact same fucking story as the last faction war?"

Shadowlands seems better thematically than any of those 3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Because a land full of fat ass self righteous pandas fit?

What about time travel, but they forgot to actually add end game content?

What about "We'll just do the exact same fucking story as the last faction war?"

Shadowlands seems better thematically than any of those 3.
    ^this

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

There aren't characters, places, or themes that are familiar with them to intrigue them.
    Right. Because they should just keep beating around the bush and never add anything new to the table.

Besides what were people familiar with exactly in other expansions? Except for WoD which was literally a revisit of the same zones in a past time, all of them have only a minor familiar thing to them.
    How much was already established and people were familiar with in Outland outside of Hellfire, Illidan, Kael'thas and Vashj? Or in Northrend outside of Icecrown and LK? Or Broken Isles outside of Tomb of Sargeras?
    Just because you heard a name at some point does not mean that you're familiar with anything.

I for one think it looks pretty good and it also has a lot of diversity. If it was 99% death then yeah sure, that would have cool for a while for people who like that but would have ultimately become boring.

I think breaking off and actually doing a completely new piece of thing is good instead of just bringing up old content and characters over and over and over.

I for one disliked Pandaland right because of that .. pandas everywhere

I feel that the way they approached it a bit limiting. The game so far gave me the impression that the afterlife has a lot more complex and mystical layers to it, but now we're going to fall back to four zones and one semi-zone that aren't representative of most of the cultures we've encountered on Azeroth and beyond. The fact that all those versions of the afterlife have wild animals and towns with conventional architecture is also a bit underwhelming.

That being said, I was doubtful of all the new races and racial offshoots they added in Pandaria and I groaned at all the changes they made to the Broken Isles compared to Warcraft III, yet those two were some of the best expansions we've had, so maybe we shouldn't give up hope based on a first impression.

BFA theme and atmosphere were one of the major reasons i've stopped playing. It can only get better.
    <inactive>

I like that it has a focused theme. One of the problems with BfAs narrative is that it was all over the place. It tried juggling the faction war, azeroth dying, old gods and then setting up for the death theme, all at once. This is ignoring the smaller plot lines that we see every expansion and everything that game with those 4 stories, ofcourse. If we can just have 1 major storyline throughout the expansion, maybe it'll actually feel enjoyable to play through.