printer ink question.

hello guys , so i have HP officejet pro 8620 and ran out of ink but the cartridge pack is 125 euro on shop , (951 xl) , is there an alternative that isnt awful and not this expensive?

also moved to a new place and had to run a 20m+ (more or less) cable to my office room since no internet outlet there ,and my internet speed dropped by half (from 90-100mbps to 40-50mbps range) i was wondering what is better , to get ethernet cable or one of those plug in adopters (not sure what you call em? dual link?) and how reliable are they? and which cable is best? i saw there are different categories such as cat5-e , cat6 and cat7.

apology if my questions sound stupid and thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    As for the first one, the only ones I can easily find are: https://www.amazon.com/LxTek-Compati.../dp/B0722JFTPP
    You'd be looking at HP 950/951 compatible cartridges. Try looking around. That said, probably won't have a lot of luck. Printer makers make most of the money on the ink, not the machines themselves. It sucks, but that's just how the market is, and as long as that's how they make money, they'll try very hard to make sure you won't be able to get them elsewhere.

As for the ethernet troubles: CAT5 and above should all be capable of doing 100mb/s over 100 meters. CAT5e should be able to do 1gb/s at around 20 meters, more if it's good quality. CAT6 can do gigabit at 100 meters, with CAT6a and CAT7 being able to do 10 gigabit at 100 meters. You either have a very low quality cable, or something below CAT5 if your speeds dropped that much.
    As for going wireless: Depends how much stuff, how many walls, and what all that stuff is made out of. In my case, I'm about 5-6 meters away, but I have a half-meter concrete wall in between me and the router, so my WiFi speeds are shit, but my ethernet speeds (over a 30 meter CAT6 cable because that's what they had in stock) are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    As for the first one, the only ones I can easily find are: https://www.amazon.com/LxTek-Compati.../dp/B0722JFTPP
    You'd be looking at HP 950/951 compatible cartridges. Try looking around. That said, probably won't have a lot of luck. Printer makers make most of the money on the ink, not the machines themselves. It sucks, but that's just how the market is, and as long as that's how they make money, they'll try very hard to make sure you won't be able to get them elsewhere.

As for the ethernet troubles: CAT5 and above should all be capable of doing 100mb/s over 100 meters. CAT5e should be able to do 1gb/s at around 20 meters, more if it's good quality. CAT6 can do gigabit at 100 meters, with CAT6a and CAT7 being able to do 10 gigabit at 100 meters. You either have a very low quality cable, or something below CAT5 if your speeds dropped that much.
    As for going wireless: Depends how much stuff, how many walls, and what all that stuff is made out of. In my case, I'm about 5-6 meters away, but I have a half-meter concrete wall in between me and the router, so my WiFi speeds are shit, but my ethernet speeds (over a 30 meter CAT6 cable because that's what they had in stock) are fine.
    thank you , but i meant one of those adopters that you can plug into powerline and and plug a small ethernet cable into pc. does that keep the speed good or is ethernet direct to pc is better? the 1st option is easier for me but if that affects speed etc i dont wanna spend 80ish euro on it.

also cheaper ink would work fine? or print gonna be very bad?
    Last edited by acegaming90; 2019-12-07 at 02:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by acegaming90 View Post
    thank you , but i meant one of those adopters that you can plug into powerline and and plug a small ethernet cable into pc. does that keep the speed good or is ethernet direct to pc is better? the 1st option is easier for me but if that affects speed etc i dont wanna spend 80ish euro on it.
    Depends on how the power is set up in your house. If they're on the same breaker it'll be fine, if not it really comes down to how far the power cables have to run.
    also cheaper ink would work fine? or print gonna be very bad?
    I don't know really. Depends on the ink

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't imagine that there isn't a good one out there, however I have never, not once, been able to get a powerline adapter working 'well', ever. I've installed probably about 20-30 of them in various houses, various brands and models, and they all suck. 20% of them just don't work, and the others are just plain worse than wifi mostly.

If the way to get them to work well is 'get an expensive one, and also build a house right now so the wiring is new' .. that doesn't seem a very viable option.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

If you can use cable, use cable. Powerline are a poor substitute used only when you have to, think about it, powerline is trying to mimic having data cable by using the electrical circuit - you will get interference and other loss.

You may just have a mis-punched cable or just not all pair combined.
    Are you using CCA/CCS which is commonly sold on amazon (Copper Clad Aluminium/Steel) this is inferior, buy pure copper. As Temp says above Cat5E will be fine for your run).

Your internet speed dropping could be unrelated to the cable, check on the router is that in sync at the full speed?

As for the printer, you can use compatible ink but it will void any warranty on the printer, sometimes the ink is thicker and won't work at all sometimes the ink works perfectly. It's often cheaper to buy a new printer than to pay for new official ink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endorus View Post
    As for the printer, you can use compatible ink but it will void any warranty on the printer, sometimes the ink is thicker and won't work at all sometimes the ink works perfectly. It's often cheaper to buy a new printer than to pay for new official ink.
    It's worth noting that you don't get full cartridges of ink when buying a new printer. You only get like 20-40% full ones.

Agree that buying a new printer will be best solution

10+ Year Old Account
    For reference, if you're gonna buy a new printer, spend a few extra bucks and get a cheap laser printer. It will end up costing less in the long run.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    For reference, if you're gonna buy a new printer, spend a few extra bucks and get a cheap laser printer. It will end up costing less in the long run.
    WAY less.

We have two - a color laser printer that we almost never use that ive literally never bought a toner cartridge set for - that cost us ~175$ US. It can do about 10ppm in color.

We bought a faster B&W model. It gets about 3-4000 pages per toner cartridge, and the cartridges cost 30-40$. Or you can buy toner and reload them (messy unless you know what youre doing, but my wife has gotten good at it) for even cheaper. That cost us... 129$.

Inkjets are pretty terrible, IMO.

hello guys , so i have HP officejet pro 8620 and ran out of ink but the cartridge pack is 125 euro on shop , (951 xl) , is there an alternative that isnt awful and not this expensive?

also moved to a new place and had to run a 20m+ (more or less) cable to my office room since no internet outlet there ,and my internet speed dropped by half (from 90-100mbps to 40-50mbps range) i was wondering what is better , to get ethernet cable or one of those plug in adopters (not sure what you call em? dual link?) and how reliable are they? and which cable is best? i saw there are different categories such as cat5-e , cat6 and cat7.

apology if my questions sound stupid and thank you
    What did you run the cable next to? You did not run in parallel to an electric cable, did you? This can affect speed via interference. Is the cable run across or near things like microwaves, ac units, electric motors, or Fluorescent lighting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Woop. This pinged me because I posted on it before. CLosing as its six months old.