Poll: Should Airlines and other business's be allowed to ban ESA?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    People abuse it, yes they should.

The only people I've seen with these animals had legitimate mental disabilities so I'd say no. I think there needs to be stricter guidelines on what qualifies as an emotional support animal. Maybe limit it to dogs and cats or something. Also, pit bulls should not be allowed on planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Based on what exactly? They're both disabilities, there isn't a fucking "which disability is actually worth worrying about" Olympics.
    This is like saying all felonies are the same. It's incredibly horrid logic.

Emotional support animals? Sure, airlines can ban them at theiur own discretion
    Actual Service animals? Airlines can suck a fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Service dogs yes, ESA no. There are alternate modes of travel available for those that can't survive emotionally a few hours without their animal. Flying is not a right and there has to be some practicality considered in this form of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    If they claim they need to be able to bring a ESA then not only should the animal not be allowed the person should not as well. Who would want to be locked in a metal tube at 20k feet going 500mph with someone that mentally/emotionally unstable.
    I know right? If someone literally cant fly for a couple hours without their gerble then they have some pretty big issues. I might need an emotional support body guard to sit on the same plane as them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    This is like saying all felonies are the same. It's incredibly horrid logic.
    So you don’t think a mental disability can be as disabling as say having one leg?

So you don’t think a mental disability can be as disabling as say having one leg?
    Did I say that? Or are you projecting your own fallacies onto my argument?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the ADA needs to be amended to allow businesses to verify that a service animal is medically necessary/genuine (via requesting documentation/certification to that end) if they are expected to accommodate it.

The current law is just silly and basically written to be abused.

Quote Originally Posted by ADA FAQ
    In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.
    Utter nonsense, I say that as a disabled person. I could literally go find some random stray dog on the street, put a leash on it, and go into a restaurant with it claiming its a service animal. Unless the restaurant wants to risk litigation disputing that the dog is a service animal, all they can do is smile and wave.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I know right? If someone literally cant fly for a couple hours without their gerble then they have some pretty big issues. I might need an emotional support body guard to sit on the same plane as them.
    If they can fly with their emotional support midget horse, then I get to bring my emotional support basket-hilt.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Did I say that? Or are you projecting your own fallacies onto my argument?
    You started with the "this is like saying all felonies are the same"

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    People abuse it, yes they should.
    So anything that can be abused, should be banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    So anything that can be abused, should be banned?
    No. Measures should be taken to prevent its abuse... like some official card that actually warrants it. And not some random jackass claiming they "need" their emotional support animal (i.e. pet).

While the "disabilities" that they're for are often pretty questionable, I don't really understand people's passion for being bent out of shape about this. Over the last few years, I've been on something like 600 flights and literally never had an issue with someone's animal being disruptive. I understand that it's possible to find examples of disruptive animals, but they're very much man bites dog stories. There isn't some widespread issue of people faking a disability with their emotional support kangaroo, just a few people with dogs that sit quietly at their feet.

More broadly, my experience with flying has been that it's weird to me that people who fly like twice a year have so many complaints. Things are mostly fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    No. Measures should be taken to prevent its abuse... like some official card that actually warrants it. And not some random jackass claiming they "need" their emotional support animal (i.e. pet).
    Why don't we just hang tight and wait for there to be an actual problem to solve instead of antagonizing the vast majority of people with animals on planes that are bothering no one?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    While the "disabilities" that they're for are often pretty questionable, I don't really understand people's passion for being bent out of shape about this. Over the last few years, I've been on something like 600 flights and literally never had an issue with someone's animal being disruptive. I understand that it's possible to find examples of disruptive animals, but they're very much man bites dog stories. There isn't some widespread issue of people faking a disability with their emotional support kangaroo, just a few people with dogs that sit quietly at their feet.

More broadly, my experience with flying has been that it's weird to me that people who fly like twice a year have so many complaints. Things are mostly fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't we just hang tight and wait for there to be an actual problem to solve instead of antagonizing the vast majority of people with animals on planes that are bothering no one?
    Tell that to people that have to waste more time cleaning animal hairs from carpets and upholstery... which can be an allergen issue.

So support animals aid people with disabilities and in this thread we have people who just feel disability laws are silly?
    You mean service dogs, which is exactly not the kind of animal we are talking about. We're talking about emotional support animals. Those are animals not trained for anything, so they don't aid anyone, they are just there as pets. Dogs used to assist, for instance, people with autism, ptsd and other mental illnesses are trained for a specific task (like calming their owner, preventing them from running into traffic, etc) and are called service dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    You mean service dogs, which is exactly not the kind of animal we are talking about. We're talking about emotional support animals. Those are animals not trained for anything, so they don't aid anyone, they are just there as pets. Dogs used to assist, for instance, people with autism, ptsd and other mental illnesses are trained for a specific task (like calming their owner, preventing them from running into traffic, etc) and are called service dogs.
    Emotional support animals are for those that need emotional support. An esa for one with autism is an esa

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I think the ADA needs to be amended to allow businesses to verify that a service animal is medically necessary/genuine (via requesting documentation/certification to that end) if they are expected to accommodate it.

The current law is just silly and basically written to be abused.

Utter nonsense, I say that as a disabled person. I could literally go find some random stray dog on the street, put a leash on it, and go into a restaurant with it claiming its a service animal. Unless the restaurant wants to risk litigation disputing that the dog is a service animal, all they can do is smile and wave.
    You can ask two questions: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability; and what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? If they can't answer those questions, you can ban them. Good luck explaining how Poochie is trained to sit on your lap and be petted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    You can ask two questions: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability; and what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? If they can't answer those questions, you can ban them. Good luck explaining how Poochie is trained to sit on your lap and be petted.
    "Yes its a service animal!"

"Its trained to protect my head during seizures!"

*Walks into restaurant with my stray dog.*

Emotional support animals are for those that need emotional support. An esa for one with autism is an esa
    Yes, but you shouldn't have an ESA, but a trained service dog for that. They offer emotional support ánd are trained for the task, like helping you to calm down, etc. If you just need to pet a peacock to be ok, you don't have a disability and should suck it up and pet them when you arrive, or travel by other means.