Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Then just fucking donate yourself.

Why you people insist on denying yourself a tax break in favor of giving a soulless company one is beyond me, especially when only a fraction of your money is actually going to the charity.

I'll never understand this type of stupidity in the human race.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's for a corporate tax break under the guise of charity.

That's why.
    Sounds like a personal problem im about to buy that and also that vulpine familiar mount for my future fox race for the horde!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    A pet that should've been a Voldunai rep reward.

FYI this is just Blizzard trying to garner goodwill with the community. They don't actually care about charity and are just doing this for a tax break.
    Cool as long as it keepd WoW going more pets in the ingame shop please!

15+ Year Old Account
    Charity with selfish motivation is still charity. Who cares if it's purely altrustic or not? It's still for a good cause.

I don't see anyone in this thread giving up their worldly possessions to help the less fortunate, so get off your high horse. If tax breaks and cuddly toys are what it takes to get people to give to charity, then by all means give them tax breaks and cuddly toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Charity with selfish motivation is still charity. Who cares if it's purely altrustic or not? It's still for a good cause.

I don't see anyone in this thread giving up their worldly possessions to help the less fortunate, so get off your high horse. If tax breaks and cuddly toys are what it takes to get people to give to charity, then by all means give them tax breaks and cuddly toys.
    I see it more as 3million dollars is going to help people vs zero dollars helps nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacster View Post
    I see what you did there.

It definitely does not help if you throw NO FACTS at them at all tho.
    I was referring to Felplague's history on these forums in general as well as the many posts she makes across topics where the usual suspects always show up, but if some of you want to be butthurt on a personal level, by all means.

As for the 3 million Cap, the fact is probably that they want to profit sooner rather than later from sales. Or they have decided that they don't need a tax cut bigger than that amount.

Capitalism! The illusions some cling to in terms of altruism or buddy status with x companies is hella cute though. Seeing it times 100 with fans of Rockstar games.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-12-04 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Then just fucking donate yourself.
    Why you people insist on denying yourself a tax break in favor of giving a soulless company one is beyond me, especially when only a fraction of your money is actually going to the charity.
    I'll never understand this type of stupidity in the human race.
    - - - Updated - - -
    No, it's for a corporate tax break under the guise of charity.
    That's why.
    I actually appreciate your post. Some people in here can't handle truth.

The "it's 100%, not a fraction" people crack me up.

"...maximum donation amount of USD $3 million from all sales of the Dottie in-game pet and plushie for charity."

So they're writing off $3 million and pocketing anything above that, which I have no doubt sales will exceed.

They aren't assholes for donating, they're assholes for turning even a donation to charity into something else to monetize and making people think they're contributing to a charity- not Activision's bottom line.

Not to mention how stingy a $3 million cap is. Didn't Twitch streamers alone raise more for St. Jude last year?
    Last edited by Didly; 2019-12-04 at 04:29 PM.

Another problem. I want to make a donation to Make A Wish and getting a Dottie pet for it means it's a win for a lot of people. However trhey have reached the cap. Are they going to tell people that? Are they going to inform a prospective customer 'We've reached the cap, so this money is now going into our pockets'? If they don't, I've just been stiffed out of making a charitable donation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    They aren't assholes for donating, they're assholes for turning even a donation to charity into something else to monetize and making people think they're contributing to a charity- not Activision's bottom line.
    But they do that every year. This year they just put a monetary cap as well for when it goes towards the "bottom line". 3 million is 3 million. It doesn't matter if twitch streamers raised more. It is still a large chunk of money that otherwise would not be going to these charities. People need to stop being greedy and dismiss a good thing simply because it doesn't meet whatever arbitrary rules they have set forth.

I mean when was the last time you donated 3 million?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Americans ,they allow bribery under the guise of lobbying

Also Americans q charity pet is the devil!!!!1

I have to laugh when people with no idea talk about tax issues. The only tax consideration they have to worry about is going over their maximum allowable deduction.

November 2009: Pandaren Monk - over $1.1 million (USD) for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
    December 2010: Moonkin Hatchling - over $800 thousand (USD) for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
    May 2011: Cenarion Hatchling - over $1.7 million (USD) for the American Red Cross's Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami relief efforts.
    October 2011: Server blade[9] - over $330 thousand (USD) for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
    November 2012: Cinder Kitten - over $2.3 million (USD) for the American Red Cross's Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.
    November 2013: Alterac Brandy - over $1 million (USD) for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
    December 2014: Argi - over $1.9 million (USD) for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
    December 2015: Brightpaw - over $1.7 million (USD) for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
    December 2016: Mischief - over $2.5 million (USD) for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.[20]
    September 2017: Shadow - over $1.8 million (USD) for the American Red Cross Disaster Relief.Due to recent disasters, Blizzard decided to start the charity early for this pet.
    November 2018: Whomper for Code.org
    December 2019: Dottie for Make-A-Wish Foundation and WE.org

They've never made 3 million before.. what are they lining their pockets with exactly?

well, I guess if pet was not for charity people would complain somewhat similar amount... what a bunch of sad sobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    I actually appreciate your post. Some people in here can't handle truth.

The "it's 100%, not a fraction" people crack me up.

"...maximum donation amount of USD $3 million from all sales of the Dottie in-game pet and plushie for charity."

So they're writing off $3 million and pocketing anything above that, which I have no doubt sales will exceed.

Not to mention how stingy a $3 million cap is. Didn't Twitch streamers alone raise more for St. Jude last year?
    1. they have never made 3 million from pet donations, highest was 2.5 mil, and that was just after legion launch, the highest "1 year later" was 1.8 mil, so this pet is not going to sell 1.2 mil more then the current highest.

2. they do this every year, plus many other donations of their own, including right out donations, bringing in make a wish people, and selling their own things in charity auctions, like the warcraft movie, where they sold almost all of the props for charity auctions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Another problem. I want to make a donation to Make A Wish and getting a Dottie pet for it means it's a win for a lot of people. However trhey have reached the cap. Are they going to tell people that? Are they going to inform a prospective customer 'We've reached the cap, so this money is now going into our pockets'? If they don't, I've just been stiffed out of making a charitable donation.
    dont know, nor will we, cause they will never reach the 3 million cap.

but if they did, im sure they would make that clear, so that we know that the "donation" is no longer a donation.

- - - Updated - - -

I see what you did there.

It definitely does not help if you throw NO FACTS at them at all tho.
    The highest pet ever sold made 2.5 mil, and that was mischeif, released shortlty after Legion's release.

I think it should be obvious but we are a year passed BFA's launch, so there is a lot less players.
    The highest "1 year later" pet was shadow, again legion, and instead 1.8 million.

Do you really think dotty is gunna sell 1.2 million more copies then the previous highest?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I was referring to Felplague's history on these forums in general as well as the many posts she makes across topics where the usual suspects always show up, but if some of you want to be butthurt on a personal level, by all means.

As for the 3 million Cap, the fact is probably that they want to profit sooner rather than later from sales. Or they have decided that they don't need a tax cut bigger than that amount.

Capitalism! The illusions some cling to in terms of altruism or buddy status with x companies is hella cute though. Seeing it times 100 with fans of Rockstar games.
    Look above^^^
    We will not hit, or even get close to 3 million, so its literally a non-issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, what is wrong with you? They will KEEP selling the pet for the same money after that charity stuff is over. So they will make money with it no matter what...definitely way more than they need to create this toon(it's not like it is their first pet...this is a staple).
    You do realize that the majority of money made with these things happens in the first 30 days or so. yes they do continue to sell but that is a much slower trickle of income, and even if it dose eventually pay for itself the opportunity cost per time invested is something you have to factor in as well. For example something that will just get you your money back in a year or so is always considered a HORRIBLE investment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Base cost blizzard put into actually making the pet? You mean one model that some talented person could finish probably in 1-2 evenings?
    Marketing? You mean this yt vid and blue post?
    Okay lets do a fairly normal workflow brake down.

1. Concept planing: This is probably the shortest chunk of time investment, lets say around 30min~ for 4-8 people during a Dev meetup. (3 Hours)

2. Concept art: 2-3 artists will draw 2-5 rough concepts (probably done in 30 min), once a rough direction is chosen, then more fine art is built around the rough design, (lets just use the same art team, fine concept art done in 1-2 Hours), this is then shown and minor tweeks are made (lets say another 30 min to finish, + 30 min of art lead time) (4 1/2 Hours)

3. Model construction: Probably a 1 person job done in about 2 days, with about an hour of Dev lead interaction. (17 Hours)

4. Texturing: Once again probably about a 2 day job for one artist with about the same dev interaction. (17 hours)

5. Model Rigging and animation: Probably done by two engineers at about a day a peace, usually some back work is created here where texturing, and construction are needed to fix some minor issues (lets say about 45-60 min each), + some lead time. (20 Hours)

6. Programming/Implementation/Bug fixing: a few jobs in here but nothing over an hour each I wouldn't think unless some major issues pops up (2 Hours)

7. Voice actor and sound design: probably around 1 Hour of takes from the actor + 1-2 sound devs, 1 audio editor for about 1 Hour. As for the ingame sounds probably done with 1 Hour of work overall. (5 Hours)

8. Marketing: This also has team planing (2 hours), filming (4-8 Hours), editing (1-2 Hours), Webdesign (1 1/2 Hours) + some other odds and ends (10 1/2 hours)

9. Actually setting up the whole thing with the charities: Believe it or not quite a bit of planning and logistics goes into this field, doubly so when large sums of money move around publicly. I would say at least 2 office staff at around 4-5 Hours each, 1-3 lawyers/legal consultants for 1-3 hours each, some of the CEO's time lets just say 1 Hour. (12 Hours + 1 of the CEO who is expensive)

With all of that (And I am very certain I missed some steps/Man hours), we have around 90 man hours of work baseline. that doesn't factor in Building costs, delays, major reworks, workload created from the after affects up this event, and many other small little things that do add up. It's not just a $1000 dollar sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Yes. They will totally not gain anything after they reach 3mil or december will end.
    They already making money since only 10$ from plushie is going for charity.
    They may make money on it afterwords but the majority of money made on these things is made within the first 30days, after that things tend to slow down considerably. Now for any company (especially publicly traded ones) there is this thing called an "opportunity cost" associated with anything they do. If it takes them a year of dribbling sales after the initial wave to just make their money back that would be considered a terrible investment of time and money for most companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    Okay lets do a fairly normal workflow brake down.

1. Concept planing: This is probably the shortest chunk of time investment, lets say around 30min~ for 4-8 people during a Dev meetup. (3 Hours)

2. Concept art: 2-3 artists will draw 2-5 rough concepts (probably done in 30 min), once a rough direction is chosen, then more fine art is built around the rough design, (lets just use the same art team, fine concept art done in 1-2 Hours), this is then shown and minor tweeks are made (lets say another 30 min to finish, + 30 min of art lead time) (4 1/2 Hours)

3. Model construction: Probably a 1 person job done in about 2 days, with about an hour of Dev lead interaction. (17 Hours)

4. Texturing: Once again probably about a 2 day job for one artist with about the same dev interaction. (17 hours)

5. Model Rigging and animation: Probably done by two engineers at about a day a peace, usually some back work is created here where texturing, and construction are needed to fix some minor issues (lets say about 45-60 min each), + some lead time. (20 Hours)

6. Programming/Implementation/Bug fixing: a few jobs in here but nothing over an hour each I wouldn't think unless some major issues pops up (2 Hours)

7. Voice actor and sound design: probably around 1 Hour of takes from the actor + 1-2 sound devs, 1 audio editor for about 1 Hour. As for the ingame sounds probably done with 1 Hour of work overall. (5 Hours)

8. Marketing: This also has team planing (2 hours), filming (4-8 Hours), editing (1-2 Hours), Webdesign (1 1/2 Hours) + some other odds and ends (10 1/2 hours)

9. Actually setting up the whole thing with the charities: Believe it or not quite a bit of planning and logistics goes into this field, doubly so when large sums of money move around publicly. I would say at least 2 office staff at around 4-5 Hours each, 1-3 lawyers/legal consultants for 1-3 hours each, some of the CEO's time lets just say 1 Hour. (12 Hours + 1 of the CEO who is expensive)

With all of that (And I am very certain I missed some steps/Man hours), we have around 90 man hours of work baseline. that doesn't factor in Building costs, delays, major reworks, workload created from the after affects up this event, and many other small little things that do add up. It's not just a $1000 dollar sink.
    You forgot about:

- Tea time (3hrs)
    - Toilet breaks (45min)
    - Checking phone messages (15min)

... but jokes aside...
    You totally overestimating it. I would agree for patch/new content vid not for 1min short with single new model with 1-2 animations.
    Almost half of it can be even made using simple modelviewer with greenscreen...