Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    For those who want KOTOR 3, go play the Jedi Knight class story in SWTOR, its better than KOTOR 3 would have ever been. SWTOR has many failings, but the vanilla content is the best storytelling in any MMO.
    Interesting.
    Maybe i shall give a try...we have 1 year to do anything before Shadowlands (>_<)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Bioware were stars long before this.
    When “Old-School” Just Isn’t Old-School Enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d1phCytJyg

You made me remember this
    But you are right, its impossible Lucas Arts made a deal with a "nobody" company at the time to make a Star Wars game.

Bioware were made stars with BG2 if you ask me. Then jumped forward another tier with ME1.

Personally, while I like KOTOR a lot (it being my first Bioware game), I don't think it is close to their best. I rate BG2, ME2, DA:O, and DA:Inquisition above it. And KOTOR 2 was better as well, the original suffered from being just too black and white, and adhering to Star Wars tropes and stories just too much for my liking. The fact that the second game is a vicious deconstruction of the setting might explain my love for it, and it wasn't made by Bioware anyway.

Bioware's magnum opus was Dragon Age: Origins as far as I'm concerned.

10+ Year Old Account
    For real, the class stories in Swtor are actually excellent. These days, with the way levels work, you can easily just play Class and Planet stories, and you'll never be underleveled.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    was kotor the game with the woman named bastilla?
    i remember i played kotor on xbox back then and it was one of my favoured games next to morrowind..

15+ Year Old Account
    The gameplay just wasn't there for me. What Mass Effect etc did so right for me was while it was pretty simple it didn't annoy me and I got immersed in the story. KOTOR just annoyed me any time I had to fight

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Does SWTOR have the same "world building" as a fully fleshed-out solo RPG?

Like...for example...in KOTOR:

1) You can have detailed dialogue with a random Merchant.
    There is an option to buy a robot from her...and as you are leaving the robot explodes.
    You can go back to the merchant and ask for your money back...

2) Some random ass female character at a Bar, if you talk to her, she looks down on you and mistakes you for a waiter who works there.
    If you do not "roll over" and let her look down on you...she storms out of the Bar promissing revenge.
    You then have to face and fight her guards at the exit.

I could go on and on...and on...and tell you a lot more random encounters i had in the world...and i just played a little tiny bit of the game
    The world building in insane.
    Swtor most definitely has as much world building if your doing all the side quest planet quest and companion quest. then you also have all the different class story's and variations based on race and class.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Swtor most definitely has as much world building if your doing all the side quest planet quest and companion quest. then you also have all the different class story's and variations based on race and class.
    Thats really intriguing. I would like to play it myself...that Star Wars MMO has a sub fee with Origin launcher, correct?
    Maybe ill play it once i finish KOTOR

7+ Year Old Account
    Thats really intriguing. I would like to play it myself...that Star Wars MMO has a sub fee with Origin launcher, correct?
    It's free but they limit you out the wazoo on xp credits even action bars. I always resub when i'm gonna play though it as tis just way better then the free option. you can also get a launcher just for ti and not use origin.

The only thing i want in life is a remake of kotor/kotor2, or kotor 3, with the graphics and gameplay of jedi fallen order. I absolutely love the freedom, world, story, and rpg aspects of the kotor games, but good lord does the combat suck ass. The same for dragon age.

While they recently gave a lot more to F2P members, it's still worth 15 dollars for a play through of at least one of the stories. I believe you get bumped up to preferred forever than as well, which is an account status between sub and f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    seems very harsh to compare a great game like kotor to the elder scrolls series

@Daemos daemonium @Dakhath

Im downloading the game as we speak...but i cant make "it" happear on the Origin launcher. Do i have to do anything special?

From the Origin launcher i was redirected to the official site because i chose the "free to play" version.

7+ Year Old Account
    @Daemos daemonium @Dakhath

Im downloading the game as we speak...but i cant make "it" happear on the Origin launcher. Do i have to do anything special?

From the Origin launcher i was redirected to the official site because i chose the "free to play" version.
    It should just launch it's own launcher and run form that Im not sure how or if you can make it run form origin.

7+ Year Old Account
    I played kotor so much back in the day i never need to play it again. Kotor 2 was good but felt like it was missing a lot, then some time later we found out it was. Modding the cut content back into kotor 2 makes to so good.

Are you a Bioware fan?
    I grew up with their games and loved almost all of them, from Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect, and the Mass Effect Trilogy in particular is the closest thing I have to a religion, so in that sense I'm definitely a fan. With that said, they've been shitting the bed as of late and have tested my leniency just one time too many, so I'm not the kind of fan who blindly defends their practices and the subpar quality of their modern games.

Have you experienced the Bioware's Golden Age of games?
    Experienced it? I lived it, breathed it. It is part of my being.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Unpopular opinion maybe but the MMORPG was great when it was first released, but the didn't seem to have a clear vision or goal of what do after people completed the initial game. The voice acting also played a large problem that I saw. I still actually enjoy playing through the campaigns.
    That's no an unpopular opinion. Most people left because there was nothing to do at then end. Even hardcore grinds were lacking.

People still go back and play the story additions because they are good (unless you have anime tropes).

SWTOR has the best single player experience in any MMORPG (in my book). Its DLC and expansions included.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It definitely was one of my favorite games of 2000's and still my favorite Star Wars game.

Kotor 2 i still haven't really given a proper chance, despite being excited for it after the first one was so good, because it had the misfortune of releasing the exact same day as freakin WoW (in EU). Only like a year later i rushed through it and didn't really think much of it. Jade Empire was much like that too, and while i did like it, i never even finished it.

I did try the MMO Swtor too, briefly, but it just felt like inferior version of WoW so gave up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I keep going back to both KotOR games, and somehow they never get boring. They might be the best story-driven RPGs ever. The gameplay was certainly not the best and it was very easy to abuse some mechanics, just rolling through the game spamming one skill, but the writing and characterisation was mind-blowing. The characters and their interactions are unforgettable. I just with that KotOR2 was not rushed, it definitely had the potential to be the best RPG ever.
    Yeah, this is where I'm at - once a yearish I play through, and still love both games, the characters, and especially the ideas which 2 presents. Kreia might be my favorite mentor figure in any game or story. "Ask, and I will answer."

- - - Updated - - -

The game that launched Bioware to stardom.
    Was curious if anyone else here experienced the rise to stardom of Bioware, starting with this game.

Bioware Golden Age of games:

-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (16 July 2003)
    -Jade Empire (12 April 2005)
    -Mass Effect (20 November 2007)
    -Dragon Age: Origins (3 November 2009)

Missing Neverwinter Nights

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    was kotor the game with the woman named bastilla?
    i remember i played kotor on xbox back then and it was one of my favoured games next to morrowind..
    Yup, that's the one!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I’ve yet to play either KOTOR game or Jade Empire. I keep meaning to but I never get around to it for some reason. Dragon Age Origins is hands down their best game though. Mass Effect 2&3 are pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    For those who want KOTOR 3, go play the Jedi Knight class story in SWTOR, its better than KOTOR 3 would have ever been. SWTOR has many failings, but the vanilla content is the best storytelling in any MMO.
    The Jedi Knight is one of the worse class stories. Sith Warrior and Inquisitor are way better.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2019-12-03 at 10:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, KoTOR was an amazing game. I got into BioWare games with Baldur's Gate, and later Baldur's Gate 2 (which is in my opinion their best game). Neverwinter Nights started out kinda rocky for me - the base game wasn't amazing but the expansions made it great also.