Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Swinging from lightning bolts... now that's a concept I never thought of.
    Probably because it's IMPOSSIBRU!

If you get your magic lasso, you can swing from lightning. Certainly easier to "believe" than many other comic movie methods.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    1980's nostalgia - check
    Blue Monday - check
    Kinda feels like a rip-off of Atomic Blonde. Minus the acting.

DC just seems like it's still a step behind. This wave of 1980's nostalgia peaked like 2 years ago. At least Captain Marvel tried to be a little different and tried some 90's nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I can't fucking stand that slow motion action crap that they love jamming into these WW movies. It's almost as bad as unintelligible shaky cam action. It just feels like the director screaming at you "looooook hoooowww cooooool thiiiiiis iiiiiiiiisss". As good as the rest of the trailer looks, these scenes just kill it for me.
    Basically that "one neat trick" that's in every Zack Snyder movie.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    1980's nostalgia - check
    Blue Monday - check

DC just seems like it's still a step behind. This wave of 1980's nostalgia peaked like 2 years ago. At least Captain Marvel tried to be a little different and tried some 90's nostalgia.
    There's nothing wrong with a period piece set in the 80's. Plenty of people who are going to see this movie weren't even alive or old enough to remember that era, so nostalgia isn't the only draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Looks decent enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    No anti-male lines, no anti-white lines.

Ok, has my stamp of approval.

Trying to derail to Forbidden/Off Topic Discussion isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Lol I mean he's not wrong.. did he rly get infracted for that?

Looks pretty cool actually..how is dude still alive tho? In the end of the trailer it seems he's pulled a captain america because he didn't know break dancers or wtf a trash can was. I dunno if its actually a good thing they brought him back, totally takes away meaning of his sacrifice and its copypasta of what we've seen before in marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    1980's nostalgia - check
    Blue Monday - check

Basically that "one neat trick" that's in every Zack Snyder movie.
    Cpt marvel was trash , brie is trash, and nostalgia pieces are all good no matter the year if you've lived through them. I can imagine it being weird if you get none of the references though.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2019-12-10 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Looks pretty cool actually..how is dude still alive tho? In the end of the trailer it seems he's pulled a captain america because he didn't know break dancers or wtf a trash can was. I dunno if its actually a good thing they brought him back, totally takes away meaning of his sacrifice and its copypasta of what we've seen before in marvel.
    That has me wondering.
    And I hope it's some sort of clever plot device rather than some retread.
    Patty Jenkins does seem to like Chris Pine though.

- - - Updated - - -

On a related note; 'Wonder Woman' Director Patty Jenkins Considering Amazon Spinoff

“The movie is done. Because it doesn't come out for a few months, for the first time in my career which is so great, I was able to say, ‘Hey guys, can you let me fiddle with this? Can you let me fiddle with that?’ So I'm fiddling but the movie is technically done.”

As to what form that fiddling takes, Jenkins was willing to tease. “I have an idea and I'm like, maybe it would make [the movie] shorter. We're not going to officially say [how long the movie is] yet, however it's in a good territory.” (She was willing to reveal that the first cut was 2 hours and 45 minutes, adding, “It wasn't like three hours and a half; I’m not that kind of filmmaker.”)

“It was interesting that so many scenes that we set out to shoot, then something great would happen and then we would expand upon it and definitely with the action, what some things that were written to be very small little moments turned into, ‘But that's so awesome,’” she continued. “It’s hard when you end up with that situation.”

The stunts weren’t easy for Gadot, she admitted, but she felt compelled to do them because of her close relationship with Jenkins.

“She's one of my very best, closest friends and it's hard for me to say no to her. Also, she has a great will," said Gadot. "I'll find myself trying to negotiate my stance with Patty and she'd be like, ‘yeah, yeah yeah, I see what you're saying, I know, but don't you think it's going to be so much better if…’ Those were the moments where I was like, ‘argh…!’ The physical moments, because it is hard, and I have found myself with many different spine injuries because shooting this movie, for real. But at the same time, it's worth it. And watching the movie now a few times, it's totally, totally worth it.”

Both Barbara Ann Minerva (Kristin Wiig) and Maxwell Lord (Pedro Pascal) represent different takes on the idea of the opulence of the ‘80s, Jenkins said, describing them as “two very strong forms of want and what happens when you want so much.”

“We actually already know the whole story to it,” Jenkins revealed, adding that there’s also a story for a spinoff focusing on the Amazons on the table as well. “It’s just a matter of, will we change our minds, and when [to make it]. I think what we don't want to do is do it back to back. It's been great doing these two movies back to back, but I think it's important to give it a little rest in between. And I like doing other things in between. And Gal has other things to do. I never want to make decisions too far in advance. We have to see if we both feel like making the movie we think we want to make when the moment comes.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That has me wondering.
    And I hope it's some sort of clever plot device rather than some retread.
    Patty Jenkins does seem to like Chris Pine though.
    Well chris pine is pretty awesome so I'm not complaining, I don't expect some major reason or plot device lol they could so they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    A God of War shattered by the war of the gods and lacking most of his original power? I figured him for Ares pretty quickly, and didn't care for the final battle a whole lot, so not saying it was great by any means. It wasn't a full power Ares though, hence why he wanted Diana to work with him to achieve the goals he wasn't strong enough to do himself. To then throw special effects at each other sort of undercuts that theme a bit, but oh well.

He's not the Ares that took on Zeus, he's the Ares after defeating Zeus and suffering the consequences. I do hope that doesn't preclude other gods though, but I think they've correctly focused on "super powers on Earth" rather than "battle of the gods". (Which, again, makes the CGI god battle a bit off-point.)
    I was talking about the actor not being believable, I've only ever seen him in roles of intellectuals, scholars, physically weak villains etc.
    As someone not familiar with the comics, it was clear as day that they went with said actor so as to not make it clear to first-time viewers of the story that he was the villain.

And yes, I figured him as the villain instantly anyway. Same as I knew exactly how WW would "access her true powers" the moment pretty-boy Chris Pine came into the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I was talking about the actor not being believable, I've only ever seen him in roles of intellectuals, scholars, physically weak villains etc.
    As someone not familiar with the comics, it was clear as day that they went with said actor so as to not make it clear to first-time viewers of the story that he was the villain.
    Right, I'm just saying that him being physically weak fits the narrative as an Ares that has been broken. Of course, that's most likely not his "real" form anyway, since he doesn't look Greek, but none of them do, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I can't fucking stand that slow motion action crap that they love jamming into these WW movies. It's almost as bad as unintelligible shaky cam action. It just feels like the director screaming at you "looooook hoooowww cooooool thiiiiiis iiiiiiiiisss". As good as the rest of the trailer looks, these scenes just kill it for me.
    Thank Zack Snyder and all the people who loved 300's style. It is annoying as hell. To me slow motion should be used sparingly, especially with speedsters. I mean, I know Diana is superhuman fast, but it's not one of her most noted attributes.

On topic, the trailer looks good. No signs of Cheetah, but I expect her to be fierce and menacing versus being Catwoman lite as she's often portrayed. Lassoing lightning to me seemed goofy, but maybe in context it'll be a cool moment. Also hoping Steve Trevor's return is actually part of the plot with ramifications on the story and a payoff, and not just a lazy resurrection or reincarnation because they wanted Chris Pine back or already had him signed. It'd be a cool way to introduce Dr. Fate or something of mystical nature.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    If you get your magic lasso, you can swing from lightning. Certainly easier to "believe" than many other comic movie methods.
    Sorry, no. Definitely not easier to believer than many other comic movie methods. The Hulk's super jump is *far* easier to believe.

I don't see this as any more believable than Superman just plain flying "because". WW can lasso a lightning strike (which lasts 30 microseconds) to pull herself where she wants to go. The invisible jet with unlimited fuel is far, *far* more plausible.

As for the movie overall, I will probably give it a pass in theaters and catch it streaming instead. No need for Steve Trevor to come back (and I really don't want to know the stupid rationalization of how that was managed anyways), and CGI looks decent half the time and absolutely atrocious / wonky the other half of the time.

I enjoyed the first 2 acts of WW, but was rolling my eyes with the 3rd act...it took so much away from an otherwise great movie. This movie looks like they are doubling down on the 3rd act nonsense instead of focusing on what made the first WW great.

WW can fly in the comic books....maybe she'll learn how in this movie. Although lassoing lightning is fairly spectacular.

10+ Year Old Account
    DC are so good when it comes to their trailers and cover songs they use in them.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Sorry, no. Definitely not easier to believer than many other comic movie methods. The Hulk's super jump is *far* easier to believe.

I don't see this as any more believable than Superman just plain flying "because". WW can lasso a lightning strike (which lasts 30 microseconds) to pull herself where she wants to go. The invisible jet with unlimited fuel is far, *far* more plausible.
    Not easier to believe than ALL comic methods, certainly. I watched a thing one time where Stan Lee was saying Marvel's methods were better since Thor threw his hammer and held onto it, vs Superman just flying. Of course, there were plenty of telekinetic fliers in Marvel and stuff. The worst with Superman's flight is when they TRY to explain it. Like, he jumps farther and farther or stuff... but flight isn't jumping! Just as Thor's hammer isn't just "being thrown" since it's a magic hammer that returns to him. Of course, whether Thor rode lightning in Ragnarok is debateable.

What I was thinking of myself was actually the many times that Spiderman spit webs into nothingness in order to swing around in open areas. Certainly a lot of his material makes sure he's actually throwing webs to a building or something, but plenty of material just had a vague "shoot into the air and swing".

I enjoyed the first 2 acts of WW, but was rolling my eyes with the 3rd act...it took so much away from an otherwise great movie. This movie looks like they are doubling down on the 3rd act nonsense instead of focusing on what made the first WW great.
    Out of curiosity, just the Ares battle or the entire encounter with the german guy and the steve-blowup and whatnot?

Not easier to believe than ALL comic methods, certainly. I watched a thing one time where Stan Lee was saying Marvel's methods were better since Thor threw his hammer and held onto it, vs Superman just flying. Of course, there were plenty of telekinetic fliers in Marvel and stuff. The worst with Superman's flight is when they TRY to explain it. Like, he jumps farther and farther or stuff... but flight isn't jumping! Just as Thor's hammer isn't just "being thrown" since it's a magic hammer that returns to him. Of course, whether Thor rode lightning in Ragnarok is debateable.
    I liked in the The Boys series when Homelander explained he couldn't stop the airplane as he didn't have any grip on anything. It was a beautiful middle finger to something that bothered me recently : Aquaman pushing the submarine to the surface without any grip on anything. That was as insane as Superman flying/hovering just like that.

Regarding Thor I'm a bit more perplex though. Most of the times, Mjölnir behaves quite normally : Thor throws it, and he recalls it, that's it, I'm fine with it. But sometimes (Ragnarok), he can make Mjölnir turn in a circle and this is a lot weirder to me.

I wasn't bothered by WW lassoing lightning. We don't even have the full picture, if she's lassoing random lightnings, that's a feat because you have to anticipate them as well. But if they're summoned by whoever (herself, an ally, an artifact), I can get behind that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not going to see but it looks really fun. It could also be a disaster so let see what happens.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Lol I mean he's not wrong.. did he rly get infracted for that?

Cpt marvel was trash , brie is trash, and nostalgia pieces are all good no matter the year if you've lived through them. I can imagine it being weird if you get none of the references though.
    Brie isn't even half the woman Gal Gadot is. She's an entitled brat.

Brie: 'It's not for you'
    Elizabeth Banks: 'Men don't want to see action women'
    Gal: 'It's for everyone'

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    I liked in the The Boys series when Homelander explained he couldn't stop the airplane as he didn't have any grip on anything. It was a beautiful middle finger to something that bothered me recently : Aquaman pushing the submarine to the surface without any grip on anything. That was as insane as Superman flying/hovering just like that.
    Don't need grip for sub. Just balance.
    And if he did need grip, he could dig his fingers in. (Homelander is just a pussy anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Seems like they wanted to copy the Thor theme.
    /facepalm.

Jack Kirby isnt 80s. Its his own style.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.