Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

FFXIV Is Unrewarding

Yoshi-P and his team need to add a system that increases player retention. As it stands, outside of completing the main story quests, I have little reason to remain subscribed.

• New Game+ is garbage and only applies to MSQ. Additionally, you lose all progress if you relog.

• The PvP is terrible. I don't think Yoshi-P and his gang of hooligans realize that imbalance is the key to great PvP. Right now, PvP in FFXIV is laughable and there is virtually ZERO room for counterplay. Go pick up samurai and you'll see what I mean.

• Why can't we duel in the open world? Is the code in this game so fucking garbage that everything has to be limited in one way or another?

At this point, the 'spaghetti code' in this game that both the community and developers jump behind whenever something even remotely complex is asked for is getting really old.

• They have the ability to remove bullshit like the loading screens.

• They have the ability to enable open-world duelling.

• They have the ability to add flying to the vanilla zones.

• They have the ability to 'balance' PvP. Instead, however, they insist on making every class laughably simple and disallowing any room for counterplay.

Lastly, add a mythic plus system. The dungeons are boring and pathetic after the first playthrough.

- - - Updated - - -

How in the actual hell did Viera and Hrothgar get released in their current state? There are items on the mog station that you PAY MONEY FOR that does not even display properly on them.

That is Warlords of Draenor terrible. Releasing an incomplete gender locked race and one of them has a permanent hunch!
    Last edited by mario710; 2019-12-03 at 02:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... Removing load screens is a lot harder than you think. You cant simply slap the zones down and they will work perfectly. And old vanilla zones would have to be modified to get rid of any facades used, just like Cataclysm.

Overall not that great a thread.

It's alright not to play it everyday. Since it's just a game, you can stop forcing yourself if it's hard on you to keep that up. Rather, it'll just pile up unnecessary stress if you limit yourself into playing just that one game since there are so many other games out there. So, do come back and play it to your heart's content when the major patch kicks in, then stop it to play other games before you got burnt out, and then come back for another major patch. This will actually make me happier, and in the end, I think this is the best solution I can answer for keeping your motivation up for the game.
    Here, Yoship talking player retention and burnouts.

Hello there, Fellow FFXIV player here and I want to say LOL

This is no where NEAR as bad as "Warlords of Draenor" hell this isnt even "BFA" level of bad. This expansion is just fine. Its One of the best expansions to a MMO I played in a long time. It has good catch up mechanics, the raids are fun and interesting and the Savage Modes are hard, but fair. I LOVE this expansion way more than I did Heavensward.

This game does not need a mythic plus system. Dungeons should NOT reward Savage mode level gear. You get a chance at savage mode level gear from doing the weekly raid and even then its only 1 item per week and its not the best itemized except for a few slots. Dungeons serve their purpose as being ways to catch up to current content and get you ready for raid.

I agree PVP is lackluster but World PVP does not make sense for this game because we're all one faction. There is no opposing faction except for the Asciens.

New Game + Was meant to let you relive the story, but I agree, it shouldnt break progress cause you relog.

I agree it has a few problems but as far as expansions go, its one of my favorite. So much so Its the 1st expansion I did this in -

lmao no one gives a single shit about pvp. if thats what you are into, a different game is the best option. i wouldnt want them to waste even 1 hour on pvp lmfao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mario710 View Post
    Yoshi-P and his team need to add a system that increases player retention. As it stands, outside of completing the main story quests, I have little reason to remain subscribed.

• New Game+ is garbage and only applies to MSQ. Additionally, you lose all progress if you relog.
    • The PvP is terrible. I don't think Yoshi-P and his gang of hooligans realize that imbalance is the key to great PvP. Right now, PvP in FFXIV is laughable and there is virtually ZERO room for counterplay. Go pick up samurai and you'll see what I mean.
    • Why can't we duel in the open world? Is the code in this game so fucking garbage that everything has to be limited in one way or another?

At this point, the 'spaghetti code' in this game that both the community and developers jump behind whenever something even remotely complex is asked for is getting really old.

• They have the ability to 'balance' PvP. Instead, however, they insist on making every class laughably simple and disallowing any room for counterplay.

Lastly, add a mythic plus system. The dungeons are boring and pathetic after the first playthrough.

- - - Updated - - -

How in the actual hell did Viera and Hrothgar get released in their current state? There are items on the mog station that you PAY MONEY FOR that does not even display properly on them.

That is Warlords of Draenor terrible. Releasing an incomplete gender locked race and one of them has a permanent hunch!
    Why do people play games that don't focus on pvp and expect good pvp? You have some valid complaints, but this is a common theme I see and I just don't understand why people do it. It's an easy enough thing to throw in for the hell of it, but balancing it properly is a lot bigger task than people think.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

You'll forgive my insolence and confusion... How can you even know about any of this if you got banned for asking for a refund? Are you lying now or were you lying then? Inquiring minds insist on knowing.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You'll forgive my insolence and confusion... How can you even know about any of this if you got banned for asking for a refund? Are you lying now or were you lying then? Inquiring minds insist on knowing.
    I mean, he pretty much just hangs around the FFXIV forums to make a post every so often about how much he hates the game, after also saying he was banned. I'm not sure we can expect a good faith answer from him at this point.

There's things I'm not crazy about with this game but none of these are it. The things games have to do to try and keep you subbed forever aren't healthy for those games. Its perfectly ok that you have a stopping point and can drop the game for a bit and then come back. Its how it should be.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I mean, he pretty much just hangs around the FFXIV forums to make a post every so often about how much he hates the game, after also saying he was banned. I'm not sure we can expect a good faith answer from him at this point.
    I can not disagree with your assessment... I often wonder what has to be going on in someone's head to make them continue to pay to play a game they very clearly hate.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Hey That Guys ban ran out and he's back again.

snip
    While you do actually have a few points worth discussing; your presentation, lack of insight, and history don't lend well to a constructive discussion.

I will say that the PVP in this game is borderline criminal. It's terribly balanced and not in a "good" way. Some roles are nearly useless, and the criteria for winning is entirely dependent on the # of healers you have and the # of ranged. Not only that, but the netcode just doesn't support PVP. It barely supports PVE.

If I was in charge PVP would never have existed (and I'm a HUGE PVP fan). It simply can't exist meaningfully in this game so why bother devoting resources to it when other areas desperately need it.

>"Hooligans"

Boy, you realize these same "hooligans" are same devs who brought this game back from the dead and made it THE MOST subscribed MMO today, right? At least, as far as I'm aware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, another Mario thread full of misinformation. What a surprise.

Go back to BFA and quit with the stale "hot takes."
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Diatethis View Post
    made it THE MOST subscribed MMO today
    That's a funny joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

This isn't a way to start a discussion. I'll leave the thread open in case folks want to discuss the topics with civility, but be respectful towards each other and the devs in general, please.

Since you cannot respond I want to echo the comments of other. On the PVE side the game is pretty solid but as others have stated the game is not heavily focused on pvp. Flying was not added in WoW until Cataclysm but for some reason this is forgotten. That was the 4th expansion.

ALSO lets remember here one pretty damn crucial difference between WoW and FF14. The storyline from Vanilla FF14 to Shadowbringers is continuous. If you want to argue this with me about WoW then we can go there and I'll bring Khadgar!

Loading zones I actually agree and if you compared Crystarium to Uldah there is a very large difference in how the cities were designed and lack of loading screens.

Open world dualing is a legit complaint but I have not seen some huge out cry for it.

FF14 has been far more rewarding with simple concepts like GEAR VENDORS!! Tokens that I earn that get me set gear with set sockets. I do not have to argue with developers about the basics of MMO gear stats. I cannot tell you how nice that is.

Oldskool WoW > FF14 > Modern WoW imo

Wonder how many times mario710 will get banned before it actually stays permanent.

Uff... ok theres a lot to unpack here. I agree with some things but not others.

"New game + is garbage"

I agree. Tried saying that in the official forums and got mauled, but it's still true no matter how defensive people get. It is a missed opportunity and a waste of resources for it to at least not give XP.

"PvP is terrible"

Disagree. I also disagree inbalance makes good PvP. I like how balanced it is and how it reminds me of GW1 PvP. It's a strategic battle about positioning. There is also room for small roamer groups/individuals if the groups are locked in a strategically unfavored situation. I loved GW1 and i really enjoy this too. I also love that theres 3 factions and it leads to player motivated balance when the 2 losing teams try to take on the winning one.

With that said, i see two problems. One being that the queue timer is long cause it requires 72 players. It's not the only thing, but they need to restructure their infrastructure. Queue times in general are very unsatisfactory outside special moogle events.
    So, yes, PvP is unrewarding cause it only gives cosmetics and a bit of XP that is not worth the time in queue.

It a general problem. They need to connect their data centers.

"Duels"

No idea. Not something that ever crossed my mind. Keep in mind this was created as a PvE game. PvP was patched in later (and it's really a seperate game within the game).
    Oh, btw, i do believe there is an arena on the Wolves Den where you can duel other players. So, get whoever you want to duel with to go there with you. If you just want to spam other players with duel requests, then i'm not feeling sorry cause that is annoying.

Loading screens, etc are engine limitations and to make it work in more machines i suppose. YoshiP has said before how he would like another ARR reboot so they can redo the base code.
    About Mythic+ he said they would love to but don't have the resources/Aka they would have to cut on other things. I can't say if it's worth it or not cause he didn't specify what and said that they are happy with their content patches and want to keep it up.

Personally, they do seem to release content more often than WoW, even though, it's different kinds of content.

I don't think the races are incomplete. The Viera and Hrothgar are the counterparts. One Female one male. I don't think there's anything wrong with them. It's just a different aproach you're not used to.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-12-04 at 03:02 AM.