Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Indians having more trouble getting H-1B visas - Good for American workers

    https://finance.yahoo.com/m/ec3e9aa2...-the-h-1b.html

    Maybe this means that tech companies will have to up their pay and stop forcing american workers to train their replacements? Maybe the writer of this article should get a clue about what americans need instead of what corporations want.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-12-03 at 10:00 PM.

  2. #2
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    33,941
    First of all we accept only about 65k of those visas period for all fields and the field has a deficit of hundreds of thousands of jobs so the immigrants aren’t taking the jobs

    Want to blame someone? Blame hr for looking for only senior engineer experience so they can sack them with the pay and work for a junior.

    I think it was the creator of angular I’m not sure...

    But they made a joke and posted a picture of a job posting asking for seven years of experience when it wasn’t even public for that long yet and he was short four months of experience.
    Last edited by Themius; 2019-12-03 at 10:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,403
    It's almost criminal that governments think that foreign worker programs should be tolerated and accepted by the people. Frankly, they've done nothing but help depress wages across all industries and have continually been abused by companies for their own financial gain. As a Canadian, we have similar issues but they aren't as badly exploited. That said, there should be reforms to the laws to ensure that wages aren't being suppressed and workers aren't being exploited. I'd also like to see the foreign student system changed in my country so that they aren't eligible for permanent residency just for completing some bullshit one year program. Either way, it sounds more like there's a labour shortage issue that has to be filled with TFW's which also doesn't help.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2019-12-03 at 10:51 PM.

    Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

  4. #4
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    33,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's almost criminal that governments think that foreign worker programs should be tolerated and accepted by the people. Frankly, they've done nothing but help depress wages across all industries and have continually been abused by companies for their own financial gain. As a Canadian, we have similar issues but they aren't as badly exploited. That said, there should be reforms to the laws to ensure that wages aren't being suppressed and workers aren't being exploited. I'd also like to see the foreign student system changed in my country so that they aren't eligible for permanent residency just for completing some bullshit one year program. Either way, it sounds more like there's a labour shortage issue that has to be filled with TFW's which also doesn't help.
    You are talking about a few ten thousand people per year in industries that outpace that growth rate firstly and secondly have deficits and lack of employees

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You are talking about a few ten thousand people per year in industries that outpace that growth rate firstly and secondly have deficits and lack of employees
    It's easier for some people to blame immigrants instead of the unrealistic expectations some jobs have for entry level positions.

    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    https://finance.yahoo.com/m/ec3e9aa2...-the-h-1b.html

    Maybe this means that tech companies will have to up their pay and stop forcing american workers to train their replacements? Maybe the writer of this article should get a clue about what americans need instead of what corporations want.
    Good, seen it happen again and again first hand to some people, reminds me of the Disney lawsuit in 2014 (lost because it's legal) where the employee had to train their cheaper H-1B visa replacements.

    Guessing Trumps probably doing this good deed via his incompetence but I'll take it.

  7. #7
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    Good, seen it happen again and again first hand to some people, reminds me of the Disney lawsuit in 2014 (lost because it's legal) where the employee had to train their cheaper H-1B visa replacements.

    Guessing Trumps probably doing this good deed via his incompetence but I'll take it.
    Just an interesting statistic, but across the board studies I've seen suggest that H-1B workers actually average higher wages than Americans in similar roles.

    The biggest issues with the H-1B program is that there are companies that use it legitimately, and that's very beneficial to the US, and there are companies that abuse it which are not. What it needs is reform to make sure that it's only being used in the way it was intended, stricter checks on the US companies using it and what they're using it for, to clean it up.

    The problems with the H-1B come almost entirely from US company abuse, not from the workers that come in through the program.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Just an interesting statistic, but across the board studies I've seen suggest that H-1B workers actually average higher wages than Americans in similar roles.

    The biggest issues with the H-1B program is that there are companies that use it legitimately, and that's very beneficial to the US, and there are companies that abuse it which are not. What it needs is reform to make sure that it's only being used in the way it was intended, stricter checks on the US companies using it and what they're using it for, to clean it up.

    The problems with the H-1B come almost entirely from US company abuse, not from the workers that come in through the program.
    I would not have an issue if and when it was needed but I've seen it abused again and again. (needs a hell of a lot better checks put in place).

  9. #9
    This is the definition of stupid. Literally making it so high skill immigrants cant come to the US and contribute to its prosperity.

    Hopefully people from India can take their talent to a country that appreciates those skills
    Your problem is that you’re more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.

  10. #10
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    33,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    It's easier for some people to blame immigrants instead of the unrealistic expectations some jobs have for entry level positions.
    Job posting: 7 years of angular.

    Creator of angular: aw damn, I only have 6 years.

  11. #11
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    I would not have an issue if and when it was needed but I've seen it abused again and again. (needs a hell of a lot better checks put in place).
    The problem is that the US is absolutely terrified of pinning a company and the people making decisions in it to the wall for misdeeds. The risk vs reward for questionable behavior on this front is far too rewarding.

  12. #12
    I will remember this thread when people protest that they are quite for immigration, just legal one. Or that STEM diplomas are the real ones.

  13. #13
    Yeah they can fuck off. If they want a green card they should choose to marry for it like me

  14. #14
    Banned Saninicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Iron city of Dis
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    This is the definition of stupid. Literally making it so high skill immigrants cant come to the US and contribute to its prosperity.

    Hopefully people from India can take their talent to a country that appreciates those skills
    There's plenty of American workers that can take that place. H1-b visas should ONLY be used as a last resort.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    There's plenty of American workers that can take that place. H1-b visas should ONLY be used as a last resort.
    Exactly. They are only supposed to fill positions temporarily. They aren't meant to be a permanent immigration method. "Visas" not "Citizenship". Corporations are taking advantage of the visa system and replacing their american work force. I'm sure our country of over 300 million people has tons of people that are/can be trained for whatever role some Indian guy can do. We have many of the best universities in the world. How does it make sense that we can be short on people? Oh yeah. Because our universities take foreign students from China & Saudi Arabia that pay more money (and sponsored by their government to study here) and go back to work for their country. Make universities pay a foreign tax for whatever the amount they marginally made over the tuition of a US student to disincentivize loading up with foreign students.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-12-04 at 01:45 AM.

  16. #16
    So, once again Trump is fighting against freedom and capitalism.

    It's weird how many people have embraced national socialism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, once again Trump is fighting against freedom and capitalism.

    It's weird how many people have embraced national socialism.
    I bet the gamers on this forum that have become full national socialist dont understand its implications, look no further than hungary, you wont be playing video games most of your time youll be working 10-14 hours to make up for the worker shortage. I on the other hand like the fact that the government dosent force me to work and there is plenty of people to fill positions in crappy jobs i dont want to do.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I bet the gamers on this forum that have become full national socialist dont understand its implications, look no further than hungary, you wont be playing video games most of your time youll be working 10-14 hours to make up for the worker shortage. I on the other hand like the fact that the government dosent force me to work and there is plenty of people to fill positions in crappy jobs i dont want to do.
    I don't think they care, so long as they think they are sticking it to someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Exactly. They are only supposed to fill positions temporarily. They aren't meant to be a permanent immigration method. "Visas" not "Citizenship". Corporations are taking advantage of the visa system and replacing their american work force. I'm sure our country of over 300 million people has tons of people that are/can be trained for whatever role some Indian guy can do. We have many of the best universities in the world. How does it make sense that we can be short on people? Oh yeah. Because our universities take foreign students from China & Saudi Arabia that pay more money (and sponsored by their government to study here) and go back to work for their country. Make universities pay a foreign tax for whatever the amount they marginally made over the tuition of a US student to disincentivize loading up with foreign students.
    But what you are writing is pure fiction some of these are specialized fields with worker shortages to begin with, you don't magically train and certify someone in those fields. Last but not least can I say it is incredibly stupid to cheer at the US having less highly educated most entrepreneurial sought after immigrants. I mean globally they are the most desired immigrants I think people's hatred of immigrants are overriding their logic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    There's plenty of American workers that can take that place. H1-b visas should ONLY be used as a last resort.
    If there was the unemployment rate in those fields would not be below the already low average unemployment rate.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    But what you are writing is pure fiction some of these are specialized fields with worker shortages to begin with, you don't magically train and certify someone in those fields. Last but not least can I say it is incredibly stupid to cheer at the US having less highly educated most entrepreneurial sought after immigrants. I mean globally they are the most desired immigrants I think people's hatred of immigrants are overriding their logic.

    - - - Updated - - -



    If there was the unemployment rate in those fields would not be below the already low average unemployment rate.
    I was friends with a guy in college that was from Saudi Arabia. His tuition and room and board was paid for by his government in exchange for him promising to work for the government when he returns. I knew of tons of cases of this at my school I went to. Why are we allowing this?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •