Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulli Su View Post
    Do you just say you don't feel like drinking? What is your approach to it without offending someone?
    Just say no. It's really as simple as that people just overthink things.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    By saying no?
    Why is that so hard?
    Sometime seen as an insult, depending on cultural perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar
    Now you're trying to change the subject, so I continue to snarkily assume you don't have that deep of an understanding on the subject.
    OK, wonderboy, what do you think the subject is? Are we following the question posted in the OP, the question I was replying to when you quoted me, or some other question that you've failed to define clearly?

That some people won't understand the answer is obvious, that's true of all answers to all questions.
    What remains is *why* a person did not understand. Telling a person "that shirt is blue" could leave them scratching their head, taking out a series of color samples might seem and answer, but it isn't going to work if they're color blind.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    OK, wonderboy, what do you think the subject is? Are we following the question posted in the OP, the question I was replying to when you quoted me, or some other question that you've failed to define clearly?

What remains is *why* a person did not understand. Telling a person "that shirt is blue" could leave them scratching their head, taking out a series of color samples might seem and answer, but it isn't going to work if they're color blind.
    Good grief is it really that difficult for you to follow? OP asked how to politely refuse a drink, another user explained that it would be akin to social suicide, someone else asked why it is different in the culture local to you than it is to their home culture, you made a rather snide remark, I called you out in an effort to persuade you to actually answer their question. Which you still apparently can't. Usually people who hide behind the, "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand" defense don't actually have a clue what they're talking about

Accept the invitation and tell them you will be the designated driver.

They will probably tell you just not to come.

Mission accomplished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: Post had an echo.

- - - Updated - - -

someone else asked why it is different in the culture local to you than it is to their home culture
    Seems others followed my answer just fine, @Mayhem for example. I've explained in detail, with links. Post #7, well before the post you quoted:

Random fellow expat? Turn it down politely as others have said.
    If things play more or less the same as on the mainland, if it is work related you may want to at least go along to be "part of the group". The Taiwanese guys I've had business dealings with take your willingness to have tea, share a meal, or drink with them pretty seriously.
    It seems to play as it would on the mainland, that if you drink together you're supposedly showing your real self, and business works on personal relationships. Think twice about dealing yourself out completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sol
    Why would it be different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes
    Because it's a social obligation in many Asian countries, especially among collegues after work or even during, in case of business meetings. There is really no equivalent in the west. Just saying no might have negative implications for your social and/or work life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sol
    Pff, you're seen as odd in sweden if you keep declining when people from work invite you. Which may result in differential treatment. You can still say no.
    Now, that Pfff follows my post explaining 1)if it is work related you may want to at least go along to be "part of the group" and 2)It seems to play as it would on the mainland, that if you drink together you're supposedly showing your real self, and business works on personal relationships.[/Quote] It also follows another poster giving the short answer version of the same points. And still the answer is to say how things are in Sweden (way out there for low context) while ignoring that Taiwan is not Sweden.

At that point it is clear, the person asking cannot imagine a place where things don't work as they do in Sweden and is failing to do even basic research to check what they've already been told several times. Even so, I went a bit further than you seem to have read:
    You'll know the words, but you'll lack context. Maybe you will find something about your life where you are and others will tell you "just X" but somehow "just X" misses things about your environment. His question is a bit like that.
    Hope that answers your question. Btw, bothering to type out Pff is dismissive enough that it gets answered in the same tone.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-12-04 at 11:08 AM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

"Can't make it today, sorry." People mostly have the good sense to leave it at that, but sometimes they inquire what's up. I don't think it's anyone's business why I can't make it. I have prior engagement, that's all the information they need.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's never a time I decline an invitation to drink as long as it's with family or friends but in your case just be like "nah man I'm good but thanks" and that's it. If they get offended by you saying something like that then they have problems.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Sulli Su View Post
    Do you just say you don't feel like drinking? What is your approach to it without offending someone?
    Medical condition seems to be a common thing i've heard. *i'm taking medicine right now and not allowed to drink* I know women that don't drink when they are menstrating.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    "How do you wipe? Front to back or side to side?"
    Don't be assinine. The obvious choice is putting a heap of toilet paper on the floor and just bouncing on it up and down.

I have made prior commitments. Goes home and puts on netflix*