Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Media backed by big names or political figureheads (Propaganda) have influence.

And now echo chambers too with social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    You mean...news being sold as reality and truth isn't the same thing as video games being sold as fictional entertainment? H-how could that be?! How could such difference possibly matter! ^^

Try explaining that to people who want to draw a false equivalence between the two based on some personal agenda.
    I hope by pointing it out, OP does some quick research into psychology, and various forms of mass media. But I'm skeptical.

10+ Year Old Account
    If media didn't have an effect billions of dollars in advertising wouldn't be spent on it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Media didn't seem to have the effect on trump winning. You'd think when they all made fun on him for months and showed win polls of 95% for Hilary or whatever, that it would make a difference in their favour, guess it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    then its settled, they make you violent too.
    Can you explain your rationale for this conclusion?

It used to.

Then the internet happened where people could make up bullshit and create cults and millions of lonely men and women flocked to it that probably shouldn’t have.

You walk down the street and you see some crazy guy yelling something.
    You chat with your holocaust denying uncle who can’t be quiet.
    The KKK is alive and well.
    Schizophrenia Is rampant.

All of these people can now jump onto google, type in a few words, and basically join a cult, one that says everything you want to hear.

Why the hell would anyone go back to msnbc?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I had a dicussion with a friend about ancient bigoted work and stories. My friend clear view was that in essence celebrating them and letting them live on simply reinforce the continuation of things. However i dont believe so, we stopped the debate when i brought the point that this friend and most people including myself, dont believe video game makes you violent? So if Media cannot make you violent, why would to make you anything else?

I read a lot for fun, im not gona claim im an expert on the issue. But as far as i could learn, an adult mind is very hard to change. Most of the time so hard even truth shown in front of a person is not enough to overwrite the part of your brain that rationalise everything you do and think. Only massive shock is enough to change someone opinion. Influence is like hypnosis, it only works on someone willing. So no matter how aweful a work, it wouldnt turn someone that believes the opposite of it, to suddenly believe it. Only when you are open to such value can you be influenced. Nobody is immune to propagenda, however you are all immune to propagenda that goes into direct conflict with your beliefs as an adult.

So what is the real effect of media then? As far as i can tell all it does is reinforce what your mind already agreed to. Russia bot didnt make people that wouldnt vote for Trump vote for Trump. It made people that would have voted for Trump feel more justified to mobilise and take the time to vote. Playing GTA 5 didnt make you a mass shooter, you were simply a mass shooter playing the game. Reading meinkauf doesent make you racist, you are a racist person reading meinkauf. The media is justifications for what you already agree to. People are trying to use it as a crutch to remove accountability for various things.

If media can really change someone mind on a single thing, then it can change your mind on ANYTHING. You cant go around and pick and decide which one can or cannot.

If someone can tell me im wrong with clear examples, id actually like to be able to read a serious piece about it?
    Serious question, not wanting to bait, or be toxic, or whatever, but.... how young are you that this is a serious question?