Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm generally onboard with the idea that huge damage awards serve a purpose, they make the thing for which damage was awarded sting enough that big corporations and wealthy individuals have to take notice. That's important for things like product liability, for example. At some point though, I wonder if we need to have a cap to maintain some sense of proportion and discourage shake down litigation.

"I was insulted on the Internet and want 100 million or up" seems generally contrary to the usual advice that has been around since the early days of the Internet: "grow a thicker skin". I'd put the odds of someone making comments about bungee chasing kids if I were to move to Thailand in my 60s at about 100%. I'll make a deal, give me 70 million out of court now, and I'll move to Thailand so you can insult me.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Well, would you look at that?

The outcome of this was fairly predictable. He'd had to prove that Elon Musk Tweet not only convinced people that he was a pedophile, but that it did real damage to him financially or personally.
    I seem to recall people on this forum talking about how Elon Musk wouldnt call anyone a pedophile unless it was true

I am unsure if damages should be involved but.. to assume no damage to the persons reputation happened seems wrong

Elon Musk is a brand, he has a cult following that will assume anything they cannot see is obviously wrong is true and will make excuses for anything that is obviously false

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    "I was insulted on the Internet and want 100 million or up" seems generally contrary to the usual advice that has been around since the early days of the Internet: "grow a thicker skin".
    Why do people keep on parroting this rubbish? It clearly went beyond an insult. It is not simply someone saying "haha ur a moron" on Twitter...

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus
    It clearly went beyond an insult.
    You don't Internet much, do you? Nice opinion that you have there, but you didn't even manage to type it out without resorting to words like parrot and rubbish. I'll take 100,000 now, thank you.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

You don't Internet much, do you? Nice opinion that you have there, but you didn't even manage to type it out without resorting to words like parrot and rubbish. I'll take 100,000 now, thank you.
    Try to use some of those brain cells of yours. It'll really help.

Musk did more than just call him names, he actually flat-out accused him of doing pedo-things in Thailand. Or did you not see the e-mail that was posted on the previous page? And when I call someone a moron on the internet, I don't use my resources to hire a PI to dig dirt on them to substantiate my claims. Neither do 99% of people who insult each other on the internet.

In any case, his name is mud now, because if you Google search the diver's name, all that comes up is accusations of pedophilia. That goes far beyond "insulting someone" on a Tweet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    He also paid $50,000 for a PI. Apparently the jury thought it was just an insult. Right.
    and still not guiltily, You could have also just quoted and linked and not taken up so much space. LOL
    The worst part about the internet is that it let the truly crazy, racist, and bigots find each other easily.

Scarab Lord
    - - - Updated - - -

and still not guiltily, You could have also just quoted and linked and not taken up so much space. LOL
    Not guilty?

He said those things, he did those things

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Interesting that you mentioned "on the internet" in your statement. What do you think should happen to this person if it happened in real life in front of his peers?
    Probably the same thing that happened here: Nothing.

Musk may be a fucking asshole, but I don't think it's a good idea to let people sue each other (and win) just because they were trading insults...

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Not guilty?

He said those things, he did those things
    You're allowed to say mean things and even lie about people. Freedom of speech and all that.
    The worst part about the internet is that it let the truly crazy, racist, and bigots find each other easily.

Just goes to show what a farce your justice system is.

Why are civil litigation cases like this handled in front of a jury anyway?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Musk may be a fucking asshole, but I don't think it's a good idea to let people sue each other (and win) just because they were trading insults...
    Musk basically said he's in Thailand because he's involved in pedo-crime, and accused him of getting a child-bride. That's not really "trading insults", that's accusing someone of committing a serious crime.

Scarab Lord
    You're allowed to say mean things and even lie about people. Freedom of speech and all that.
    Still makes him guilty of saying those things

That must be clear, he is guilty of saying those things

He is the type of person who would, for no reason other than a fragile ego and the need to cover up for other nonsense, wildly accuse people of heinous crimes

Also he is the type of person who cannot and should not be trusted because, as indicated here, he will make up anything if he feels like it

Edit: Obviously say here means express, i treat a tweet as a say
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2019-12-07 at 06:57 AM.

The dude had 30 million followers on twitter. Him calling someone a pedo then doubling down even going so far as to stalk the dude using an investigator has far more serious repercussions than some no-name like you saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus
    In any case, his name is mud now, because if you Google search the diver's name, all that comes up is accusations of pedophilia.
    Your Google must work differently than my Bing. I find pages of stuff about him suing Musk, and about the rescue, but mention of pedophilia on the first few pages seems to be in the context of him suing Musk.

What I do find is that the guy is a financier, with estimated personal wealth of roughly 450,000 USD, listed as married, but no name for the wife and girlfriend prominently noted as a 40 year old nail salon owner. https://www.dreshare.com/vernon-unsworth/

Hmmm... an elderly white guy, living in Thailand, whose purported girlfriend (despite seven years together with a financier) is running a nail salon (at least around here that used to be a common cover for hiring young girls that were in the sex trade). Nope, looks to me like I'm still on the Internet where pedo is applied to people for having MLP or anime avatars, let alone being a walking stereotype. There is a reason I don't teach in SE Asia. To put it bluntly, it strains my disbelief to imagine that a wealthy tourist in Thailand over the years, never ended up in a situation that we would find morally questionable today.

Hiring a PI? Since truth is a defense in such cases, it would have been mighty odd if he didn't look into things, especially given the stereotype.

Nobody would give a damn about either of them if it were another MMO-C thread such as one about a teacher having sex with a student, one of the common ones where the insult gets tossed around, and that's where I find myself glad the jury came down against awarding millions of bucks for this. It would burn Musk, but then that precedent would have been set for every set of hurt feelz afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    The dude had 30 million followers on twitter. Him calling someone a pedo then doubling down even going so far as to stalk the dude using an investigator has far more serious repercussions than some no-name like you saying it.
    So because someone has a lot of followers they should have to censor their speech out of fear of being sued? That hardly seems fair.

If they hadn't made a literally legal case over it, and not got all butt hurt about someone legitimately trying to help it wouldn't have been an issue. He could have just kept his mouth shut or not been so critical and none of this would have happened.

He did it to himself, so I don't really care. This is like the guy (Jermey Zielinski), who tried to use to get his name removed from the internet and now everyone can google search his name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Still makes him guilty of saying those things

That must be clear, he is guilty of saying those things

He is the type of person who would, for no reason other than a fragile ego and the need to cover up for other nonsense, wildly accuse people of heinous crimes

Also he is the type of person who cannot and should not be trusted because, as indicated here, he will make up anything if he feels like it

Edit: Obviously say here means express, i treat a tweet as a say
    He isn't guilty, because to be guilty of something is there needs to be a criminal or civil offense. He might have done those things, but they weren't illegal.

The only one with a fragile Ego is the guy trying to become a millionaire of his hurt feelers.
    Last edited by Jettisawn; 2019-12-07 at 07:21 AM.

So because someone has a lot of followers they should have to censor their speech out of fear of being sued? That hardly seems fair.

If they hadn't made a literally legal case over it, and not got all butt hurt about someone legitimately trying to help it wouldn't have been an issue. He could have just kept his mouth shut or not been so critical and none of these would have happened.

He did it to himself, so I don't really care. This is like the guy (Jermey Zielinski), who tried to use to get his name removed from the internet and now everyone can google search his name.
    "Freedom of speech" shouldn't include accusing someone of being a pedo and being in Thailand just to get a child-bride, in front of millions of gullible people who take his word for everything. That sort of shit can ruin lives. He should shut his mouth and not make such serious accusations, because his word is more influential and impactful than the regular joe. That's not being unfair, that's just fucking common sense.

He got "butt-hurt" because he realised Musk was using his sub as a PR exercise, and rightly so. It's Musk who was disproportionate in his reply, who couldn't handle criticism. So no, he didn't do it to himself, this is mostly Musk's fault for not just publicly calling him a pedophile, but pushing the issue even when he deleted his post.

The only one with a fragile Ego is the guy trying to become a millionaire of his hurt feelers.
    Yeah, because Musk's ego is so big that it's clearly making you blind to the fact. Elon Musk was the one who had a tantrum on social media after his idea was rejected, not the other way around.
    Last edited by Heidelstein; 2019-12-07 at 07:25 AM.

How people think legal precedent should work for twitter.

1. Find a celebrity/rich person with a lot of followers.

2. Insult them until they respond.

3. Sue that person for responding like a human being when insulting them back.

4. Profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    "Freedom of speech" shouldn't include accusing someone of being a pedo and being in Thailand just to get a child-bride, in front of millions of gullible people who take his word for everything. That sort of shit can ruin lives. He should shut his mouth and not make such serious accusations, because his word is more influential and impactful than the regular joe. That's not being unfair, that's just fucking common sense.

He got "butt-hurt" because he realised Musk was using his sub as a PR exercise, and rightly so. It's Musk who was disproportionate in his reply, who couldn't handle criticism. So no, he didn't do it to himself, this is mostly Musk's fault for not just publicly calling him a pedophile, but pushing the issue even when he deleted his post.

Yeah, because Musk's ego is so big that it's clearly making you blind to the fact. Elon Musk was the one who had a tantrum on social media after his idea was rejected, not the other way around.
    It wasn't unprovoked and you are either ignorant of that fact or don't care because you don't like Musk. Either way the guy did it to himself.

It wasn't a pr-stunt. Say what you want about Elon Musk but to myself, he seems like he genuinely cares even if he is woefully out of touch.
    Last edited by Jettisawn; 2019-12-07 at 07:32 AM.

Damn you all who keep shorting Telsa stocks and losing your shirt just can't win one.

Your Google must work differently than my Bing. I find pages of stuff about him suing Musk, and about the rescue, but mention of pedophilia on the first few pages seems to be in the context of him suing Musk.

What I do find is that the guy is a financier, with estimated personal wealth of roughly 450,000 USD, listed as married, but no name for the wife and girlfriend prominently noted as a 40 year old nail salon owner. https://www.dreshare.com/vernon-unsworth/

Hmmm... an elderly white guy, living in Thailand, whose purported girlfriend (despite seven years together with a financier) is running a nail salon (at least around here that used to be a common cover for hiring young girls that were in the sex trade). Nope, looks to me like I'm still on the Internet where pedo is applied to people for having MLP or anime avatars, let alone being a walking stereotype. There is a reason I don't teach in SE Asia. To put it bluntly, it strains my disbelief to imagine that a wealthy tourist in Thailand over the years, never ended up in a situation that we would find morally questionable today.

Hiring a PI? Since truth is a defense in such cases, it would have been mighty odd if he didn't look into things, especially given the stereotype.

Nobody would give a damn about either of them if it were another MMO-C thread such as one about a teacher having sex with a student, one of the common ones where the insult gets tossed around, and that's where I find myself glad the jury came down against awarding millions of bucks for this. It would burn Musk, but then that precedent would have been set for every set of hurt feelz afterwards.
    You claimed that it was just an insult, but it went much further than that. Your assumptions and suppositions are irrelevant.

It wasn't unprovoked and you are either ignorant of that fact or don't care because you don't like Musk. Either way the guy did it to himself.

It wasn't a pr-stunt. Say what you want about Elon Musk but to myself, he seems like he genuinely cares even if he is woefully out of touch.
    He could've just called him a moron, an idiot or many other things. But no, not only he called him a pedo, but he double and tripled down to the point of hiring someone to snoop on him. You are essentially saying that this is acceptable to do that to someone after they tell you to basically "fuck off". Which is all that Vernon did. Stop trying to downplay it.

Uhh, yes it fucking was. That sub would have never worked, in many parts of the tunnel rescue personnel had to actually take off their gear and squeeze in. Just look at the size dimensions of that sub. The only reason Musk intervened because his rabid fanbase asked him to en-masse. Thought it'd make him look like a hero only for it to be laughed back in his face. He should not have put a horse in this race, and left it up to the actual experts.

You Musk shit-lickers are something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    You claimed that it was just an insult, but it went much further than that. Your assumptions and suppositions are irrelevant.
    Nope just seemed like an insult that went much further after he kept pressing the issue. If he hadn't of provoked him it wouldn't have been an issue. You can't insult someone and then expect them to sit there and not respond with their own insult.
    Last edited by Jettisawn; 2019-12-07 at 07:43 AM.