Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Try my name then, khwanruedee. I've never had any foreigners pronounce it right.
    Happy my name is fairly simple compared to names from Thailand for foreigners to pronounce. Jina shouldn't be too hard for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    This is mostly an asian thing.

When you have a complicated asian name it is often advised to give yourself a more "european" / "american" name when you go to the USA/Europa.
    like: "Cindy","Harry" etc.
    Heaps of other countries have names English speakers find difficult to pronounce, and a lot of Chinese names are actually pretty easy.

I've often wondered why it's only common among Chinese people (and maybe some South-East Asian countries?). I'm guessing it's a cultural thing. Names are weirdly sacrosanct in Western culture, it's anathema for most Westerners to think of changing their name when they move. I don't think it's like that in China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Heaps of other countries have names English speakers find difficult to pronounce, and a lot of Chinese names are actually pretty easy.

I've often wondered why it's only common among Chinese people (and maybe some South-East Asian countries?). I'm guessing it's a cultural thing. Names are weirdly sacrosanct in Western culture, it's anathema for most Westerners to think of changing their name when they move. I don't think it's like that in China.
    It's common here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    It's common here too.
    You mean people moving to South Korea change their name? Or moving out? I haven't really noticed a lot of Koreans in Australia using English names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

No need to, as it's the same in English, apart from a minor difference in spelling. I do however mostly shorten to Chris when talking to non-Swedes because the name is stressed differently in English and that just sounds wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    Christian or Christopher?
    Second. ff instead of ph though.