Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi
    Sometimes you just have to put on your drinking pants.
    If the belt isn't tight, they keep sliding down over my eyes and make it harder to snack. My drink is right there, but you bastards keep moving the snacks saying they're hard for you to reach. How can I reach the snacks when my pants have fallen down over my eyes and you've moved them over by you! Finish your drink, you're behind.

Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-12-02 at 04:55 PM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulli Su View Post
    Do you just say you don't feel like drinking? What is your approach to it without offending someone?
    Just don't drink, or take a drink and hold it the whole night if you think not drinking makes you feel weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    If the belt isn't tight, they keep sliding down over my eyes and make it harder to snack. My drink is right there, but you bastards keep moving the snacks saying they're hard for you to reach. How can I reach the snacks when my pants have fallen down over my eyes and you've moved them over by you! Finish your drink, you're behind.

Tie them around your neck like a cape.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Politely say "no" to the invitation? Seems fairly simple to me.

If I don't feel like drinking, I don't feel like drinking. I like to drink, but there's a time and a place for it, and I may not always be in the mood for it at a given time. Anyone who gets offended by that can piss off.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-12-02 at 07:19 PM.

Do you just say you don't feel like drinking? What is your approach to it without offending someone?
    When I was younger I drank socially, because I thought I had to. Now I feel fine just straight up telling people I don't like the taste, and it's not worth the hangover for me.

You just say no. If they are your friends, they won't get offended. If they get offended, they are not your friends.

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Just pick vodka-cola or rum-cola as an easy alternative to a full blown alcoholic drink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell them you're not an alcoholic.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Since I don't go to bars it's easy.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, thank you
    I'll pass
    Or something similarly innocuous and appropriate for something I never give a second thought to.

Well..."I'm driving."
    Or "I'm the designated driver" or something.

I say "I don't feel like partaking of the devil's nectar".

10+ Year Old Account
    I tell them I'm not interested. If they're offended that's their problem, not mine.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer. You'll know the words, but you'll lack context. Maybe you will find something about your life where you are and others will tell you "just X" but somehow "just X" misses things about your environment. His question is a bit like that.
    Damn, way to drop some Rugrats logic on us.

If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer. You'll know the words, but you'll lack context. Maybe you will find something about your life where you are and others will tell you "just X" but somehow "just X" misses things about your environment. His question is a bit like that.
    If you can't explain it, you probably don't understand it as well as you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar
    If you can't explain it, you probably don't understand it as well as you think.
    Or I know my audience here and from other threads know most don't have a clue about cross culture communication and differences between Asia and Europe or North America. Let me throw that out there to the other guy too: @jakeic

Look at pretty much any thread with @Katie N or @Freighter posting in it and what you'll see is post after post of people who get all bent out of shape and expect live in Vietnam or South Korea ought to work just the same as life in Germany, Finland, or Sweden.

So, I'll assume you are both doing your obligatory snark for +1, but go hit Google and check out Hall's description of high and low context cultures. That's the "context" I refer to in what you've quoted. OP was asking a question that applied to a specific situation --getting along in Taiwan, which is high context. Most of the replies were based on low context, with an emphasis on individualism. In particular, I replied to a Swedish poster (Sweden being famously low context) that @Haidaes had already told about Asian culture, and been subsequently been blown off. Why? Because in Sweden we do it this way. Point was missed by such a wide margin that if she were on the range she wouldn't have even been firing towards the target.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or I know my audience here and from other threads know most don't have a clue about cross culture communication and differences between Asia and Europe or North America. Let me throw that out there to the other guy too: @jakeic

Look at pretty much any thread with @Katie N or @Freighter posting in it and what you'll see is post after post of people who get all bent out of shape and expect live in Vietnam or South Korea ought to work just the same as life in Germany, Finland, or Sweden.

So, I'll assume you are both doing your obligatory snark for +1, but go hit Google and check out Hall's description of high and low context cultures. That's the "context" I refer to in what you've quoted. OP was asking a question that applied to a specific situation --getting along in Taiwan, which is high context. Most of the replies were based on low context, with an emphasis on individualism. In particular, I replied to a Swedish poster (Sweden being famously low context) that @Haidaes had already told about Asian culture, and been subsequently been blown off. Why? Because in Sweden we do it this way. Point was missed by such a wide margin that if she were on the range she wouldn't have even been firing towards the target.
    Very interesting point, though you shouldn't use Freighter as an example, they more than often do the same thing you're accusing others of doing.

A very interesting bit of insight into foreign cultures.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

can you please give me a link where i can read up about this.
    all i found were blogs of foreigners discussing it, but i would rather read it from the POV of an "insider".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    A very interesting bit of insight into foreign cultures.
    If you find it interesting, you might enjoy The Geography of Thought. After that, maybe branch out to the Lewis model; I forget the title of his book though.

Edit: Sorry, your post popped up as I was replying to Mayhem.

Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux
    can you please give me a link where i can read up about this.
    Here's the book: https://www.amazon.com/Geography-Tho.../dp/0743255356

Here's a bit from a university. With my search engines hamstrung, I'm linking the first one that gave me a short, linkable page. I haven't picked Pacific as a particular expert in the field: https://www2.pacific.edu/sis/culture...igh_and_Lo.htm

Here's something for the Lewis Model: https://www.crossculture.com/about-us/the-model/
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-12-03 at 11:52 AM.

That some people won't understand the answer is obvious, that's true of all answers to all questions. Now you're trying to change the subject, so I continue to snarkily assume you don't have that deep of an understanding on the subject.