Thread: dwm.exe

dwm.exe

anyone else having issues with an RTX 2080 and this process, for a while now my bro has had this issue where, the entirity of windows just randomly starts crashing and shitting the bed, it locks up, kicks you back to the log in screen which is also largely frozen. it black screens and stays like that with a mouse cursor still moving.

i just can't seem to figure out what the hell is going on.

i've tried removing all drivers and doing clean installs,
    i've disabled random shit from loading up with windows, mostly apps that don't need to load.
    i've updated windows
    i've switched pci-e slots and tried a new display port cable.

it seems to work fine for a certain amount of time then it just randomly black screens and all i can find in the event viewer is that the dwm.exe is crashing all the time.

at first i thought he might have to RMA his 2080 but i actually don't think the card is the problem, i've read that some of the 2080 have shitty micron memory chips, nope his has samsung.

the day he got the card it wouldn't work in 144hz, he had to play at 75hz to make it not randomly blackscreen. now windows just seems to crash on a whim.

the rest of his pc is

ryzen 1600x
    16gb either 32 or 3000 vengeance ram
    750watt psu evga
    windows is installed on the m.2
    mobo is an aorus maybe a320
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-12-06 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    anyone else having issues with an RTX 2080 and this process, for a while now my bro has had this issue where, the entirity of windows just randomly starts crashing and shitting the bed, it locks up, kicks you back to the log in screen which is also largely frozen. it black screens and stays like that with a mouse cursor still moving.

i just can't seem to figure out what the hell is going on.

i've tried removing all drivers and doing clean installs,
    i've disabled random shit from loading up with windows, mostly apps that don't need to load.
    i've updated windows
    i've switched pci-e slots and tried a new display port cable.

it seems to work fine for a certain amount of time then it just randomly black screens and all i can find in the event viewer is that the dwm.exe is crashing all the time.

at first i thought he might have to RMA his 2080 but i actually don't think the card is the problem, i've read that some of the 2080 have shitty micron memory chips, nope his has samsung.

the day he got the card it wouldn't work in 144hz, he had to play at 75hz to make it not randomly blackscreen. now windows just seems to crash on a whim.
    Is there anything in event viewer that would imply there’s an issue when this happens? You should look at the event trail and see if anything is crashing in the time window.

Edit:
    I don’t know how I literally missed the entire second paragraph in your post, please disregard

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I would say it sounds more like Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) is actually damaged, and not an issue with your video drivers or card. Try using the system file checker (sfc.exe /scannow) to see if corrupted core files are present, and if possible restore them from alternative media other than the one you used to install or reinstall your OS.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I can do a sfc scan tomorrow, windows did scan itself earlier because once this problem happens the only way to do anything is to power button the pc so earlier it did a quick scan by itself to make sure nothing was broken because it was powered off by the button, then i ran ddu in safemode, removed everything nvidia, went to install the drivers again after it restarted and with no drivers installed, only what it copies from the initial unpack, the problem happened again and windows started crapping out crashing back to the login and freezing up. thats when I think i figured its not the actual card the event viewer isn't super helpful I can gather its the dwm.exe that is crashing but why its crashing is hidden in codes.

10+ Year Old Account
    In this order, check another display cable and disable any display tech like gsync freesync hdr

its a strange issue my pc is a potato compared to my bros and i don't have this issue (i have an i5 4xxx and a 1060), what is strange though is how it just black screens then you end up at the login splash screen for windows, you lmb once and the screen changes to the bit where you login to windows but this whole thing is just semi frozen bugging out and resetting back to the bit with the clock.

on the help thing it just says 'relogging into windows is a temporary fix' but once this happens you can't log back in its just seriously bugged out. screen just flickers black and its like the whole of windows is just crashing and restarting, well the dwm is doing that.

once you turn the pc on it plays fine for a while, in 75hz or 144hz, its just after some random amount of time this happens. it could be 30mins it could be a few hours but eventually it seems to just crash out.

thought he was slacking on the windows updates but that wasn't it. we could try rolling back to older drivers and see if that works although with the 2080 i thought the newer drivers would be better suited to the card and older drivers might not support it at all.

I remember when he got the card and the first game we played was atlas, every so often if the monitor was set to 144hz it would just black screen randomly then come back again, we fixed this by just having the monitor set to 75hz, that stopped the random blackscreens. but now it seems as though it doesn't matter this particular problem is systemic.

I appreciate the replies and i'll try more things tomorrow, if it comes to it we can just rma the 2080 although i don't actually think its broken. mainly i was just curious to see if anyone else had the same issue.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-12-06 at 11:42 PM.

Have you tried to put the card in your computer to see if the issue happens there too?

thats a good point i could try that, could also try my 1060 in my bros pc i dunno if my z97 will take a 2080 my i5 4570 will be bottlenecked for sure.

I tried a few things today,

I ran dism, that came back clean.
    i updated his mobo drivers the chipset drivers for the x370 k5 mobo
    i then flashed the bios, i think he had some ancient bios version maybe f4, so i flashed it to f50a. it seems ok but he needs to play it for a while now and see if the problem remains. I actually am starting to think it might have just been that we hadn't updated the bios since we put the pc together. there were various updates to compatibility since his bios version so maybe this is the cure.

it said on the bios page that i should flash it to a different version first but i thought fuck that noise i don't like flashing the bios on a pc that can crash on a whim let alone flashing it multiple times in a row, regardless it booted up and seemed to be fine. but i can't be bothered to sit there all night playing a pc that might not crash anymore. when hes back on sunday he can find out if its fixed. ill keep it on for a while and see what happens.

edit: didn't wanna bump this but the dwm.exe problem is a persistent fuck, after updating the bios it seemed fine for over a week, but then the problem happened again.

this time we tried my old r7 370 in the pc, and an old shitty monitor, same thing, dwm.exe crashing in the event viewer. i've reinstalled windows and again i'm betting its fine for a week then starts fucking up again.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-01-03 at 07:22 PM.

Users face the problem with Brother Printer offline, such as they are not able to print the document to your install Brother printer offline windows 10. Because show the printer offline. You will some setting adjust and you can able to print. So, I have explained some setting you can follow the step by step and resolve the issue.