Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so, with Data mining I can plan ahead on which char, spec, etc i'll be playing for the next expansion/raid, etc.
    Saves me a ton of time having to wait for the release and then figure out.

Data mining does nip away at some of the magic of expansions. Even if you avoid it you see it in game from day one. But at the same time it's not something you are going to stop at this point. It is part of the 6 month or so hype up machine the game creates for itself. All anyone can do is deal with it.

Blizzard themselves wants people to see their content early on ptr / beta to 1) test it for gamebreaking bugs 2) create hype and make publicity.

Some people like to be well informed, some like to go blind, you have a choice to read / test or skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel85NYC View Post
    With all the Data mining and Posting Spoilers on the site. Do you guys think it ruins the "Surprise element" to a new expansion?

In my opinion, Yes they do. I wished they could stop Data mining. And I wish Blizzard would do something about it. But this is my opinion.. What do you guys think? Does it ruin it for you too? Let's please be adults about this and lets be nice. Thank you!
    I dont hold WoW to the same standards as singleplayer Triple A games. To me spoilers in WoW dont exist as not knowing what is coming makes it harder to set your goals or priorities. This game takes alot of your time to play "Right" I dont think people really have the time anymore to discover everything without some form of direction or hints at whats available.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Since Cata I've followed every bit of datamining. It doesn't really ruin things for me because the stuff I see often lack in-game context. But it would be nice to just.. experience the content fresh for once.

Maybe I'll go into Shadowlands blind this time.
    - Dare not to sleep -

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't think it ruins anything. I prefer knowing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does spoil the game and any surprise element but it doesn't help either when Blizzard themselves will show you and tell you about what all is going to happen in the next expansion. So for me I don't mind reading into the leaks. Especially when the storytelling is as mild as you can get. WotLK was the last expansion to have decent storytelling. After that it just felt like Blizzard was just pulling shit out of their ass. They're even retconning established lore which totally ruins some of the books they've released (or so I've heard anyway).

So there's very few games where I don't care about it being spoiled but WoW is just one of those games where I would feel the same way about it regardless and that is mild. I mean don't get me wrong I don't hate the storytelling but I'm not saying it's great either. Definitely not worth keeping a secret about.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I do think that Datamining is a plague upon video games tbh.There's no such thing as the element of surprise anymore,since devs have no reason to hide anything anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    People do not have to come here and read the leaks/data mining, etc...

Personally, I like having some early information because it helps with figuring out what you want to do in the game. *shrug* to each their own though.
    That isn't an acceptable answer. People have to come here or WoWhead for guids, plus the forums. Kinda hard to avoid it. Yes, the sites ruin the games, and yes, the games would be better if Blizzard shut both sites down.

To an extent. I wish I could filter by spoilers so I could talk about current lore without spoiling the next patch cycle's. A lot of the stuff changes down the line anyway before release yet people never let it go. (see: The Purge Squad and Nathanos soloing Tyrande from bfa)

I think it feeds the negative feedback loop of these forums a lot. People complain about things before they're even done and have no context, then when the context is finally added, they just complain about that too in the same fashion. Blizzard writes the story from beginning to end with a plan in mind, MMO-champ players see the story as a long series of completely unconnected, arbitrary beta decisions made by a bunch of dum-dums strung together.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-12-05 at 08:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ecospherez View Post
    This guy sounds like a child who won't try new food just cus....

How can you profess something is garbage without trying it FOR YOURSELF, and no, watching videos and reading websites doesn't count.

Also why you in the WOW General Discussions if you don't play it and it's garbage?
    I guess the saying "only fools learn from their own mistakes" summs up your faculties nicely. It would also explain your inability to grasp how someone can be a part of discussion about the game they played and enjoyed long ago. Halfwit lowbrows keep praising shitty product and mumbling "sEe iT fOr yOuRseLf" nonsense is what made WoW loose millions of subscribers from the times of WoTLK.