Poll: Should WoW take a Darker direction?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Should WoW take a Darker direction?

saw this WC3 cinematic and made me think of how the various Warcraft moods used to be....

what are your thoughts?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes please!

i am not sure it must be „daaarker“ pre se. i like tropical islands in wow but less cute and more mature. definetelly. more diablo like, more fantasy like, more old warcraft like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go visit the Upside-Down Sinners in classic, boot up Retail, and go chill in a Pandaren tavern, and then tell me this game doesn't cater to both ends of the grimdark-whimsy spectrum.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    This game needs more genocide.

Unsure - I like darker tones at times, but I don't think that's in Christie Golden's wheelhouse.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, WoW since Classic has a nice balance of fun things and dark stuff. It works, it should continue like that.

According to Warcraft's RPG book, Teldrassil has a population of 24,000, I believe that from that number at least 50% died burned in agony, WoW did not lose its dark side.

nothing has changed from WC3 though... you just found a single cinematic... WC3 was full of funny/silly lines, there were pandaren and tinkers, humorous quotes from all heroes (even undead) and silly moments even in epic campaigns, the warcraft universe was always like this: a dance between epic/dramatic/dark moments to a release of pressure with cartoonish/comical elements and back again

just another case of people remember things selectively...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    saw this WC3 cinematic and made me think of how the various Warcraft moods used to be....

what are your thoughts?
    Yes, it should. It should never haved strayed from these darker moods towards childishness there is now with Vulpera stuff all over one of the zones, Vulpine Familiar, those owlguys from the Shadowlands zone etc.

Quote Originally Posted by liberaet View Post
    Yes, it should. It should never haved strayed from these darker moods towards childishness there is now with Vulpera stuff all over one of the zones, Vulpine Familiar, those owlguys from the Shadowlands zone etc.
    Sylvanas burned thousands to death including children. Not sure how that come of as childish.

I would think Sylvanas forcinga night elf ot watch as she slaughters her family and friends in a blazing inferno would be dark enough, or Gul'dan torturing Grom with not just pain, but also the knowledge that despite his lofty ambitions of seeing his people free from tyranny, he will now watch as his people abandon him for the very power he once rejected.

Just because WoW has a cartoony artstyle does not mean it can't be dark. It just chooses to alternate between dark and whimsical every so often.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by liberaet View Post
    I know, right? They've even got fluffy cow people, the hell? Cows aren't scary!

There is plenty of dark stuff in WoW honestly.

Kil'Jaeden kidnapping and torturing Velens son in a twisted revenge scheme intended to get as much grief from him as possible.
    Bwonsamdi binding the Zandalar royal bloodline to him for all time.
    Several questline in Drustvar dealing with people being killed and put into constructs. Not to mention the one with the little girl who killed her village.
    Child laborers on Ashvanes factories.
    Azshara transforming Ashvane into a monster for her own bitter amusement.
    Sylvanas unleashing the scourge on the world, potentially killing tens of thousands.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW has never been a dark game. It's had dark moments, people die, and there are some very dark images, but its always been very colourful fantasy, not dark fantasy. In fact of all the games (before Overwatch came along), WoW was probably the more light hearted silly and fun game, I found Diablo and Starcraft more adult in tone.

I like warcraft being the tone it is. It's apart of it's charm, to take that away makes it not warcraft. Warcraft has always been the best part of a Saturday morning cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

what are your thoughts?
    For starters that's rose tinted glasses, if you were over the age of 18 when Warcraft 3 came out like I was, you'd know Warcraft 3 was never 'dark' and that cinematic (while awesome), is cheesy, the dialogue is great but its very action movie one liner "What are you doing my son" , "Succeeding you father", that last quote sounds like something straight out of an Arnold Schwarzenegger action flick.

This delusion people have thinking Warcraft 3 was a great serious dark masterpiece is starting to annoy me. It's a great game don;t get me wrong, its one of my favourite games of all time, but I am not tied down to this crazy notion that the game was once some really dark and edgy game. It really isnt. lol
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-12-03 at 12:36 PM.

It’s why I am still team sylvanas. I want my horde to be more wc2 horde and less Woodstock wc3 hippy horde

I want full on death and destruction. Wc2 remains the darkest of the series and by far the best of their rts

Shame they don’t pull from wc2 themes more and instead use wc3 weak themes that keep the ally and horde playing footsie

I really liked Drustvar and Nazmir. They're both sort of dark and spooky, with a lot of death and mystery hanging around them. They both have moments of "oh god no". That being said, not sure how it would feel if we had an entire expansion with areas like that.

The moment for going that way was during Wrath and Legion I think. Would be the best moments at least.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    I know, right? They've even got fluffy cow people, the hell? Cows aren't scary!
    Minotaurs. They're supposed to be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    It’s why I am still team sylvanas. I want my horde to be more wc2 horde and less Woodstock wc3 hippy horde

I want full on death and destruction. Wc2 remains the darkest of the series and by far the best of their rts

Shame they don’t pull from wc2 themes more and instead use wc3 weak themes that keep the ally and horde playing footsie
    Didn't like Warcraft 3 orcs as well. In fact I didn't like most of the stages in warcraft 3, my favorite is still the second and the first one. How I missed building walls in warcraft 2, such bs they took that out (one with the map editor we could make them). My main problem with Warcraft 2 was the naval battles and the adition to gunpowder (cannon towers and ship cannons felt out of place to me).
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.