Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Your claim of 'You want Wow to be on top' and those numbers have the same point of origin. Someone's ass. It's okay to be intellectually dishonest, I dont mind. Just drop the charade of pretending you are being honest. Attempting to pass off made up numbers as fact isn't going to work with me... So drop it and walk away.
    Right back at you buddy. Also, reading comprehension. I never passed them as facts.

I played WoW for many years and i have no secret agenda to want to see it fail. I have friends that still play it. I am disappointed with how it's been changing, and nothing would make me happier than to see it turn around (why would i even be in this forum if i didn't care for wow? Seriously...). But, your claim is the one that is completely disonest. I have no need for FF to be the one with most players. FF is not the only mmo i play. So, yeah, you are making stuff up to fit your narrative. I read the numbers i saw and i have been on both games in the last few months and extrapolated it made sense. By the way, mmo-pop doesn't track only those games, i actually got to it cause of another mmo and the numbers correspond to what i know from those games too.

So, yeah... this is all in your head. I find the site interesting information, you find it for "mmo"(?) wars. It's all in your head.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-12-06 at 04:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Right back at you buddy. Also, reading comprehension. I never passed them as facts.

I played WoW for many years and i have no secret agenda to want to see it fail. I have friends that still play it. I am disappointed with how it's been changing, and nothing would make me happier than to see it turn around. But, your claim is the one that is completely disonest. I have no need for FF to be the one with most players. FF is not the only mmo i play. So, yeah, you are making stuff up to fit your narrative. I read the numbers i saw and i have been on both games in the last few months and extrapolated. By the way, mmo-pop doesn't track only those games, i actually got to it cause of another mmo and the numbers correspond to what i know from those games too.

So, yeah... this is all in your head. I find the site interesting information, you find it for "mmo"(?) wars. It's all in your head.
    Good for you, I'm pleased you found it 'interesting' I did not find anything interesting about it. I found it to be like you, dishonest.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Good for you, I'm pleased you found it 'interesting' I did not find anything interesting about it. I found it to be like you, dishonest.
    You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how ridiculous or false.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    He's not script writer, he's translator. He's intentionally mistranslating text to turn normal speech into primitive "ahoy me hearties" caricature. There are tons of such examples, including famous Midgardsormr scene in 2.5 story where clear script became such a cryptic mess that most people completely misunderstood his motives.
    And now? What's your point?
    How is it poor "taste" when it's language used among these types of guys that fits the occassion.
    I don't get it - FF14 has a lot of darkish themes going on. slavery, (teenage) prostitution even extreme brutallity..why

Depending on what type of character is saying that, his translation/change makes a lot of sense and might even enhance the experience.
    (I don't understand what you are getting at)
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-12-06 at 04:22 PM.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    Tried out the game recently...
    How do you guys deal with that absurd 2.5 second GCD?
    There's really no excuse for how slow the game plays early on. But it does get better, as you get bigger rotations with some decision making and abilities that aren't on the GCD to weave in between those abilities that are on the GCD, and on some classes the gcd is more like 2 seconds, and on other classes you're sometimes timing 2 abilities between that 2.5 second window since you can't just mash out your off GCD abilities like you can in wow.

I hated it at first as well, but it just feels totally "right" to me now. When I go back to wow everything feels so unnecessarily spammy. The fact that I don't have to listen to jackasses over discord mash their opener, pounding at their keyboard like it's a fightstick and their first time at an arcade is also a nice benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    They were talking about the OP I'm pretty sure. His entire post history is almost nothing but bait posts about FFXIV.

Alternatively, that guy who keeps arguing in this thread. I haven't been. I'm not really sure what would make you consider it's me.
    I was talking about swnem, the guy that quoted you since he also assumed you were talking about him. Though yes you are completely correct about the OP as well as he quite clearly is going to keep making topics like this every time he's unbanned.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2019-12-06 at 07:47 AM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    He's not script writer, he's translator. He's intentionally mistranslating text to turn normal speech into primitive "ahoy me hearties" caricature. There are tons of such examples, including famous Midgardsormr scene in 2.5 story where clear script became such a cryptic mess that most people completely misunderstood his motives.
    If you originally had said the translation takes too many liberties that sometimes affect the plot then that would matter. And yes it is true. But you talked about the "poor taste" of having a scoundrel be offensive. It is not.

Edit:
    I tried mulling over your posts a bit more for the sake of reaching a common ground, as should be the goal of any discussion, and I think I found where I misundertood.

You mention the Midgar issue because your objection is the localization team changed something (I assume) inoffensive in japanese to something offensive in english. And I disagree as that's the nature of localization and fits the setting, but I understand your issue with it. To clarify better your position I have a question though, if the original japanese script had a bad guy saying offensive things would you also consider that poor taste?
    Last edited by Hyral; 2019-12-06 at 11:39 AM.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

That isn't correct. The Japanese version of the game is very dry and the Japanese community care far less for the game's story than the EU and NA crowd do. The story is much more fleshed out along with characters and general flavour where the English translation is concerned. For many the localisation is a large part as to why they were even drawn into the game in the first place. That was certainly the case for me, since it was refreshing to experience an MMO that didn't have every character talk like a modern day American.

I unsubbed. Probably won't be back till 5.5 or next expansion at earliest. 5.1 patch lasted me too little. Did the new MSQs and Alliance raid (Copied factory) within 2 days. Beast tribes, meh, I hate dailies. Ishgard restoration didn't really impress me either, and not really interested in its rewards. There isn't much new outside of that. I think Blue Mage had its cap increased, but that's a limited job that you mostly play solo only. The concept of this class never really jived with me. Though even if for some reason I was interested in this class, 10 levels only takes maybe a few days to grind out. Still not enough content to last till 5.2.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    I think Blue Mage had its cap increased, but that's a limited job that you mostly play solo only.
    They are getting their own Duty Finder with everything from ARR and HW, even the Alliance Raids, so it won't be a mainly solo job anymore. Then again forming groups will probably take forever since nobody plays BLU. I would say you are not missing anything and see ya next patch/expac!
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

Well, there's the BLU stuff coming as well as a new PvP map and two seasonal events - one for Christmas and another for the New Year. So there's definitely new content coming soon. We're also getting the first look at 5.2 during the Live Letter on December 13th.

I mean, of course they did. Cause they were in trouble with Blizz. But, i doubt the numbers weren't somewhat in the ballpark.
    As i said at the start, there is no way to know for sure, but it sounds plausable to me given all the developments that have come to pass. It seems to fit, but hey you got your opinion and i got mine. The end of the matter is that we don't know for sure and if you got a problem with that data you should bring it up with the website. I reported on it, i didn't make it up.
    You can't really be like hey I'm just the messenger, I'm not responsible for spreading misinformation. The real world doesn't work like that.

The major difference between say you and I is that I'm not here saying that definitively WoW has more players. That's why you don't see me going around saying it in discussions. I simply refute BAD info when it's presented, like your resource. It's not something we really have to argue about honestly.

I read the numbers i saw and i have been on both games in the last few months and extrapolated it made sense. By the way, mmo-pop doesn't track only those games, i actually got to it cause of another mmo and the numbers correspond to what i know from those games too.
    What MMO brought you to the site, what numbers did it show, and how did they correspond to what you know? How do you know that information about this "other" game is accurate? Have any links/sources to justify your faith in the resource for this other game?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    I hated it at first as well, but it just feels totally "right" to me now. When I go back to wow everything feels so unnecessarily spammy. The fact that I don't have to listen to jackasses over discord mash their opener, pounding at their keyboard like it's a fightstick and their first time at an arcade is also a nice benefit.
    #AHK. One of the best things I ever did was writing an AHK script to mash keys for me by simply holding them down. No more RSI's, no more noise, just a delicate dance across the keys like playing a piano (not that I can play one lol). Not only that, but as fatigue sets in it gives guaranteed repeatable performance gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruktai View Post
    Well, there's the BLU stuff coming as well as a new PvP map and two seasonal events - one for Christmas and another for the New Year. So there's definitely new content coming soon. We're also getting the first look at 5.2 during the Live Letter on December 13th.
    For some of us that's not really content that's fun, lasting, or even good. BLU is a disgrace. PvP maps are mostly dead and hardly fun (I say this as a dedicated FGC member and PVP game fan), and seasonal events are usually one and done for useless rewards.

That's just my opinion though, but I do know I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    For some of us that's not really content that's fun, lasting, or even good. BLU is a disgrace. PvP maps are mostly dead and hardly fun (I say this as a dedicated FGC member and PVP game fan), and seasonal events are usually one and done for useless rewards.

Right, though the game's content model hasn't really changed since the days of ARR. Despite that, it sees continued success. We're not going to see any drastic shake ups until subscription and engagement levels begin to decline. Japanese game developers are a lot more stubborn when it comes to doing things their way, so the feedback from the EU and NA side of things is mostly just noise to them.

It sucks, but it's best to just focus on the positives and subscribe when in the mood. Yoshi-P is even on record telling people to play other games if they're bored or need a break.

I get where you're coming from, but BLU is fun while the skill farming lasts, at least for me...but only the over world and dungeon skills. The ones that require you to do the trials are terrible. Getting new skills, earning new stuff, playing the job differently as a result is what makes it fun for me, which is why I typically enjoy leveling so much because you can see and feel the character growth. Gear doesn't interest me as much because, in most cases, your game play doesn't change at all as a result you just play the same way you always have and get bigger numbers. That's not exciting to me.

I agree that there needs to be more content that can be repeated and scaled, but but there's nothing inherently wrong with having a system that does have a perceived "end." MMO's are just somewhat intended to be longer term endeavors, so having multiple systems have a perceived "end" isn't really conducive to that design intent.

You can't really be like hey I'm just the messenger, I'm not responsible for spreading misinformation. The real world doesn't work like that.

The major difference between say you and I is that I'm not here saying that definitively WoW has more players. That's why you don't see me going around saying it in discussions. I simply refute BAD info when it's presented, like your resource. It's not something we really have to argue about honestly.
    I am not spreading misinformation. You have no way to say that the numbers aren't plausible. All signs we have seen point to a trend wich makes it possible. I already mentioned them from the leak to wowlogs/fflogs servers. It's called an estimate. I didn't hide it was an estimate, i didn't say it was a certainty, i said it was a possibility. But you say wich such certainty that it is completely wrong, so, lets see your source on that.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    PvP maps are mostly dead and hardly fun (I say this as a dedicated FGC member and PVP game fan)
    Whoa, Nellie! I know this is your opinion but PvP gets enough warranted hate without some of it suddenly being directed at an aspect that I believe really doesn't deserve it. The PvP maps are definitely fun and serve their purpose, to accentuate the power struggle that comes from a large scale fight of three faction.

Let's just take Seal Rock as an example, where the tomeliths can spawn at random places in the rocky island. Because of this the battlefield changes often, one time a tomelith might spawn behind your own lines making it much easier to defend, but if it spawns in an open field you are at the mercy of the other two companies catching you in a pincer and losing the node anyway, however if it spawns within the caverns now your team can decide to keep watch over the larger entrance while putting a token group on the choke point because you know the other two companies will be too busy killing each other to really push in though there. That's not even taking into account when multiple tomes spawn and their different worth. Your team might decide to just forego one spawn due to it's low worth to take a gamble and be in a better position of seizing the next one while the other two companies fight for the previous.

Some of the most fun I've had during PvP was deliberating and making such calls with the rest of the group and trying to adapt to the map together. And given that I usually freelance and end up with the Flames I can only imagine Mael and Adders do that even more considering those are the factions where PvPers tend to go to.

I'd say PvP in XIV is bad mostly because of the issues with server lag and the ever present balance problems that every MMO has, but the maps are some of the best aspects of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    you talked about the "poor taste" of having a scoundrel be offensive. It is not.

I mean, he's not even scoundrel, he's shipwright.
    (It's not my screenshot, apparently someone on Reddit was as confused as I)
    To clarify better your position I have a question though, if the original japanese script had a bad guy saying offensive things would you also consider that poor taste?
    I'd still be concerned with how anybody could come up with that line, but I'd be less pissed about man in the middle trying to show off when there's no need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Aruktai View Post
    That isn't correct. The Japanese version of the game is very dry and the Japanese community care far less for the game's story than the EU and NA crowd do. The story is much more fleshed out along with characters and general flavour where the English translation is concerned. For many the localisation is a large part as to why they were even drawn into the game in the first place. That was certainly the case for me, since it was refreshing to experience an MMO that didn't have every character talk like a modern day American.
    This may be different for native speakers and people who learned English as second (third, etc.) language. You might be amused by all characters speaking either in ye olde English or like they are XVII's century british sailors, I'm just annoyed, especially when I clearly hear Japanese voice that is telling completely different thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, he's not even scoundrel, he's shipwright.
    (It's not my screenshot, apparently someone on Reddit was as confused as I)
    So it was a Lominsan after all. A dead whore in a pirate nation wouldn't be something to be coy about really. Though I don't see it as poor taste I'll grant that it wasn't necessary and understand it would be upsetting to someone.

(also that person on reddit wasn't confused but amused, almost everyone seemed to take it well:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...iately_take_a/ )

I'd still be concerned with how anybody could come up with that line
    Anybody can come up with that line because it's not abnormal. Uneducated people, bad people, they can come up with rough offensive lines because of their poor life experiences. And personally as someone who has lived in places where people talk like that because of their lack of means and education yeah, it seemed fitting rather than outrageous since that's how it would normally be. I don't think it's worth being upset about but I understand why it would be.
    Last edited by Hyral; 2019-12-06 at 06:41 PM.

Tsee ya next patch/expac!
    Next expansion, not next patch. If 5.1 was any indication, 5.2 will only have 2 days more or less worth of content. The only reason I might come back 5.5 (the patch before expansion) is to prepare my toon for the expansion so that when the expansion launches I can do it right away. Though maybe I'll hold out until the expansion itself because a few days having to catch up when expansion launches might not be a deal-breaker for me, though maybe I'll hate the feeling everyone's doing the expansion, while I'm still tackling the patch MSQs and old content. That fear of missing out, or fomo, can be strong sometimes.