Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    38,569
    When it comes to family especially my mom FUCK NO I wouldn't press charges, just like stores that have an automatic press charges policy, I think it's stupid and thoughtless. If someone I loved who was family did that I would try to get them help.

    THAT SAID, my circumstance isn't everyone's, not everyone is close just because they are family and if you exhausted all other methods then exercise your rights.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    When my fiance & I started looking for a place to move into on our own (we previously have rented rooms from people) we discovered his mother took out several credit cards in his name totaling several thousand dollars and a electric bill in my name with over $3200 in collections now. We had to file a report with the local police department to press charges against her and I'm having to take her to small claims court since PG&E told me their internal fraud department could take 60-90 days just to complete their investigation and it would take another 60+ days to remove it off my credit reports if/when it is proven fraud. This was one of the most difficult things my fiance has had to do and when he told his mother she either needed to pay them off immediately or he would be forced to do what the credit card companies said THEY needed (the identity theft charges filed) she started guilt tripping him and told him how "I always have loved you" and "would you really want to put your mom in jail" and "if I go to jail your sister and grandpa have nobody to look after them. It really got me wondering, have any of you guys had to press charges against and/or sue a family member?
    I have not, but my parent has had to. A relative rented an apartment and needed two people to guarantee/pay the deposit. When said relative skipped out after failing to pay rent from the apartment for several months, the guarantors initiated criminal proceedings.

    I'm being vague so as to not be TOO obvious on who I mean, but if someone knows who I am, they will also know who I talk about.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    People who steal from their family members are god damn degenerates.
    It's a general lack of morals. If some people have lived most of their lives being sponsored by a relative, they grow up thinking anything that is their sponsors´, is also theirs.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

  3. #23
    The Unstoppable Force Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21,614
    Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    It's a general lack of morals. If some people have lived most of their lives being sponsored by a relative, they grow up thinking anything that is their sponsors´, is also theirs.
    I've lived most of my life being sponsored, yet I think nothing like that. I would never ever steal a dime from my relatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    When my fiance & I started looking for a place to move into on our own (we previously have rented rooms from people) we discovered his mother took out several credit cards in his name totaling several thousand dollars and a electric bill in my name with over $3200 in collections now. We had to file a report with the local police department to press charges against her and I'm having to take her to small claims court since PG&E told me their internal fraud department could take 60-90 days just to complete their investigation and it would take another 60+ days to remove it off my credit reports if/when it is proven fraud. This was one of the most difficult things my fiance has had to do and when he told his mother she either needed to pay them off immediately or he would be forced to do what the credit card companies said THEY needed (the identity theft charges filed) she started guilt tripping him and told him how "I always have loved you" and "would you really want to put your mom in jail" and "if I go to jail your sister and grandpa have nobody to look after them. It really got me wondering, have any of you guys had to press charges against and/or sue a family member?
    A relative can take credit cards in your name without even having you present nor even your ID in the US?

    What fucking backwards system is that?

  5. #25
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    11,718
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    She didn't steal money from us directly but took out credit in his name and my name too. Yes she is very much a manipulative cunt. Part of her whole guilt trip was telling him "oh I know he's turned you against the family and this is why you're doing it". I think I & my fiance said it very nicely to her about the whole situation when I finally got sick of hearing from her and from her via my fiance about how she feels about everything going on (she told him she wasn't talking to me because I'm "rude and disrespectful and threatening" when I said we're having to go to the police to file reports:

    HIM:
    "Bobby (that's me) did force me to go to family stuff because I didn't want to be there with you guys. Bobby is not turning me against the family. You were actually the one that did that. Bobby isn't forcing me to go to the police to report the fraud. I am choosing to do that. You can send me pictures of the same damn things he has seen online for places but that doesn't show you care or are helping. He's called every place you've sent me already and every one of the automatic deny you if you have a utility bill on your credit report. You can't remove it from your credit report until it is paid off in full. You can't make monthly payments and have it removed. You are to blame for the situation we're in because you haven't even made a single payment on anything in his name or my name since a year and a half ago. It's great you care about grandpa and Deja (his sister who's 13 & lives with his mom) but they're not going to be homeless because you care about them not me."

    ME:
    "I'm well aware of what I've posted. I'm also well aware that you have been trying to guilt trip Jordan in private messages because he's finally standing up for himself when it comes to how you treat him. I'm also well aware that you've told him how I have turned him against you. Truth of the matter is you should be thanking me for all the times I literally forced him to attend family functions because he didn't want to see you. After us repeatedly being denied housing because YOU owe over $3200 to PG&E in my name I gave up on forcing him to continue to have a relationship with someone as toxic as you are to his wellbeing. You don't care for him. You didn't even care for him growing up. You pawned him off on your family to raise instead of stepping up as a mother and taking care of him yourself. You even said yourself numerous times how it was your parents who raised him.

    I said it a few days ago and I'll say it again now. I'd suggest you and Martin going to take car title loans out on your cars to pay the $3200 you owe to PG&E. You have nearly $10,000 in credit card debt you illegally took out in your son's name by committing identity theft. All I know is we will be going down to the Fresno police station on Tuesday if we aren't given the money owed for PG&E. There is a paper trail a mile long linking you to identity theft in his name."
    You're correct, it's not stealing.. It's worse than stealing.
    And even if, *IF*, she pays.. Still go to the police. What's better? Having a clean record, or having proof you never fucked up to begin with?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    When it comes to family especially my mom FUCK NO I wouldn't press charges, just like stores that have an automatic press charges policy, I think it's stupid and thoughtless. If someone I loved who was family did that I would try to get them help.

    THAT SAID, my circumstance isn't everyone's, not everyone is close just because they are family and if you exhausted all other methods then exercise your rights.
    I think it's pretty clear that in OPs case it's not a loved one who is family, just a blood relation

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I've lived most of my life being sponsored, yet I think nothing like that. I would never ever steal a dime from my relatives.
    Good for you. You are obviously not one of my relatives.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

  7. #27
    Tough call to make.
    I remember when my bro was getting back on his feet, I gave him one of my credit cards.
    Biggest mistake ever.
    After a chat..."How the hell could you be my twin bro and not understand how credit works?"
    (Destroyed my own card) Never again.

    Had he continued I wouldn't have had much choice but to talk to a lawyer.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  8. #28
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    The general rule is that free legal advice is worth what you paid for it. Medical advice threads are banned for a reason and legal advice threads are equally dangerous. Go see a lawyer, you should be able to get a consultation free.
    Care to point out where I was asking for legal advice? I was simply sharing some events that has happened to me & my fiance and asked the readers of this forum if they have ever had to press charges against or sue a family member. Kind of like comparing war stories type of thing. Sheash you're way too tight assed most of the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello Trumpi View Post
    A relative can take credit cards in your name without even having you present nor even your ID in the US?

    What fucking backwards system is that?
    The first credit was when she went to Vegas to visit her brother & sister-in-law and applied for this thing called Care Credit. Care Credit lets you use their card for medical or dental and some times automotive transactions. She applied for it under his name, put herself as an "authorized user", and then proceeded to get $1200 in dental work done once he got approved. Everything else she applied for online with various companies and was issued credit in his name where she was also listed as an autorized user. Not one of them required proof it was him applying for it. In fact, THAT is what I brought to the attention of Victoria's Secret & Walmart when I talked to them. I told them, where's the proof he signed up for it? What's the email address that was used (it was hers which has her name in it)? What are the names of cards used to make payments on these accounts? (all of them were her prepaid AmEx card she has to use to get her paycheck deposited onto). Hopefully soon these companies finish their internal investigations and clear it off his record.

    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You're correct, it's not stealing.. It's worse than stealing.
    And even if, *IF*, she pays.. Still go to the police. What's better? Having a clean record, or having proof you never fucked up to begin with?

    - - - Updated - - -



    I think it's pretty clear that in OPs case it's not a loved one who is family, just a blood relation
    2 things, first is his credit score went from 650 before she pulled all these credit cards out in his name (we know this because WE opened a credit card in his name to establish his credit with me making the payments until his mom intercepted the mail & took the card because we were "financially irresponsible and wouldn't make the payments and destroy his credit" (oh the irony in the fact I paid her directly for that one card but SHE stopped making the payments after the second month I gave her money). His credit score right now with all this bullshit is under 425 because he's got over $10k in collections on his credit report. Second thing is this was my fiance's blood mother and he's decided to sever all ties with his family except 2 sets of aunts & uncles which have also been fucked over by this woman.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    The general rule is that free legal advice is worth what you paid for it. Medical advice threads are banned for a reason and legal advice threads are equally dangerous. Go see a lawyer, you should be able to get a consultation free.
    I don't think it's a legal question though; it's more about how you deal with the family drama and the emotional damage of being forced to sue your own family.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  10. #30
    Legendary! callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,943
    You're on the right track: asking for legal advice on a gaming forum. Good for you. I'm sure this will be resolved in your favor in no time at all.

  11. #31
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    You're on the right track: asking for legal advice on a gaming forum. Good for you. I'm sure this will be resolved in your favor in no time at all.
    I'll ask you the same thing I asked @bungeebungee, where exactly did I ask for legal advice in any of my posts in this thread? Seeing how we've already pressed charges, investigations are being taken by both the police department and various credit cards in question, and she's been served with small claims papers....I don't see where "advice" could be given....

  12. #32
    Legendary! callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,943
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I'll ask you the same thing I asked @bungeebungee, where exactly did I ask for legal advice in any of my posts in this thread? Seeing how we've already pressed charges, investigations are being taken by both the police department and various credit cards in question, and she's been served with small claims papers....I don't see where "advice" could be given....
    Looking back, not sure why the hell I responded to this blog post. Forget I said anything. You're all good.... asking for advice on this topic on a gaming forum.

  13. #33
    I am Murloc! shadowmouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dongbei, PRC ... for now
    Posts
    5,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    I don't think it's a legal question though; it's more about how you deal with the family drama and the emotional damage of being forced to sue your own family.
    I'm retired, so I'm not going to go into details, but however it is intended -- OP is discussing what could easily turn into a pile of ongoing legal problems online. Relatives would presumably know his habits.

    I can't speak for other attorneys (and I am not practicing nor was I licensed in his state) but a basic checklist question is finding out who else may have heard the story. That gets fed into discovery requests. Are we likely to get caught up in this little drama? Probably not, but I'd rather not find out and it would have been wiser for OP to consult with his lawyers instead of creating a record here. With that, I'll be bowing out of the thread.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

    Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

  14. #34
    The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    24,544
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Looking back, not sure why the hell I responded to this blog post. Forget I said anything. You're all good.... asking for advice on this topic on a gaming forum.
    the entire point of a off topic forum seems to be lost on you. he wasn't asking for legal advice he was asking for people to share their experiences with having to deal with family members that put them in similar circumstances. but of course if you had bothered to read the question at the end of the paragraph you would have realized this.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-12-04 at 10:04 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  15. #35
    I would confront the personally first to make sure their thieving/fraud is intentional and what they are willing to do to make it right. If they refuse to cooperate, to court we go.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  16. #36
    Scarab Lord Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    4,370
    I don't really trust my family, and that lack of trust has so far prevented the situation from arising. There has been that sort of drama between others of my siblings though.

    I do help my family out, but I have very strict self-imposed rules about any money changing hands. I gave my little sister my truck after her vehicle broke down, but it was handed over with the title free and clear, no money involved and no obligations to repay anything. One of my other siblings sold a vehicle to another at a heavily discounted rate, and the vehicle died after like two months and caused a huge amount of drama. So I gave it as a gift just to avoid the drama.

    If a situation arose where a family member straight up stole something of mine, like in the OP, I would press charges if it was necessary to control the damage to my credit rating and such, but I wouldn't do it out of spite if the damage had been done. Like if they took my car and crashed it, my insurance would cover the charges, I wouldn't press charges for theft, but I also would probably cut that family member off forever. But if they commit credit card fraud I would have to press charges to recover my credit score.

    So it is very case by case, and it all depends on the relationship you have with your family, and the minimum relationship you want to maintain. For me personally, I want to remain friendly with my family, but not particularly close. So we get along well enough when I talk to them or see them, but I don't want to be involved in their drama. If they hurt me or my loved ones, I simply won't bother with them any more. But this is all because I have a rather toxic family, it is obviously going to be different for other people.
    "I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling ANTIFA!" - Adolf Hitler
    "I really wish Ghostpanther would stop misquoting me" - Abraham Lincoln

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •