Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    No it isn't.
    It is, but the op neglects to mention that "at any moment" in geological terms is some time in the next couple of hundred thousand years or so.
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    Dun worry, I have played Frostpunk to prepare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yellowstone's supervolcano is a world wide catastrophy that will effect not just that portion of America but the atmosphere across the world. Blackening of the sky, death of so much wildlife and trees and crops.

Given that you would hope every powerful nation on earth could put aside some shit and put everything they have towards preventing the fallout.

Scientists here reference tobas supervolcano, which erupted thousends of years before, and who's effect on the planet caused world wide death of people, animals and plants, not just due to ash but who that ash changed the planets climate, be sending freezing temperatures across the globe for years after.
    And toba was about the same size as Yellowstone

So yeah, when it erupts it will effect everyone, many might die, but hey, let's just live in the now, because if those with power and money are not going to do anything to contain the fallout, not like we can do anything, so eh, might as well just live for today
    Last edited by Trassk; 2019-12-07 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Given that you would hope every powerful nation on earth could put aside some shit and put everything they have towards preventing the fallout.
    HAHAHA best joke ever.

Also you can expect many african nations to welcome people with AK-47 bullets =)

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    The most terrifying and overlooked issue in the U.S if not the world is the supervolcano in the western US that is bound to erupt any moment. Even if you're out the blast radius, super-tsunami, super-earthquakes and the shifting of the plates will wreck so much havoc on this planet and if that doesn't scare you? The ashfall out will cover the sun and super-cool the Earth for hundreds of years.

What would you do in this situation:
    "BREAKING NEWS: YELLOWSTONE SUPER VOLCANO ERUPTS"
    Have a cig and go to the pub. Nothing much else I can do

- - - Updated - - -

Yellowstone's supervolcano is a world wide catastrophy that will effect not just that portion of America but the atmosphere across the world. Blackening of the sky, death of so much wildlife and trees and crops.

Cant prevent that mate, even every nation working together,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Have a cig and go to the pub. Nothing much else I can do

- - - Updated - - -

Cant prevent that mate, even every nation working together,
    You have scientists today figuring out how mankind could live on the moon, you'd think they'd have thought up a contingency for this.
    But yeah your probably right, we can't do anything if they can't, so just need to accept the fact, hope we're far enough away that it doesn't kill us directly, and then just wait for the call outs for those moving into underground cities to escape the global freezing for a time

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    no technology available to ease the pressure a bit ? some small eruptions here and then would still "disturb the peace", but far better than the full blow up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    no technology available to ease the pressure a bit ? some small eruptions here and then would still "disturb the peace", but far better than the full blow up.
    Nuke it.

Like a 15 megaton nuke detonated in 1km depth or so. Would make a nice squirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Blame Trump for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I'd look on with growing concern. The damage would likely cripple America to the point where it's no longer one of the world's super powers. Which means China would step in to fill the void. Something that would be very, very bad.

Also financial disruption world wide would lead to unrest and chaos. So I guess I'd be out looting and cursing myself for not building that fallout shelter.

Also I'd change my twitter avatar to something remembrancey.
    This is the most logical comment in this thread.

It is not "bound to erupt any moment" as if it was like a giant pile of TNT with a trigger waiting to go off. There would be a ton of seismic warning signs among other things.

Scientists here reference tobas supervolcano, which erupted thousends of years before, and who's effect on the planet caused world wide death of people, animals and plants, not just due to ash but who that ash changed the planets climate, be sending freezing temperatures across the globe for years after.
    And toba was about the same size as Yellowstone

So yeah, when it erupts it will effect everyone, many might die, but hey, let's just live in the now, because if those with power and money are not going to do anything to contain the fallout, not like we can do anything, so eh, might as well just live for today
    Or, as I linked earlier, we should "live for today" because:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...low/973633002/
    Scientists who study Yellowstone's 45-by-30-mile caldera, roughly the size of Rhode Island, say the underground system probably will give decades of warning before it blows – and that isn't likely to happen for thousands of years. Despite the seismic orchestra of "snap, crackle and pop" that goes on underground, there are no signs it's about to become more explosive.

You have scientists today figuring out how mankind could live on the moon, you'd think they'd have thought up a contingency for this.
    But yeah your probably right, we can't do anything if they can't, so just need to accept the fact, hope we're far enough away that it doesn't kill us directly, and then just wait for the call outs for those moving into underground cities to escape the global freezing for a time
    There are no underground city's and digging such a thing would take years. When yellow stone blows we will have maybe a few months warning if we're lucky.

Maximum we will see is mass evacuations to near the equator but in the whole 90% of us will die off and the 10% who Servive will need to start again.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    There are no underground city's and digging such a thing would take years. When yellow stone blows we will have maybe a few months decades warning if we're lucky.

Maximum we will see is mass evacuations to near the equator but in the whole 90% of us will die off and the 10% who Servive will need to start again.
    Fixed that for you.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    If global warming has taught us anything then it is that a few decades will not be enough warning

Fixed that for you.
    It's a bit misleading that we know anything about supervolcano eruption predictability. We can barely predicts normal volcanos.

Yellowstone's could make earth quakes for years, it could also just blow tomorrow.

I'll be very warm, very briefly. Then I won't really have much else to worry about, I'd wager.

It's so weird to me that there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it, so we just kinda sit here, literally on a bomb, and wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or, as I linked earlier, we should "live for today" because:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...low/973633002/
    I mean, if it's thousends of years, maybe by then people will have figured out how to off shoot the thing into space instead of the atmosphere, seen as how they want to build skyscrapers into space at this stage.
    But either way maybe we will all be dead before it happens, so the only ones it going to matter for are our children and chridrens children and so on. Does make me concerned about my nephew's though

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a damn thing since I'll be long dead before it blows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Not a damn thing since I'll be long dead before it blows up.
    How do you know when it's going to blow up?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.