Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    <chortle> Just like Pinyin!
    To be fair, tone is mind blowing if you don't take a little time and train yourself for it. I'd think most English speakers would blow it off.

Before I decided (very recently) to go ahead and learn Mandarin, I remember asking the name of one of my favorite waiters at a hot pot place in my hometown that caters to the decently sized Chinese population that the University recruits. I think I had him repeat it a few times for me because I didn't want to mess up the tones.

I'm curious if Chinese students in English speaking environments get bothered enough about the tones/j,q,x,zh,ch,sh,r getting messed up enough to want to switch to English names, or if it's just sort of ingrained into their foreign language learning culture that it's "proper" to adopt a name native to the language. All of the people from China that I talked to regularly from undergrad just kept their usual names with order reversed to Given-Family, but I had a graduate TA I worked an intro lab with that went by Jack for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk
    I'm curious if Chinese students in English speaking environments get bothered enough about the tones/j,q,x,zh,ch,sh,r getting messed up enough to want to switch to English names, or if it's just sort of ingrained into their foreign language learning culture that it's "proper" to adopt a name native to the language. All of the people from China that I talked to regularly from undergrad just kept their usual names with order reversed to Given-Family, but I had a graduate TA I worked an intro lab with that went by Jack for whatever reason.
    It may depend on which province they are from. Shanghai schools used to push "English names" and they're still common in Beijing. On the other hand, Cupcake is from Shandong, has very good English, and didn't have one. Part of the problem for foreign teachers in China is having such a limited number of common family names (there are in theory 100, but even some of those are much more common than others) leads to trying to sort out grades and attendance with three different students in the same period named Wang LiLi.

I think the Chinese are fairly used to mangled pronunciation. Although the percentage has risen, despite Putonghua being the official language, there are still a lot of Chinese who don't speak it or barely speak it and usually don't. Of those that do, there are regions where people have trouble with sounds, such as Jiangsu mixing up L and N or the Southern problem with SH that means they make 4 and 10 sound the same. That's part of why the Chinese drill tongue twisters: https://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/twisters.php
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

Quote Originally Posted by Sulli Su View Post
    Is this something you do?
    Ughh.. No? I go by either this alias or by my own name.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    No, my name's Robin, it's easy enough to understand in all languages. Most people have heard of Batman and Robin anyways

Can be a female name in some parts of the world I think (USA maybe?) but that doesn't change anything.
    Frontside Ollie?!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Frontside Ollie?!
    Oh hell no...

I use the Anglo version of my name. Because it seems easier for the rabble to pronounce.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

Four syllables are apparently too many for quite a lot of people to bother with. I still insist on my proper name though.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

It turns out it's difficult from people from different nationalities to understand "David" when pronounced differently to what they're used to. So yes, I change the way it's pronounced depending on the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Four syllables are apparently too many for quite a lot of people to bother with. I still insist on my proper name though.
    To be fair, some of our names have to be intimidating for non-Greeks.

Especially some surnames.

Tsochatzopoulos is a favorite to give to people and watch them struggle with. Is it a Greek politician? Is it a Mesoamerican corn god? You decide. But I've seen Americans struggle with even basic Greek words, like tzatziki.

I simplified my name to John for English-speakers, better than trying to explain Ιωάννης/Ioannis to them. An ex-gf just called me Ion.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

Yes, most can't pronounce my name.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Just did a little while ago on this forum about the same topic.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Demon
    my last name gives some people trouble though
    Well, yes. Most people probably pronounce it as diːmən

At least you aren't in the Army. Poor MAJ Payne though ...
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I use the Anglo version of my name. Because it seems easier for the rabble to pronounce.
    For me when I go to Greece to visit my family I actually go by my middle name. My first name is English as fuck but my middle name is as Greek as Ouzo, feta and was the name of my paternal grandparent.

Stood in the Fire
    No, I use my given name. If people have trouble pronouncing it, it's their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmithyst View Post
    Nope, my name is Morena at all times.
    Brasilian name?

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Brasilian name?
    Spanish! Though I think it's the same in a lot of "Latin" languages. If I may call it that.

Spanish! Though I think it's the same in a lot of "Latin" languages. If I may call it that.
    I only know of one Morena, that actress

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    I only know of one Morena, that actress
    Yep, she's very pretty. Plays Deadpool's girlfriend iirc.
    Morena Baccarin.

Yep, she's very pretty. Plays Deadpool's girlfriend iirc.
    Morena Baccarin.
    Yeah but I remember her from Stargate one

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    It turns out it's difficult from people from different nationalities to understand "David" when pronounced differently to what they're used to. So yes, I change the way it's pronounced depending on the person.
    Try my name then, khwanruedee. I've never had any foreigners pronounce it right.