Page 1 of 15
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why is this community considered "extremely toxic"?

    The same doesn't seem to apply to the retail community and its the same game after all.

  2. #2
    I disagree in that it doesn't apply to retail.
    In my experience,the classic community is several orders of magnitude better than the retail one.
    Sure,there are still a lot of assholes and it's nowhere near perfect,but it doesn't seem even close to how bad it is on retail.

    Then again,it probably depends on the realm you're playing on

  3. #3
    It also applies to retail.

    In my experience, the classic community is becoming worse and worse by the day and this is being perceived by the player base, which is why people will feel that it's more toxic than Retail. In truth, it's as much - if not more - toxic than Retail's right now, but both are very toxic. At least there are still a lot of cool players in both communities. It doesn't make it perfect, but it isn't League of Legends' tier.

    It also depends on the realm you are playing on, which makes it very hard to gauge how "toxic" one or other is, and kinda pointless since each player experiences this community differently.

  4. #4
    The community was rather friendly in the beginning. I guess it was because people had been talking for so long how "classic has great community" etcetc., So people had their act together in the beginning and were nice. Now after a few months people are being people again and the community is just like in retail.

  5. #5
    My experience with the classic community was pretty positive. I don't know what everyone is on about.

  6. #6
    Yea, i find everyone to be extremely helpful, even with the most unexpected things.

  7. #7
    Well, the community isn’t really toxic. MMOC forums are the worst though. It’s extremely toxic here.
    Forum discussions are almost completely worthless to developers. It is a bunch of uninformed idiotic users screaming their untested crappy ass ideas over everyone else. Real data comes from studying what people do in game, how they react to changes, etc.

  8. #8
    I am not sure I have played an mmo in the last 5 years where the community wasnt toxic. It might be us and not the games

  9. #9
    Do your part, try to become a good example, and you will see others follow. It is up to the players to make the community great, no one else.
    "You will become my force of retribution. Where you tread, doom will follow. Go now, and claim your destiny, Death Knight."

  10. #10
    I have yet to see these toxic players myself. Maybe there is a huge difference in PvE and PvP realms, I assume people are nicer in PvE where we don't have to deal with ganking. I've seen way worse in retail lately, like in some AV matches where people just argue in chat all the time and act like a total sperg. Then again we always had a rather toxic community, its just that at least Classic encourages you to play nicer because your realm status was much more of a thing.

  11. #11
    It definetly became one hell of a lot better on retail since classic release. Like it washed a lot of crap to the sewers.

    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I have yet to see these toxic players myself. Maybe there is a huge difference in PvE and PvP realms, I assume people are nicer in PvE where we don't have to deal with ganking. I've seen way worse in retail lately, like in some AV matches where people just argue in chat all the time and act like a total sperg. Then again we always had a rather toxic community, its just that at least Classic encourages you to play nicer because your realm status was much more of a thing.
    Yes, PvE realms are completely different from my own experience. Way freindlier community. On PvP realms there a lot shitholes that just want to destroy your gaming experience. On PvE realms most people just want to play the game.

  12. #12
    Players are cool beans in-game and toxic assholes on forums, especially here. It gives the impression of being toxic overall unfortunately.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by dojichan View Post
    I am not sure I have played an mmo in the last 5 years where the community wasnt toxic. It might be us and not the games

    In my experience, gamers are (and have always been) a pretty cranky lot. This observation goes all the way back to pre-internet days... hell, now that I think about it, even pre-computer days with pen and paper RPGs.

    New computer games usually get calm tempers for a while (as long as the game does not appear to be unplayable crap or a blatant cash grab)... but usually within a year or two even the best games start seeing forum anger that blooms quickly into full-fledged rage.

    If I had to guess, I would put most of the blame on the competitive aspect of gaming. But disillusionment plays a big part too. Too many people think gaming is a bit more important than it ever turns out to be.
    Last edited by Wingspan; 2019-12-07 at 07:29 PM.

  14. #14
    Elemental Lord clevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Other Side of Azeroth
    Posts
    8,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    My experience with the classic community was pretty positive. I don't know what everyone is on about.
    Same. If your standard is "no assholes or anything else I dislike ever" then, well, that's silly. it also depends on what you're doing. PUG raiding? Yeah, you're more likely to run into the "OMG you play a non-optimal spec?!?!" crowd there, for the same reason that people want high item level in retail - they want a smooth run and don't know you.

    But aside from that and random jerk wads, Classic has been pretty nice. Some of that is that you tend to find advantage in interacting with people due to the nature of the game more in classic than in retail. There can be level appropriate quests that are very hard to solo, so if someone else is around it's a good idea to ask them if they're doing that quest and, if so, group. Retail doesn't really have those.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    The same doesn't seem to apply to the retail community and its the same game after all.
    It's the same people. It applies to both.

  16. #16
    If you're on a pvp server, Classic community is toxic as fuck.
    It's better on normal server

  17. #17
    Classic so far is good, but retail BFA is horrible. I guess it just depends on what kind of people you stumble upon. It's full of jerks. I saw a guy boosting and helping others with quests and dungeons, and the 3 people he was helping (and me, i was number 4) started to curse him big time.

    Once the boosting was over, the guy was like "cya guys I hope you had fun, i can boost you some other time too if u want, so just call me etc" and the 3 others he helped.. were SUPER BRUTAL. No thank you or anything, just cursing and wishing him horrible things. I swear that i got so shocked xD I was speechless.

    But ye, Dota, Heroes, League, Counter strike.. all have worse communities. WAY WAY worse.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by dojichan View Post
    I am not sure I have played an mmo in the last 5 years where the community wasnt toxic. It might be us and not the games
    I play Final Fantasy XIV and that community is amazing. I've met like 2 unpleasant individuals in 5 years or so and everyone else has been decent, helpful and friendly.

  19. #19
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    20,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    The same doesn't seem to apply to the retail community and its the same game after all.
    Because the classic community has a superiority complex they have had for over a decade "classic is so much better then retail you sheep"
    pair that with classic just right out having a playstyle that encourges toxicity, because the most powerful people stay in power, where in retail if your being an asshole, people will just... leave your guild and go to another, or just join other servers/pug to other servers. but in classic if its the best guild on the server, lead by a bunch of assholes? wel.... you cant change servers so.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-12-14 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Being racist is not wrong. It is a lifestyle that you don't approve of. Being racist isn't even illegal, and it never will be.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    The same doesn't seem to apply to the retail community and its the same game after all.
    Try Joining a Mythic + or pug raid as any class not in the top 5-8.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •