Poll: Is your country willing to make hard choices?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is your country willing to make the hard choice?

The year is 2050. Your country is facing an unprecedented wave of climate refugees from Africa and Asia. Everyone knows that accommodating all of them would be completely unsustainable and would result in the same ruin for your country as befell their countries of origin. Yet human decency dictates that you let them in.

What does your country do? Does it prioritize human rights and values over its duty to its own citizens? Or does it reinforce its borders and turn the flood of refugees away?

As a bonus question:
    Everyone knew that this would happen. Yet India and China, as Putin noted, prioritized raw economic growth over sustainable development. Do people from those countries deserve a second chance even though they were some of the prime agents of manmade climate change?

I think climate-conscientious people should totally be let in. But it would require very strict vetting at the border and many bleeding-heart liberals would be uncomfortable with it. But the alternative is much, much worse.

not sure how you can predict the behaviour of a country for 30 years in the future. its just a guessing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Yet human decency dictates that you let them in.
    No, it doesn't.

What does your country do? Does it prioritize human rights and values over its duty to its own citizens? Or does it reinforce its borders and turn the flood of refugees away?
    Human rights are a western concept that is only able to exist because of the relative comfort people live in. You can be sure it will be dismissed in an instant when conflicts arise.

10+ Year Old Account
    So are you asking what our home country would, should, could do? Or what we the individual would, should, could do? You posed the question for the country but answered as what the individual would.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, in Frostpunk I took in the first wave of refugees, but refused the 2nd because I still had problems accommodating the first, and only took the healthy ones of the third.

...what does that tell about me?

What the scenario points out is that sooner or later we will have to resolve the difference between anyone and everyone. It is nice that anyone has a right to immigrate... but when everyone wants to, things get complicated.

Once the refugee flow will impact life of the country where they want to go to then ppl will start to hate them.
    If we know anything then it is that history will repeat itself.

War will come no matter what.
    It all depends what we are going to fight over, recources? living space?
    The hard fact is that we have to many ppl so either nature will kick in an kill alot of humans by sickness or we will have war to kill alot of the population to an more acceptable number.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    What the scenario points out is that sooner or later we will have to resolve the difference between anyone and everyone. It is nice that anyone has a right to immigrate... but when everyone wants to, things get complicated.
    I think it's more interesting to examine why people want to migrate somewhere else to begin with.

If a global system set up to make where people live a war zone and hell hole, why not spend money and resources on curbing that so maybe people don't want to move somewhere else as they have no opportunity or peace.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    A culling of human life, while tragic and painful, might be what this planet needs right now.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In a situation of dire scarcity that that sort of future presents; I doubt anyone is going to be able to indulge resettling an unlimited number of people. Or in that eventuality the cushy welfare states of North America, Europe ect. will have long since been evaporated. There won't be much of an appeal by the people of those countries to go to those countries as the wealth that makes them appealing will have vanished ages ago.

America itself isn't far from a great implosion and will need debt cancellations just to save itself from withering completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Rymr View Post
    A culling of human life, while tragic and painful, might be what this planet needs right now.
    Depends on the people you intend to cull, if you ask me.
    The ones responsible for delaying our response to the climate crisis? Go ahead.
    Random poor people that you personally feel are superfluous? Off yourself first, we'll decide later.

What about South/middle America and Australia?

As for the poll how can i know what a government wants as circumstances change. A change of government comes with a change of attitude most of the time...
    Last edited by TwistedSkull; 2019-12-04 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Depends on the people you intend to cull, if you ask me.
    The ones responsible for delaying our response to the climate crisis? Go ahead.
    Random poor people that you personally feel are superfluous? Off yourself first, we'll decide later.
    Best thing about idiots calling for a culling is that it's always guys who want to kill Africans and their kids. While themselves being first world citizens damaging our planet more than a whole village in the bush does. If ever the time comes humans get murdered to save the planet it's us white fuckers who'll get the axe first.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't stress out about it, it's purely speculation. It's just as plausible that conditions in 3rd world countries improve and northward migration actually goes down in the future.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Best thing about idiots calling for a culling is that it's always guys who want to kill Africans and their kids. While themselves being first world citizens damaging our planet more than a whole village in the bush does. If ever the time comes humans get murdered to save the planet it's us white fuckers who'll get the axe first.
    While I did not mention anything about who "deserves" a culling other than humans, you where quite quick to jump on the race wagon. What a sad pathetic excuse you are :P

For me the bigger cities around the world would be first natural targets, as we who live in rural or of the grid would manage better.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wait if they are leaving due to climate change how exactly is it there fault there country’s failed?

5+ Year Old Account
    Settle down and do not turn discussion into a debate over genocide and forbidden topics.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Rymr View Post
    Yeah, people often talk like that when they expect its other people that will be going on the chopping block

10+ Year Old Account
    would result in the same ruin for your country as befell their countries of origin.
    How exactly is taking in refugees going to cause my country to move 40+ degrees south? I'm not familiar with this refugee/plate tectonics theory.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

3+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I think by 2050 if the climate change isn’t addressed there will ALOT of dead and less refugees because of the stronger storms and weather events because of climate change.