10+ Year Old Account

Moderator suggestion

When banning a bot for spam, actually delete all their crap.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...m-testofactors

That thread has been up for about 2 weeks now and still hasn't been cleared, despite the spammer having been banned.

This isn't the first time spam is left behind after getting rid of the spam bot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    When banning a bot for spam, actually delete all their crap.

*Removed on behalf of OP*

That thread has been up for about 2 weeks now and still hasn't been cleared, despite the spammer having been banned.

This isn't the first time spam is left behind after getting rid of the spam bot.
    Tends to be due to the moderator most likely connected to a different subforum and thus can't clean up after the bot. Though, they have a thread, as well as a chat, where they can request for it to be cleaned up. I can only say that you have to report it, and let the moderators handle it.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2019-12-06 at 05:40 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Please don't quote my message, as it contains the actual spam as part of the link.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Tends to be due to the moderator most likely connected to a different subforum and thus can't clean up after the bot. Though, they have a thread, as well as a chat, where they can request for it to be cleaned up. I can only say that you have to report it, and let the moderators handle it.
    Mods do rely on reports; spam can go unnoticed if nobody reports it or responds; it quickly falls down the forum and might not be on the first page when a mod next checks in.

Green mods can only purge posts in their own forums, but SOP when I was modding was to post the spambot's user name in a thread dedicated to this for the globals, who'd go through and hard-purge the whole forum of everything. That happened pretty quick, so the age here suggests no one ever reported it and it never got handled directly, that's all. Stuff slips through the cracks now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It would be cool if cleaning up spam and fixing threads were a straightforward "Just take care of it" type of deal, but the mod assignments are all segmented and it's a really... thorough process to get approved as a mod. I'd love to be able to delete spam where I see it, fix thread titles, move threads on request, all that stuff, but they have a VERY thorough process for becoming a mod.

I feel like they should just have some kind of janitor rank mod that has the power to do basic cleanup.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I feel like they should just have some kind of janitor rank mod that has the power to do basic cleanup.
    The blues!

=
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

It would be cool if cleaning up spam and fixing threads were a straightforward "Just take care of it" type of deal, but the mod assignments are all segmented and it's a really... thorough process to get approved as a mod. I'd love to be able to delete spam where I see it, fix thread titles, move threads on request, all that stuff, but they have a VERY thorough process for becoming a mod.

Yeah and then they start deleting posts and threads they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    They won't last long doing that. Like, I used to mod waaaaaaaay back when, and I did a pretty good job (was not deleting threads I didn't like lol) for about a year or so, and when I tried to re-apply recently it was a very thorough and lengthy process that ultimately failed. And I'm like, "Dude, I just want to be able to clean up like I used to!"

They won't last long doing that.
    Yeah and then you have to get the "real" mods to get rid of the "bad" mods instead of just getting the mods to get rid of the bad posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could have the janitors just hide it, and then the real mods can see it and restore the post/thread and remove the janitors after 2/3 strikes

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah and then you have to get the "real" mods to get rid of the "bad" mods instead of just getting the mods to get rid of the bad posts.
    But the idea would be to have more people, preferably in other time zones, to help with it

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Could have the janitors just hide it, and then the real mods can see it and restore the post/thread and remove the janitors after 2/3 strikes

- - - Updated - - -

But the idea would be to have more people, preferably in other time zones, to help with it
    Go ahead they are always hiring.

15+ Year Old Account
    They won't last long doing that. Like, I used to mod waaaaaaaay back when, and I did a pretty good job (was not deleting threads I didn't like lol) for about a year or so, and when I tried to re-apply recently it was a very thorough and lengthy process that ultimately failed. And I'm like, "Dude, I just want to be able to clean up like I used to!"
    Hah, I also used to be a mod here. But none of us old timers with tens of thousands of posts qualify for moderation positions anymore. Too much baggage, spoiled goods.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Hah, I also used to be a mod here. But none of us old timers with tens of thousands of posts qualify for moderation positions anymore. Too much baggage, spoiled goods.
    It does kind of take away your ability to say whatever you want though. Anything even slightly against the grain that is likely to elicit challenges and debate can quickly devolve into a complete mess if you're a mod.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is already the policy.

Keep in mind green mods only have powers within their own assigned forums. Globals do the most of the spambot clearing and we can delete threads anywhere, but sometimes it happens that a thread is made right as the other threads are being deleted and it slips by in that small window. There is also occasionally a delay with the site index which means that a thread might not show up on the posts/threads list and get missed that way as well.

Just report the posts when you see them and they'll get taken care of.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |