Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are people not open minded about getting into new things?

Most of the people who play Dungeons & Dragons in my city are these cute stick thin nerds who are really intelligent, well dressed, and into English literature!

Why can’t more jock and party girl type people get into intellectual and geek stuff?

Does American public education stamp out intelligence and imagination for the vast majority of youth?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't more geek type people get into jock and party stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Jocks already have their own version of Dungeons and Dragons -- they call it Fantasy Football.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because then they wouldn't be jocks and party girls. Also, I knew a lot of jocks who were into D&D. And D&D is hardly "intellectual", plenty of grogs have played it for decades as nothing more than a semi-veiled-racism game of "kill the bla..I mean orcs". You know all those asshat incel white-supremecist types who bitch about the new Star Wars movies? They're REAL PEOPLE at the D&D table, JFC it's disgusting, at least take a shower before being a racist POS.

also this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Jocks already have their own version of Dungeons and Dragons -- they call it Fantasy Football.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Because then they wouldn't be jocks and party girls. Also, I knew a lot of jocks who were into D&D. And D&D is hardly "intellectual", plenty of grogs have played it for decades as nothing more than a semi-veiled-racism game of "kill the bla..I mean orcs". You know all those asshat incel white-supremecist types who bitch about the new Star Wars movies? They're REAL PEOPLE at the D&D table, JFC it's disgusting, at least take a shower before being a racist POS.

also this:
    You actually managed to decide D&D is racist? lmao at people in this place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    How does this surprise you? You've been here long enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How does this surprise you? You've been here long enough.
    I'm an optimist, I tend to believe with all the information available at peoples finger tips these days they'd come up with some insightful erudite comment, not somehow draw the conclusion that people playing D&D are all racists.

But yea, I guess it doesn't surprise me, it just makes me do a facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not exactly news buddy. D&D, especially older editions have heavy racist and sexist overtones. Part of which is a result of drawing upon classical myths and legends, which were often based on local prejudices and the fact that D&D was created in a time by white men who just thought that was OK. D&D has gotten significantly better over the years.

Being a hobby often played by anti-social types it is not uncommon to find "incel" sorts and the type of people who make up much of the alt-right who enjoy the racist overtones from older editions and push them in new games. Racism and sexism within both the materials and the players has been a HUGE problem, particularly in recent years as the game has attempted to change and draw in more minority and female gamers.

Seriously there are tons of articles on the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm an optimist, I tend to believe with all the information available at peoples finger tips these days they'd come up with some insightful erudite comment, not somehow draw the conclusion that people playing D&D are all racists.
    I didn't say they all were. JFC stop lying.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Re-read your post, it certainly reads that way to the casual observer. DFC
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-12-08 at 02:00 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The OP should be on auto-ban, honestly. "In this episode, CmdDisphit declares some demographics as lacking 'intelligence and imagination'".

It's not exactly news buddy. D&D, especially older editions have heavy racist and sexist overtones. Part of which is a result of drawing upon classical myths and legends, which were often based on local prejudices and the fact that D&D was created in a time by white men who just thought that was OK. D&D has gotten significantly better over the years.

Being a hobby often played by anti-social types it is not uncommon to find "incel" sorts and the type of people who make up much of the alt-right who enjoy the racist overtones from older editions and push them in new games. Racism and sexism within both the materials and the players has been a HUGE problem, particularly in recent years as the game has attempted to change and draw in more minority and female gamers.

Interestingly, most of the "articles" on the first page searching on the subject are by half-witted, virtue-signalling types who have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Sure, you'll find some people with questionable morals who play, but attempting to blame the game and not those players is idiotic, at best. The reality is that D&D is driven by stories and settings created by the player(s). They don't necessarily represent the real life world views of the creator anymore than DiCaprio is a real-life racist for playing Calvin Candie in Django Unchained.

Additionally, judging a medieval, fantasy world by the standards of modern real life is about as fucking as stupid as you can get. "Kill all orcs" is not "racist", because it isn't about "Orcs" being "Orcs", it's about "Orcs" being evil. Not to mention that "Orc" isn't a real race. If anyone thinks it's intended to represent "Black", well, they're fucking idiots. As far as "sexism" goes, that's a staple of any medieval setting and more often than not, it's part of the challenge of a story (ie, it's predominantly the "bad guys"). Bitching about it is just as stupid as the people who bitched about how Peggy Carter was treated in Agent Carter.

Finally, calling D&D a game for "anti-social types", when it's a game that requires multiple players, thus making it inherently a social game, is pretty fucking hilarious. It's clear you have your bias and based on your comments, it seems like the bold/underlined part is the culprit. But that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. Just keep in mind that it's completely and utterly irrelevant.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2019-12-08 at 07:30 PM.

Before the internet existed, you really had to work with the hand you were dealt. You couldn’t just hop online and connect with other people who had the same interests as you. You were almost forced to work alongside your fellow man, despite your differences, for at least a brief period in your life.

Now we can wrap ourselves in our own echo chambers, surrounded only by things that make us comfortable. Increasingly new things become scary, or wrong, or uninteresting, so we don’t expand our horizons as much.

This is a symptom of the internet.

Shut up, nerd!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I just can't wrap my head around fantasy football...

- - - Updated - - -

Complaining about racism when you are racist yourself :thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Before the internet existed, you really had to work with the hand you were dealt. You couldn’t just hop online and connect with other people who had the same interests as you. You were almost forced to work alongside your fellow man, despite your differences, for at least a brief period in your life.

Now we can wrap ourselves in our own echo chambers, surrounded only by things that make us comfortable. Increasingly new things become scary, or wrong, or uninteresting, so we don’t expand our horizons as much.

This is a symptom of the internet.
    Rubbish, this has always existed. The whole reason why we make fun of old people that can't adapt is because human nature hates change to the unfamiliar. This also doesn't tackle the (insane) OP at all, since in the age before the internet all that would have happened is that people, who are into niche hobbies, would have just been ostracised. They would have had to get along with everyone else and not been able to do their hobby at all in most cases.

The whole topic is also laughable, in an age where comic book movies and "(fake) new age geekdom" has become mainstream, complaining about people not getting into one of the most niche of hobbies ever is just a grandiose display of unjustified whining. Since the OP is a caricature, this is probably not as surprising as one might think, but playing pretend has nothing to do with intelligence. As others have mentioned, the "dumb" jocks do that themselves with their fantasy football shit. In fact, this whole thread is probably just some thinnly veiled attempt to play out the OP's roleplay of being character that is obsessed with cheerleaders for some reason. As Mistame mentioned, the mmo-c DMs should have probably taken away his character sheet along time ago.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Why aren't you, OP, more open minded about people not being open minded?

D&D is intellectual now?

One method people use to feel better about themselves is to put others down. If that person becomes a jock, they make fun of nerds. If that person becomes a nerd, they make fun of jock. Over time, it can give the appearance that the groups never mix and can cause rivalries in some cases.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

*shrugs*
    There was a guy I used to know that only seemed to live for beer and his boat on the weekends. And more beer
    He couldn't fathom how (let alone why) I don't drink. It was as if he couldn't conceive of thinking above his waistline...his imagination just seemed too limited.

That's a false dichotomy predicated on stereotyping people. I was a party animal back in my WoW/MTG heyday.

Kids will have a positive experience doing something, and then keep doing that all their lives because it made them feel good once. That's why, as a parent, it is important to make sure that positive experience is something that will make them productive citizens. And that's a big reason why you keep drugs and alcohol away from kids, because if that positive moment is from those things, you have just created a lifelong addict.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.