Is there a better gaming SSD than what I have

I'm currently using a Samsung 840 Pro 238 GB SSD drive. This drive is connected via SATA to my MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 motherboard. Just curious if there is faster SSD out there. I don't think I can use NVMe SSD drives with this motherboard, and even if I could, I'm not sure they're faster. Intel Optane drives are out of my price range.

yours is from 2012. i just looked at a sata ssd from 2018 and the numbers are pretty much the same (limited by the sata connection). i'm sure the 2018 one has some improvements but i doubt they would be very noticeable in every day use.

now the one thing that is better is price/GB. you can probably get at least 1TB now for the price you paid for yours in 2012.

You could look into a PCI to NVME adapter. they cost $20-40 orso. but you should research how much of an actual improvement you would get from that. i got a 1TB nvme ssd for $140ish recently, but some models go as low as $100.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you feel like being a big strong tech man, you could try RIAD Zeroing together 2 (or more) newer, larger SSDs. Functionally combining the speed of both drives for big flexing. But, in my experience, even an old SSD is better than any common HDD, so you're probably in pretty good shape for now. Though I did run a 250GB SSD for a long time and felt way better after I upgraded for pure data-claustrophobia sake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standa...ls#Performance
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    yours is from 2012. i just looked at a sata ssd from 2018 and the numbers are pretty much the same (limited by the sata connection). i'm sure the 2018 one has some improvements but i doubt they would be very noticeable in every day use.

now the one thing that is better is price/GB. you can probably get at least 1TB now for the price you paid for yours in 2012.

You could look into a PCI to NVME adapter. they cost $20-40 orso. but you should research how much of an actual improvement you would get from that. i got a 1TB nvme ssd for $140ish recently, but some models go as low as $100.
    Great.. Thank you for the reply and information.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt any SSD upgrade would make a difference. Loading times for games won´t change all that much from SSD to SSD Not even close to anything to make it worth it to spend money on.. what, 2 seconds quicker to log in?

Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    I'm currently using a Samsung 840 Pro 238 GB SSD drive. This drive is connected via SATA to my MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 motherboard. Just curious if there is faster SSD out there. I don't think I can use NVMe SSD drives with this motherboard, and even if I could, I'm not sure they're faster. Intel Optane drives are out of my price range.
    The only thing I would add that I didn’t see mentioned is that traditional SATA ssd’s suffer performance wise when you max out their capacity. So if you are hitting the max capacity, you would see performance gains from upgrading.

Normally this is accounted for by provisioning the drive with 10-20% unallocated free space. I believe the newer NVME drives don’t have this issue, though I haven’t looked into this in years.

If you wanted to get the pci adapter, you should also make sure that your motherboard supports booting from it, unless you keep your current ssd as a boot drive and the pci as storage/installs

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    The only thing I would add that I didn’t see mentioned is that traditional SATA ssd’s suffer performance wise when you max out their capacity. So if you are hitting the max capacity, you would see performance gains from upgrading.

Normally this is accounted for by provisioning the drive with 10-20% unallocated free space. I believe the newer NVME drives don’t have this issue, though I haven’t looked into this in years.

If you wanted to get the pci adapter, you should also make sure that your motherboard supports booting from it, unless you keep your current ssd as a boot drive and the pci as storage/installs
    I am at maximum capacity now because I just installed CoD Modern Warfare. However, since the game won't stop crashing, I believe I will uninstall it soon. However, I am also considering a new SSD with larger capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    I am at maximum capacity now because I just installed CoD Modern Warfare. However, since the game won't stop crashing, I believe I will uninstall it soon. However, I am also considering a new SSD with larger capacity.
    Just loading your games from a different SSD than your OS drive will also improve load times - but as others have said we're talking some pretty small differences here. Nothing like the leap from HDD to SSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.