Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It could be loosely argued that Demon Hunters are a race as well as a class since they're substantially different from elves physically, which would make Shadowlands fit the pattern.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather they just keep adding allied and non allied races than more classes. I feel like we are in a pretty good spot when it comes to classes and most if not all bases are covered before you start overlapping more than some already do.

I think the obvious answer is because they didn't think it would boosts subs/sales enough.

But furthermore, their direction for Shadowlands definitely seems like there is a focus on fundamentally fixing classes. But from BlizzCon it doesn't even seem like they know how to do that yet. Its kind of counter intuitive to add multiple new specs when you don't even know which direction to take the old ones.

No new class, and the info we have about current class development leaves a tremendous amount to be desired.

So far, all I’ve heard was that some old abilities are returning. Very disappointing news so far...
    Stoneskin, Mana Spring, Wrath of Air, Totem of Wrath...

Probably for one main reason.

They couldnt think up a class that both fit the theme of the expansion and had enough unique spells to not just be a copy of other classes.

Class design space isn't infinite. At some point it becomes boring, or just a flavor variant. We're already struggling with class mechanics being meaningfully different rather than just "combo points, but in a different way".

Existing classes/specs could use a more substantial overhaul, though. Just going "you guys liked Classic huh? GUESS WHAT, HUNTER'S MARK IS BACK!" is a bit anemic.

To be honest, i don't actually miss a new class.

The biggest problem about it is all the trouble you get to level and gear each single character so that they become playable for each current content and in pair with everyone else.

I already have the 12 classes on each side at max level... Not anxious at all to get two more for now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a class planned to be added but was cut for some reason. Apparently they can get away with just breaking existing classes and then ''try to fix'' current classes for the next expansion as a ''major feature''. Its not like we had expansions that both improved all classes a lot and also added a new class aswell *COUGH* WotLK *COUGH* MoP *COUGH*

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    Why do we need a new class every other expansion, though? Is there a point where we have too many classes to balance properly?
    We could have only 3 classes and Blizzard would still be viewed as unable to balance properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    There is a way to balance... allow counters. Either each class has a hard and a soft counter or have them split classes into 3 or 5 categories, then balance the 3 to 5.
    Ah yes, the Dark Legacy approach to class balance.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    We didn't need DKs, Monk and DHs as well. New class is just new flavour.
    Okay? And your point exactly? I'm saying they have more pressing matters to attend to then adding another class

I think it has more to do with a lack of creativity of new specs and spells that fit the theme. I mean sure the obvious would be a necromancer, but then they'd have to come up with a full kit, of at least 2 specs, and I think they lacked the ideas for that.

Quote Originally Posted by anti-fascist View Post
    That's right, WoD also had no new class or race. And covenants are another single expansion deal like garrisons.

This doesn't bode well. WoD 2?
    Probably. Blizzard is quite lazy in this expansion: Not only does 8.3 feel like quite a lazyfest and a rehash of old content, Shadowlands seems quite underwhelming: 5 zones, not connected, Bastion seems very very blant, and it does feel that blizzard have not many devs on wow any more.

It feels right now like the worst combination of Cataclysm and WoD: they took the worst of them, and made an expansion of it.

This might be connected that the "BEST DEVS" are now working on mobile. Or blizzard was so into the mobile-insanity before blizzcon 2018 that they didn#t had much content for wow any more, since all devs were focusing on DO YOU GUYS HAVE NO PHONES. Any of this is quite possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Why would they add a new class so you can complain about, when they can not add one and have you complain anyway.

Now seriously, adding a class just for the sake of saying "hey we added a new class, fuck you" does not do any good. Besides, we have enough classes, I doubt that you're playing them all.

And what if they added a new class and it wasn't something you'd like? Like for example I don't give a crap about monks, I absolutely dislike everything about them.
    Well im just gonna say. Your dislike of monks is noted and...your simply dumb for not liking the single greatest class introduced into the game.

because its not needed

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    Why do we need a new class every other expansion, though? Is there a point where we have too many classes to balance properly?

By that argument, they should never put anything new in the game ever. No new expansions because there's plenty of things in the game that aren't balanced properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    As the title says, why are we not getting a new class. The way expansions worked in the past has been quite consistant.

Vanilla - all original classes and races
    BC - New races
    Wrath - New class
    Cata - New races
    MoP - Both new class and race
    WoD - nothing due to MoP offering both
    Legion - New class
    End of Legion, Almost all of BFA - New races.

In keeping with tradition, we should be getting either a new class or both a class and race. I wonder what gives. I did see a youtube video where someone alluded to a new class (necromancer) but I think that is doubtful. Does anyone else think there might or might not be a new race for a specific reason. I personally wanted a new class but I know that an overhaul of the current classes and leveling is more important. Let me know what yall think.
    Because the theme of the expansion is death and we already got a death-based class in Wrath, the DK. I know some people wanna say 'but muh necromancers!', sorry but that's pretty much what a DK is. They raise and control the dead, spread disease and pestilence (literally, in UH's case) and any attempt at a necromancer class would cannibalize abilities from them the same way DH/DK took abilities away from warlocks.

As far as new races we go, as of 8.3 we will have gained 10 in the last 2 years (and there's a lot of evidence to suggest 2 more are coming), and the focus of Shadowlands is significantly increasing the customization options of the vanilla/BC races - which is LONG overdue.

So yeah, there you go. That's why.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2019-12-06 at 03:43 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    They arent obliged to add a class to fit in some weird sheme people created.

Not to mention the only class that would've fit in shadowlands would be the 'necromancer' and we already got one since wotlk.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

1. There are (arguably) enough classes in the game.
    2. Current classes need major tweaking to fix what's wrong, adding another one would complicate things unnecessarily by requiring further tweaking.
    3. With the Allied Races included, there are (arguably) more than enough different playable races.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    In keeping with tradition, we should
    Not the best argument for having a new class.