Poll: Voters Right Act - Should Felons be allowed to vote?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Ya I judge them by how big of scum bags they are. Luckily heroine seems to be doing a good job of thinning the herd of them when they get out.
    This is where you lost what little credibility that you had.
    change can't wait.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Employment is it's own issue. My point is simple, it would be quite screwy to tax someone on the federal level and deny them their representative vote.
    I fully agree with you. We formed a new country over it more than 200 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Sol View Post
    Ok? What is felonies?
    Felony: serious bodily harm, rape, murder, armed robbery, etc.

Not a felony: stealing a candy bar, getting in a fight with your wife and you slap her, speeding, drug possession under X amount, etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    ah. Rights should be restored after doing time. Otherwise its a pretty easy thing for the government to abuse.

For every "but what about the pedooooos", you have about several thousand people with felonies for dealing pot. Or insider trading (hello martha stewart)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    What about rapist, should convicted rapist be allowed to vote especially for representatives that can vote on bills like say concerning informed consent?

What if nobody convicted was disfranchised we knew for certain they were guilty of a certain crime, is there no point where you feel a person should lose their input into laws that govern everybody else?

I don't, I don't think wolves should be allowed to vote on what sheep are going to be for dinner.
    If such a representative won, it took far more than some hypothetical rapists' votes to win the seat.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    It certainly creates more of an incentive to charge people with more felonies if you don't like some aspect about them, and some populations are at higher risk of committing felonies than others based on circumstance. But yeah, limit the ability of those communities to try to change their circumstances democratically. Seems legit.
    I am in 100% agreement with you, but then shouldn't it be that which is addressed rather than giving voting rights to people who haven't participated in society in any constructive way or even further have been destructive.

Remember getting a felony "Hypothetically" supposed to be an EASY thing to get.

Being convicted of a Felony "In Theory" is supposed to be for infractions against some of the most important laws we have, like say Murder!

I really don't want Murderers to vote at all.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    This is where you lost what little credibility that you had.
    By who? You? You're no one.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about rapist, should convicted rapist be allowed to vote especially for representatives that can vote on bills like say concerning informed consent?
    The short answer is "yes".

The longer answer involves pointing out that the number of convicted rapists is so small that it's not a voting bloc with any power to change informed consent laws. And that the same justification could be applied to, say, people convicted of marijuana possession not being able to vote to legalize marijuana, where suddenly their opinions seems a lot more relevant.

What if nobody convicted was disfranchised we knew for certain they were guilty of a certain crime, is there no point where you feel a person should lose their input into laws that govern everybody else?
    Not really, no.

Because we're talking about a democratic system with a universal franchise. The most egregious individuals that you'll argue should not contribute are also so few in number that, in democratic terms, they're basically irrelevant.

If this were an oligarchy and they were the only people making decisions, sure, that's bad. In practice, their voices are drowned out.

Plus, consider the impact on rehabilitation. By denying them civil rights, you further separate these felons from society, creating a deeper divide that works against rehabilitation. Your likening them as "wolves" to the rest of society's "sheep" is, itself, a form of rhetorical segregation, working to widen that divide, and keep them criminal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Crimes that are serious like murder, rape, kiddy fiddling, etc. Misdemeanors are less serious crimes like stealing a candy bar, jaywalking, speeding, etc. Usually delt with by fines and/or a short term (days/months) in the city jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    If such a representative won, it took far more than some hypothetical rapists' votes to win the seat.
    Yes, but laws and the way our society works has to do with laws that reflect the values of the general populace.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ya I judge them by how big of scum bags they are. Luckily heroine seems to be doing a good job of thinning the herd of them when they get out.
    So if you don’t judge them on averages why does one need to work in a jail to do so as you said in your other post?

By who? You? You're no one.
    I’m not surprised you would make this comment after painting all people with felonies with as broad a brush as you have, making comments about them all doing heroin and killing themselves off, and even going as far to say that they should be shot. All because of “statistics”. I do hope you stop being so ignorant one day.
    change can't wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    ah. Rights should be restored after doing time. Otherwise its a pretty easy thing for the government to abuse.

For every "but what about the pedooooos", you have about several thousand people with felonies for dealing pot. Or insider trading (hello martha stewart)
    Then laws ought to be changed, that doesn't mean felons the worst of all kinds of crimes should be allowed to participate in society in a way they have proven to have wronged.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    During their time in prison? Fuck no. You are obviously not competent or willing to be involved in society so you don't get a say.

After, depends on the nature and severity of their crimes.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

I don't, I don't think wolves should be allowed to vote on what sheep are going to be for dinner.
    Given that the wolves as you put it are massively out numbered by the sheep and that not even all or most wolves agree I think the sheep are pretty safe.

Yes, but laws and the way our society works has to do with laws that reflect the values of the general populace.
    And thankfully the general populace are not rapists. Maybe in some Rick & Morty alternate universe it would be the case but we don't abide by that here. Again, if you want their right to vote to be taken away permanently then they should be exempt them from federal taxes as well. Taxation without representation was one of the complaints of the 13 colonies against Britain.
    Last edited by kail; 2019-12-06 at 06:37 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then laws ought to be changed, that doesn't mean felons the worst of all kinds of crimes should be allowed to participate in society in a way they have proven to have wronged.
    You cant really make that distinction. A society that tries to do that can easily become one that abuses that power. The average populace isnt that smart and can be easily led.

Plus what about those who did say, armed robbery but have so thoroughly reformed that they havent done anything wrong in 15 years past release? Should they constantly be wearing the scarlet letter? Why would ANYONE attempt to be reformed if they never get to be integrated into society fully again?

Once they’ve done their time, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    And thankfully the general populace are not rapists. Maybe in some Rick & Morty alternate universe it would be the case but we don't abide by that here.

IM RAPIST RIIIIIIICCCCKKKKKKK!!!

I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    I’m not surprised you would make this comment after painting all people with felonies with as broad a brush as you have, making comments about them all doing heroin and killing themselves off, and even going as far to say that they should be shot. All because of “statistics”. I do hope you stop being so ignorant one day.
    The only ones ignorant are the ones talking out their ass that have never worked in the system.