Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    RE3R is an entertaining game on its own. It is a downgrade from RE2 on a technical aspect. And it is not very faithful at all as a remake... is what I'd like to say but after what FF7R did I think I'll take RE3R.

Overall while it is a good game I don't think it will be able to get out of 2's shadow, and with good reason. But I guess that's just history repeating itself. It's a 7/10 for me.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm about two hours in as I just met Kendo and it's okay. RE3 was more action-oriented than the previous two titles but I feel they've gone a bit too far with it and the similarities between both title are few and far between. While it has the same locations and characters the story itself is out of order which creates this weird pacing and the creative liberties make this more of a hard re-imagining than a soft remake especially when you look at how RE1R/RE2R were done. I really, really hate how they went about introducing Nemesis though.

It's nice seeing Raccoon City from the ground floor but when I saw the game clocked in at ~20GB I was pretty surprised so I am gearing up for a very quick game which I worry has little to no replay value since Mercenaries and even the epilogues are stripped out.

I have a feeling that if Resistance wasn't bundled in then this would have made more sense as a $30USD game or maybe even as an expansion pack to RE2R.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-04-03 at 05:52 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I beat the game last night, and for me it was definitely a step towards a more RE5 actiony type of resident evil. For what it was (this is if you're willing to accept another more action oriented RE) id give it a 8-9/10. THere is one section of the game i found brutally difficult (on standard difficulty) that I think was made more difficult by the dynamic difficulty adjuster, I had basically beating ass the whole game and it probably maxed out the difficulty shit with some enemies that were a particularly brutal combination that made for a nightmarish and brutally unfun experience near the end of the game. Other than that it was a blast the whole way through though and very enjoyable minus the one real shitty part.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I'm about two hours in as I just met Kendo and it's okay. RE3 was more action-oriented than the previous two titles but I feel they've gone a bit too far with it and the similarities between both title are few and far between. While it has the same locations and characters the story itself is out of order which creates this weird pacing and the creative liberties make this more of a hard re-imagining than a soft remake especially when you look at how RE1R/RE2R were done. I really, really hate how they went about introducing Nemesis though.

It's nice seeing Raccoon City from the ground floor but when I saw the game clocked in at ~20GB I was pretty surprised so I am gearing up for a very quick game which I worry has little to no replay value since Mercenaries and even the epilogues are stripped out.

I have a feeling that if Resistance wasn't bundled in then this would have made more sense as a $30USD game or maybe even as an expansion pack to RE2R.
    I mean, RE2 remake was about the same length and cost 60, so it's about equal..... RE games are meant for replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I mean, RE2 remake was about the same length and cost 60, so it's about equal..... RE games are meant for replay.
    yeah but you also had the A/B routes, two characters and the 4th survivor mode.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    A/B route was a total of 4-6 hours together, and lets be honest here, the only changes were to the RPD. 4th survivor was fun, but extremely short, the mulitplayer for this honestly feels a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    The B routes were basically the A route in the RE2 remake with extremely minor differences. (Starting back door, Mr X extra 30s, an extra zombie in the sewer). If the reports on the higher difficulty levels are true they'd be more different than the B routes in RE2R

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Which I don't feel RE3R has especially when compared to the original. RE3 was never a long game but it made up for it by giving players a reason to play through it again for additional rewards, choices, a slightly different ending as well as a side-game with Mercenaries. RE2R even more so where it has two campaigns/scenarios, different endings, unlockables and additional side-games although without Mercenaries. RE2R just feels more like a $60 game.

I mean, yes, the scenarios in RE2R were subtly different especially compared to RE2 but I am willing to bet most replayed the game several times especially if you were in pursuit of S rank unlocks. Right off the bat that's four play throughs at least in order to see every nook and cranny out of the game.

To me though, as a fan, it's fine. It's still fun and with all the new chaotic scenery it doesn't feel like they blew it but I worry that this is going to be a more polarizing title than RE2R and I hope that doesn't sour the opportunity to move forward with additional remakes.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-04-03 at 08:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I beat it in 3:30 it was alright but nemesis felt pointless and the last boss was a huge letdown and the actual last boss was pointless. Hate the huge amount of content cut

Finished it in about just under 5 hours. Got every file, every item and killed everything i could and was swimming in handgun and shotgun ammo. So bullet point thoughts?

-Its a great resident evil game, but like the ps1 titles its not Resident Evil 2
    -Nemesis was wasted, modern games like The Evil Within 1 and 2 have done the same thing better. A grenade knocked him out, i grabbed the loot he drops and bugged out. The last 3 boss rights in particular were pretty lame and nemesis new intermediate form felt like a monster hunter knock off and i wouldnt be surprised if there was some shared animation/skeletal stuff imported from world for him
    -Game still scratches that itch now and then like the original. The ending credits theme, revisiting the RPD and having to deal with zombie cops and lickers again was nostalgic a year later just like the originals.
    -Game doesn't really feel like a game set in the 1990's as much as 2 did and 2 didn't hit those notes much but when it did it reminded you this was meant to be 1998 beyond just the year
    -The Hunter gammas are piss easy and the only good new monster at that
    -The rest don't feel as good as the rest and feel tacked on
    -The cutscenes were great and the mocap, voice acting and so on was good, but you never get those "you dont make my mistake rookie, you do not hesitate" moments.
    -More music but even with the volume set to full i could barely hear it a lot of the time
    -The game feels blazing fast largely because each location you spend like 20-40 minutes in. You get to the sewers and fight 3 hunter gammas and open 3 locked doors and you are done for example
    -Visually its gorgeous and no surprise there. The RE engine is without a doubt the best survival horror visuals this generation and probably most of next
    -Interesting minor story changes that could be setting up retcons for future games

Overall it sucks to dunk on it because in a vaccum this is a fine survivor horror game. Its no RE2, Dead Space 2 or Silent Hill 2. All the twos when it escalates i guess. BUT its still on the better end of the Resident Evil spectrum. But whereas 2 is unquestionably a better version of its original -though in some respects i still prefer the original for its look and tone- 3make doesn't feel like it replaces the original. Its a nice alternative piece but if you ask me as a RE diehard which would i replay again sooner? probably the PS1 game. All the things cut like the Clock Tower, the Cemetary, the Park, bosses like the Gravedigger and the Nemesis originally ending on that super pathetic "its barely held together but will never stop coming" catharsis where the table turns and you become the unstoppable nemesis to it? none of thats here. It just feels like Half Life Episodes do to Half Life 2 rather than The Evil Within 2 does to The Evil Within if that wierd analogy makes sense.

Would i recommend it? yeah. But if someone hasn't played either would i recommend this or two? then its two no question. I still like this but Resident Evil 2 is Resident Evil 2. A goty in a year of amazing games. I don't think this will be anyones goty even in a slow year of remakes and ports as the generation winds down.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I don't think this will be anyones goty even in a slow year of remakes and ports as the generation winds down.
    I don't think even if it was RE2 that came out this year it would sniff most people's GOTY. Not in a year that will have had FFVIIR, P5R, ACNH, Cyberpunk, TLOU2, GoT, Tales of Arise, Xenoblade remake, maybe even a high profile Mario remake or BoTW2 could even make the year. The final year of a gen is almost always the most stacked year and that won't change this year unless corona delays everything to 2021(TLOU2 for example is basically done but delayed until they can make physical copies). 2013 was also stacked.

This remake could of definitely of been better but pretty much spot on that it was always going to stay inferior to RE2, just like the originals.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-04-03 at 10:27 PM.

You know whats interesting? I've loaded up REmake 2 just to see and i actually think it feels better. Like Leon moves more loosely, probably because theres no active dodge, and i swear on base ps4 the lighting and weather effects are better. You can definitely tell in retrospect 3 has had a smaller budget, or just a lot more assetts to produce at the cost of detail.

On my second playthrough, great game I have to say. 8.5/10 for me. Not seeing a lot of negative about it from the main streamers either, just that they wish S+ was in, but that doesn't bother me.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What difficulty were some of you playing on? Standard is actually incredibly easy compared to Hardcore, where most Nemesis attacks will two shot you in that difficulty. The game took me 8 1/2 hours to beat (real time, not game time) on Hardcore with my first play through, with the game time being just a tad over 5 hours. Game time doesn't account for reloads nor does it count for any cut-scenes in the game (I see loads of people just citing their time post credits, which really isn't fair to the length of the game).

Short game for sure, but in reality, is it really that much shorter than RE2? If you're comparing the originals sure, but lets be honest, the difference between A and B scenarios in the Remake is essentially zero, and the differences between Claire/Leon stories aren't that massive either. The actual run through of RE3 Remake felt longer than a single scenario of RE2, but when you add the story beats of the alternate character it comes out a decent amount ahead. I purposely don't count the second scenarios, because unlike the original it really doesn't change much aside from G5.

As far as movement goes I still feel that RE3 does it better. The reason people might think RE2 has better movement is because the areas aren't nearly as narrow and claustrophobic and there are certainly more zombies in RE3 comparatively. Dodges, let along perfect dodges are almost necessary, but keep in mind that we're also giving up defensive items in the process as well. So those instances were you do get grabbed in RE3 are far more punishing, whereas in the Remake of two you had knives and grenades as defensive options, with the option to go back and retrieve your knife if you wanted. I guess this ones pretty subjective. I like the movement in RE3, but I also missed the defensive items from 2, but honestly having both would completely change the game.

All that said I think RE2 Remake is better, but not by a lot. Had this game had the clock tower and had the transitional 'second form' of Nemesis before jumping to the 'final' form immediately, I might have thought a bit differently. Speaking from somebody who has played all of these games (both old and new), I'm really indifferent to them cutting monsters like crows and spiders, in addition to dumb bosses like the grave digger. The removal of the park and dead factory were positive changes in my opinion, because the NEST and expanded hospital sections were far better alternatives (again, IMO).

I guess different people have different opinions. Lack of clock tower kinda sucks, but it is what it is. Some people are of the opinion that remakes should be carbon copies with just upgraded graphics, while I'd rather my remake be pretty different (which I think this one certainly was). Personally found the changes to Nemesis far better than the original, and if I'm being honest, the cuts to RE2 Remake were far worse than the 'cuts' to RE3 Remake (because realistically, they just added different shit to make up for some of the cut stuff). The lack of a zapping system or meaningful second scenarios hurt RE2 more, but overall, RE2 and it's remakes are just better games period because it was ALWAYS better than RE3 to me. For RE3 to be better than RE2 it would have needed to go above and beyond what the original had, which would be quite impressive considering how good RE2 was at the time.

I think it's ignorant to claim that this game doesn't have much survival horror, and is more action oriented. The survival horror roots are still there, especially if you play on the harder difficulties. The action? RE3 was always more action oriented and that goes all the way back to the original installment in 1999 too. Hoards of zombies, explosive barrels and earlier more frequent access to things like grenade rounds to simply deal with them. Hospitals in the middle of the cities and the actual streets themselves just lend themselves to more zombies. Does it break the boundaries and throw it into a completely action focused game? Naw, but the action oriented nature of it is certainly intended. It's no where near RE4, RE5 or RE6 (especially 5 and 6). But it's certainly a jump up from 0, 1, 2 and 7 (especially 7, which is probably one of the slowest paced RE games in regards to action until the last what, 20% of the game?).

Look forward to Code Veronica if they do it. It's the 'last' entry that holds onto the survival horror roots and it's also the first RE game that's exceptionally long. I'm pretty excited for it because they showed with RE3 that they aren't afraid to restructure things, or change story beats, all of which would benefit Code Veronica more than any other entries.

10+ Year Old Account
    the cuts to RE2 Remake were far worse than the 'cuts' to RE3 Remake (because realistically, they just added different shit to make up for some of the cut stuff).
    An example of an issue I had is that the hospital felt like it was too long and didn't transition in to the final act very well because of how much was added and cut. In RE3 you transitioned to the dead factory starting at the clock tower, the hospital (as Carlos) then through the park at which point you went about your business whereas in RE3R they just scrapped most of it for another underground base which is transitioned in to by one locked door in a random hospital hallway.

Enjoying it. Though it may be just one of those things that bugs me, I notice that when Jill first gets her handgun, she also gets into the tactical gear like gloves and gun holster. Kinda bugs me she does it at that point. Think it'd be better saved for after meeting Carlos and Mikhail. Them giving her the gear makes more sense to me. But whatever.

The new Difficulties adds more variety than B scenarios in RE2 remake tbh.

I do wish for DLC for RE3 remake though. Hopefully they take the cut content criticism and add areas with more puzzles and such then it will be a 10/10 for me.

When does resistance release btw?

Any tips on Last boss nightmare? If I get hit by his slam it doesn't matter if I survive because I get stunlocked if he does quick slams instead of slow ones... or is it just, don't get hit or get lucky if I get hit?
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-04-05 at 01:06 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

So first few games in resistance and i really like it but strangely i like it for the exact opposite reasons i like Dead by Daylight. Which i guess is kind of a best case scenario rather than enjoying the same thing but sticking what i know i guess. Overall its a lot faster than i expect and feels like co-op mercenaries on one end and zombie master on the other and overall just feels a lot more polished than another lame cash in like Umbrella Corps. It wont be every RE fans cup of tea but if you like RE and stuff like DBD i really recommend trying it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    When does resistance release btw?
    Resistance came out the same time but its a totally seperate download.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Resistance came out the same time but its a totally seperate download.
    Yeah, derp moment from me. Tried looking for it and even search the store for it to download. Didn't check my games list... :/
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    An example of an issue I had is that the hospital felt like it was too long and didn't transition in to the final act very well because of how much was added and cut. In RE3 you transitioned to the dead factory starting at the clock tower, the hospital (as Carlos) then through the park at which point you went about your business whereas in RE3R they just scrapped most of it for another underground base which is transitioned in to by one locked door in a random hospital hallway.
    To each their own I guess?

Personally found the expanded hospital section amazing. Does it make up for the cut clock tower? In my opinion no. However to me it's a better alternative to the park and dead factory, the dead factory being one of the dumbest parts of the original. Considering Umbrella pretty much owns the town and paid off both the mayor and chief Irons logic would follow (at least in this universe), that a storage facility beneath the hospital, connected to another section of NEST isn't much of a stretch. In RE2 you literally have a labyrinth underneath of the police station that's connected to the sewers, that literally ties everything together with it's own interconnected transport system. The dead factory to me just felt lame by comparison, and the new NEST section just tied it together better.

Looking back my only real criticism of the game is the lack of the clock tower, which I think would have solved most peoples issues with the game. The clock tower (while not huge) would have offered a few puzzles and a couple more encounters with Nemesis (albeit a bit different than the original) where we would have seen him in his more humanoid form just a bit longer (his second form from the original is absent basically). I take no issue with the form we get in the court yard, but the game could've easily had us solve some puzzle in the clock tower to advance, presumably finishing Nemesis, only to exit into the court yard where the events that are currently in the game actually unfold.

RE games literally scream secret labs and the dead factory from the original just never really did it for me.