Page 1 of 2
LastLast

California could get wetter this century

Back in 2017, at our firm we were discussing a model by scientists at the University of Irvine which predicts that California will get an average of 12 percent more precipitation through the end of this century, compared to the last 20 years of last century. The model also shows that the winter months of December, January and February, when California traditionally gets the bulk of its precipitation, would account for much of the overall increase in precipitation. During those three months, precipitation levels would increase 31.6 percent in northern California, 39.2 percent in central California and 10.6 percent in southern California.

The study found that warming in the tropical eastern Pacific Ocean sea surface temperatures, an area about 2,500 miles east of the international date line, is the main reason for the predicted increase in precipitation levels. The warming sea surface temperatures encourage a southeastward shift of the jet stream, which helps steer more rain-producing mid-latitude cyclones toward California. The mechanism is similar to what we in California experience during an El Nino year.

The study is linked below.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16055

Back then we thought the conclusion of the study was funny and the scientists were bonkers. Fast forward 3 years, and California has had four successive wet years. Last rainy season lasted well into May. I went to SF for my nephew's graduation in late May, and saw fields in Central Valley under water. In May mind you. This rainy season, at my place we already had over 10 inches of precipitation. Here is a picture from my hike up Mount Laguna on November 22nd. I guess we can't say "it never rains in Southern California" anymore.

Longer, hotter summers; shorter, warmer winters. That’s a bad combo. California depends a lot on snowpack in the mountains to the east for water through the year, but warmer winters mean more rain but not necessarily snow.

And more rain also means more flooding and mudslides, especially after fires due to the hot summers.
    Last edited by Dwarfhamster; 2019-12-05 at 07:13 AM. Reason: sleepy typos

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Longer, hotter summers; shorter, warmer winters. That’s a bad combo. California depends a lot on snowpack in the mountains to the east for water through the year, but warmer winters mean more rain but not necessarily snow.

And more rain also means more flooding and mudslides, especiallafged fires due to the hot summers.
    Precisely this. California needs its snowpack to get it through dry months. More rainy, but ultimately frontloaded and warmer, weather will not carry it through the summer months.

I'd be interested to see how much less snow California is estimated to get due to climate change, rather than the measly "12% more rainfall" it's to receive.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Precisely this. California needs its snowpack to get it through dry months. More rainy, but ultimately frontloaded and warmer, weather will not carry it through the summer months.

I'd be interested to see how much less snow California is estimated to get due to climate change, rather than the measly "12% more rainfall" it's to receive.
    Last winter, the snowpack in the Sierra was at 100% above normal in January, 2019. Big Bear was open all the way through July 4. Although the snow was pretty slushy and not great for skiing. People went up there mostly for the novelty of having snow on July 4.

As of December 2 of this year, the entire state (Northern/Central/Southern Sierra and Trinity) is at 88% of normal.

Here is the daily reservoir storage readings as of December 3.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/reportapp/javareports?name=res
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-12-05 at 07:41 AM.

Its called El Nino. Look it up. And if california gets more rain then thata good for us. We need it. Thank you climate change.

Awesome, does this mean some of the cities will steal less water from farmers? Well that's one positive thing about climate change lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Its called El Nino. Look it up. And if california gets more rain then thata good for us. We need it. Thank you climate change.
    Ah yeah I forget about El Niño, it did run the last 2 years didn't it?

BTW, California GW is also rebounding. Here is the USGS site for GW data for California.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/gw/

Here is historical data for a well located in Fresno County in Central Valley generated from using the webtools available at the site above. FYI, we have a 700-foot well drilled into fractured granitic bedrock. The water level in the well has risen by more than 50 feet since 2016.

Here is a view of the hills around our house from the driveway from November 30. The house is at about elevation +4,200, so the snow was down to elevation +4,500 there about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Awesome, does this mean some of the cities will steal less water from farmers? Well that's one positive thing about climate change lol

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yeah I forget about El Niño, it did run the last 2 years didn't it?
    Three so far. If this rainy season continues the way it is going, that would make four. That was exactly the conclusion of the 2017 study - in the next 100 years California will be looking at a much higher frequency of El Niño like events than the last 20 years. The model used in the study predicts that El Niño will be the norm in California.

Here is Mammoth on July 4, 2019.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-12-05 at 08:08 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    We'll adapt to the 10% increased precipitation. Snow is nice but it's not reliable so ultimately we'll want to find more reliable alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Last winter, the snowpack in the Sierra was at 100% above normal in January, 2019. Big Bear was open all the way through July 4. Although the snow was pretty slushy and not great for skiing. People went up there mostly for the novelty of having snow on July 4.

As of December 2 of this year, the entire state (Northern/Central/Southern Sierra and Trinity) is at 88% of normal.

Here is the daily reservoir storage readings as of December 3.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/reportapp/javareports?name=res
    And before that, the state went through several years of drought. The unreliability of enough snow pack will be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Um, what? The vast majority of water in the state is from the northern part(Sacramento and north) while most of the farmers are south of Sacramento. No one is "stealing" the farmer's water since it wasn't their water to begin with.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not really a good thing. Others have already pointed out that snowpack is big for getting what is otherwise a desert through the bleak summers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    We'll adapt to the 10% increased precipitation. Snow is nice but it's not reliable so ultimately we'll want to find more reliable alternatives.
    alternatives to a previous seasonally-replenished block of ice on top of a mountain that predictably melts every Summer through Fall?

Collect and store hundreds of millions of gallons of rain water?
    Last edited by ohtlmtlm; 2019-12-06 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtlmtlm View Post
    alternatives to a previous seasonally-replenished block of ice on top of a mountain that predictably melts every Summer through Fall?
    Collect and store hundreds of billions of gallons of rain water?
    Now now, that's the way he always is...says all kinds of shit without any facts, ideas, planning...Just the same ""We'll figure it out...(someday) So everything will be all good."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtlmtlm View Post

Collect and store hundreds of millions of gallons of rain water?
    We'll do whatever it takes to grow more food and have more fresh water. Even if that means desalination or improving the reservoir system. Where there's a will there's a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Now now, that's the way he always is...says all kinds of shit without any facts, ideas, planning...Just the same ""We'll figure it out...(someday) So everything will be all good."
    I can't guarantee that we'll solve our problems, but yeah I'm pretty optimistic that these issues are solveable given the right infrastructure and scientific knowledge.

Yeah, but you never show any scientific knowledge. Just a sad belief that borders on the religious.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is your response to everything. "we'll find alternatives and be ok. no need to worry."

- - - Updated - - -

We'll do whatever it takes to grow more food and have more fresh water. Even if that means desalination or improving the reservoir system. Where there's a will there's a way.

I can't guarantee that we'll solve our problems, but yeah I'm pretty optimistic that these issues are solveable given the right infrastructure and scientific knowledge.
    basically making excuses for not doing anything about it in the present.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

That's him.
    "Now" doesn't exist. It's always "later."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Um, what? The vast majority of water in the state is from the northern part(Sacramento and north) while most of the farmers are south of Sacramento. No one is "stealing" the farmer's water since it wasn't their water to begin with.
    Actually I think Zenkai is or at least was right. My cousin runs a shelling/hulling company and he said they were trying to go after the growers water during the drought. I think it was for walnuts or almond fields. Anyways it ended up being the case that they didn't have the legal right to take the water.

Farmers in california got fucked because of a stupid fucking little fish that no one cares about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Farmers in california got fucked because of a stupid fucking little fish that no one cares about.
    Right IIRC they have to have some minimum of water flow for the fish but a lot of that water ends up wasted or going to the ocean.