Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    23,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulli Su View Post
    Do you just say you don't feel like drinking? What is your approach to it without offending someone?
    No thank you

    Why should it be hard?

  2. #22
    I am Murloc! shadowmouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dongbei, PRC ... for now
    Posts
    5,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi
    Sometimes you just have to put on your drinking pants.
    If the belt isn't tight, they keep sliding down over my eyes and make it harder to snack. My drink is right there, but you bastards keep moving the snacks saying they're hard for you to reach. How can I reach the snacks when my pants have fallen down over my eyes and you've moved them over by you! Finish your drink, you're behind.

    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-12-02 at 04:55 PM.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

    Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulli Su View Post
    Do you just say you don't feel like drinking? What is your approach to it without offending someone?
    Just don't drink, or take a drink and hold it the whole night if you think not drinking makes you feel weird.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    If the belt isn't tight, they keep sliding down over my eyes and make it harder to snack. My drink is right there, but you bastards keep moving the snacks saying they're hard for you to reach. How can I reach the snacks when my pants have fallen down over my eyes and you've moved them over by you! Finish your drink, you're behind.

    Tie them around your neck like a cape.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

  5. #25
    Pandaren Monk Cidzor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,973
    Politely say "no" to the invitation? Seems fairly simple to me.

    If I don't feel like drinking, I don't feel like drinking. I like to drink, but there's a time and a place for it, and I may not always be in the mood for it at a given time. Anyone who gets offended by that can piss off.
    Last edited by Cidzor; 2019-12-02 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    never dick crazy.
    unless they have tentacles and more then 2 eyes.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulli Su View Post
    Do you just say you don't feel like drinking? What is your approach to it without offending someone?
    When I was younger I drank socially, because I thought I had to. Now I feel fine just straight up telling people I don't like the taste, and it's not worth the hangover for me.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulli Su View Post
    Do you just say you don't feel like drinking? What is your approach to it without offending someone?
    You just say no. If they are your friends, they won't get offended. If they get offended, they are not your friends.

  8. #28
    Just pick vodka-cola or rum-cola as an easy alternative to a full blown alcoholic drink.

  9. #29
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    38,322
    Tell them you're not an alcoholic.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  10. #30
    Since I don't go to bars it's easy.

  11. #31
    "Thanks but I would rather not drink".

  12. #32
    Legendary! callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,856
    No, thank you
    I'll pass
    Or something similarly innocuous and appropriate for something I never give a second thought to.

  13. #33
    Well..."I'm driving."
    Or "I'm the designated driver" or something.

  14. #34
    I say "I don't feel like partaking of the devil's nectar".

  15. #35
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    25,546
    I tell them I'm not interested. If they're offended that's their problem, not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer. You'll know the words, but you'll lack context. Maybe you will find something about your life where you are and others will tell you "just X" but somehow "just X" misses things about your environment. His question is a bit like that.
    Damn, way to drop some Rugrats logic on us.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer. You'll know the words, but you'll lack context. Maybe you will find something about your life where you are and others will tell you "just X" but somehow "just X" misses things about your environment. His question is a bit like that.
    If you can't explain it, you probably don't understand it as well as you think.

  18. #38
    I am Murloc! shadowmouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dongbei, PRC ... for now
    Posts
    5,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar
    If you can't explain it, you probably don't understand it as well as you think.
    Or I know my audience here and from other threads know most don't have a clue about cross culture communication and differences between Asia and Europe or North America. Let me throw that out there to the other guy too: @jakeic

    Look at pretty much any thread with @Katie N or @Freighter posting in it and what you'll see is post after post of people who get all bent out of shape and expect live in Vietnam or South Korea ought to work just the same as life in Germany, Finland, or Sweden.

    So, I'll assume you are both doing your obligatory snark for +1, but go hit Google and check out Hall's description of high and low context cultures. That's the "context" I refer to in what you've quoted. OP was asking a question that applied to a specific situation --getting along in Taiwan, which is high context. Most of the replies were based on low context, with an emphasis on individualism. In particular, I replied to a Swedish poster (Sweden being famously low context) that @Haidaes had already told about Asian culture, and been subsequently been blown off. Why? Because in Sweden we do it this way. Point was missed by such a wide margin that if she were on the range she wouldn't have even been firing towards the target.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

    Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

  19. #39
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    20,767
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Or I know my audience here and from other threads know most don't have a clue about cross culture communication and differences between Asia and Europe or North America. Let me throw that out there to the other guy too: @jakeic

    Look at pretty much any thread with @Katie N or @Freighter posting in it and what you'll see is post after post of people who get all bent out of shape and expect live in Vietnam or South Korea ought to work just the same as life in Germany, Finland, or Sweden.

    So, I'll assume you are both doing your obligatory snark for +1, but go hit Google and check out Hall's description of high and low context cultures. That's the "context" I refer to in what you've quoted. OP was asking a question that applied to a specific situation --getting along in Taiwan, which is high context. Most of the replies were based on low context, with an emphasis on individualism. In particular, I replied to a Swedish poster (Sweden being famously low context) that @Haidaes had already told about Asian culture, and been subsequently been blown off. Why? Because in Sweden we do it this way. Point was missed by such a wide margin that if she were on the range she wouldn't have even been firing towards the target.
    Very interesting point, though you shouldn't use Freighter as an example, they more than often do the same thing you're accusing others of doing.

    A very interesting bit of insight into foreign cultures.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before.

    A bunch of times actually.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Or I know my audience here and from other threads know most don't have a clue about cross culture communication and differences between Asia and Europe or North America. Let me throw that out there to the other guy too: @jakeic

    Look at pretty much any thread with @Katie N or @Freighter posting in it and what you'll see is post after post of people who get all bent out of shape and expect live in Vietnam or South Korea ought to work just the same as life in Germany, Finland, or Sweden.

    So, I'll assume you are both doing your obligatory snark for +1, but go hit Google and check out Hall's description of high and low context cultures. That's the "context" I refer to in what you've quoted. OP was asking a question that applied to a specific situation --getting along in Taiwan, which is high context. Most of the replies were based on low context, with an emphasis on individualism. In particular, I replied to a Swedish poster (Sweden being famously low context) that @Haidaes had already told about Asian culture, and been subsequently been blown off. Why? Because in Sweden we do it this way. Point was missed by such a wide margin that if she were on the range she wouldn't have even been firing towards the target.
    can you please give me a link where i can read up about this.
    all i found were blogs of foreigners discussing it, but i would rather read it from the POV of an "insider".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •