Poll: Where do you stand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    Oh yeah, that's why poorer countries have less crime than sweden and countries richer than sweden have more crime. Because being poor makes people commit crime.

This angle that being poor causes crime is pretty much dead. I have no idea why people keep regurgitating it.
    Ok, so that is what you are saying, got it. Welp for your children's sake I do hope this never happens to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/42/4/1057/656274

What's that? Hmm. Looks like a blow to the mantra you and others like to repeat.

There's also this: https://www.kriminalvarden.se/global...ngsrapport.pdf

And this: https://www.bra.se/download/18.1ff47...bland_unga.pdf
    So, Swedish stuff, proves stuff isn't happening in the US? Thanks, you didn't disprove anything.

This idea of American exceptionalism really needs to die.
    No, I asked you to prove something, and you can't. You are trying to use Sweden as an example, a country that has pretty decent social safety nets to say that someone desperate that doesn't have any other option, won't resort to crime in the forms of theft or robbery to survive. They are ABSOLUTELY related. If you take away what little they have, they will do anything they can to survive, including selling drugs, stealing, or robbing people. Maybe even more.

If you can disprove it, go ahead and try.

I mean I'd means test it and then it'd basically be regular welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeHongKong View Post
    Stop giving poor people money, they can’t even handle there current money situation, why make it even worse
    LOL, I think the poor's current money situation is not having enough money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Yeah, you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.
    He is right about gender though, it is a far stronger predictor of the categories of violent crime he mentioned than wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I also made comparisons to South Korea, which largely lacks a social safety net and as such have far more people living in poverty but has far less crime than sweden. But that's too inconvenient to your "b-but American society".

American exceptionalism is just an idea, not real.

Do you know what the difference between these countries and usa is? Both sweden and South Korea have cultures that exercise strong social control and are high trust.
    Just going to chip in here because you're comparing to my country.

Some of the stats that people use for comparing are usually highly embellished. Take sex crimes, many don't even bother to report it here because Korean society is pretty misogynist. So, it looks good on paper because not many report them because it's futile and in some cases even outright harmful to you. This is quite misleading if you're trying to make comparisons because you only look at the reported crimes.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Just going to chip in here because you're comparing to my country.

Some of the stats that people use for comparing are usually highly embellished. Take sex crimes, many don't even bother to report it here because Korean society is pretty misogynist. So, it looks good on paper because not many report them because it's futile and in some cases even outright harmful to you. This is quite misleading if you're trying to make comparisons because you only look at the reported crimes.
    That is a really good point. And one which some miss when discussing self defense use of firearms. Which is another topic, but the same principle does apply.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I mean I'd means test it and then it'd basically be regular welfare.

LOL, I think the poor's current money situation is not having enough money.

- - - Updated - - -

He is right about gender though, it is a far stronger predictor of the categories of violent crime he mentioned than wealth.
    No it’s more poor lifestyle choices.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going go make the series of bad choices you have to make to end up so poor that you can't afford food.
    Poor people are only poor because of bad choices, stop that classism.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is a really good point. And one which some miss when discussing self defense use of firearms. Which is another topic, but the same principle does apply.
    And there's also an under reporting when it comes to the violent use and threatening to use firearms. But you only care about the one way don't you?
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Poor people are only poor because of bad choices, stop that classism.
    It's only classism when the rich are on the defensive.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Why would they starve to death? there's plenty of animals running around in the woods they can trap and eat.
    Do you not know what poaching is?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

hmm...going to jail does get you out of bad weather, and free food and medical.
    If desperate enough it looks to be an appealing option.

Turns out people are not buying the "1000 a month for every one, free money here!" and are not voting for Yang.
    I don't think most people believe where Yang will find the money for it.
    They probably know who will actually pay for it!

It's like those UK guys (labour) on last elections that were promising everything and still lost the election big time.
    Most people will simply not believe such blatant lies.... They probably know who will actually pay for it!
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Turns out people are not buying the "1000 a month for every one, free money here!" and are not voting for Yang.
    I don't think most people believe where Yang will find the money for it.
    They probably know who will actually pay for it!

It's like those UK guys (labour) on last elections that were promising everything and still lost the election big time.
    Most people will simply not believe such blatant lies.... They probably know who will actually pay for it!
    Everyone does.

The wealthy.

This has literally never been a secret; it's the entire point of the proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    How will it lower unemployment?

Incentivizing people to not work is not going to make them want to work harder.

I look forward to him providing evidence to back up all of his absurd claims.
    Every time this (ubi)has been tested that wasn’t the outcome so what are you basing that on? People didn’t stop working or feel they Didn’t need to

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Every time this (ubi)has been tested that wasn’t the outcome so what are you basing that on? People didn’t stop working or feel they Didn’t need to
    Well, I'm basing it off the fact that people were slower to go back to work when the unemployment benefits were extended during the great Recession. Then, when their benefits were about to run out, people were magically able to find work at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Well, I'm basing it off the fact that people were slower to go back to work when the unemployment benefits were extended during the great Recession. Then, when their benefits were about to run out, people were magically able to find work at the last minute.
    Okay well I rather you base it on actual ubi Pilot programs.

They saved money. Returned to school or paid down bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Okay well I rather you base it on actual ubi Pilot programs.

They saved money. Returned to school or paid down bills.
    And those pilot programs are small, and are given specifically to push people to work. "If you do this right, then we can try and do this for everyone..."

Meanwhile, it's trillions of dollars a year.

Bottom line, how much more money would it take for you to stop working, or to work less? I think we can agree that most people would stop working if they won the lottery, right? So, almost everyone has a number. Now, the only question is, what is that number?
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-01-15 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Everyone does.

The wealthy.

This has literally never been a secret; it's the entire point of the proposal.
    If people actually bought that, we would expect everyone to be voting for free money.
    But i don't think people believe that the wealthy will pay for it. Which is why they don't vote for him
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by FreeHongKong View Post
    No it’s more poor lifestyle choices.
    Okay, quantify that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.