Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    7/10

Some cringe and forced moments but entertaining enough.
    I'd even give it 8/10. It was just entertaining to watch even though I agree with some criticism, like using that guys body to do.. things. But then again I never got bored and that's what really counts.

I have to chime in and agree with the entire body-snatch plot, I was literally looking around to see if others were as sceptic about it as myself, but it's difficult to gauge. My brothers and dad hadn't reacted to it as anything odd though, not until I brought it up after the viewing was over...

Bah, humbug. It's at times like those that I wish we could decide to pay after the movie. Would only work if people were inherently honest, but still...

Maybe in 4 years time they'll release a "DiReCtOrS CuT LoL!". Not that something like that would save this movie.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-01-01 at 01:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Gelannerai
    Anything that Snyder touches turns to Gold.

5/10 - very bad compared to the first, VERY cheesy, not good enough CGI, moderately entertaining nonetheless. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I suppose I was more disappointed with Jenkins than anything else.
    I’d read Star Wars fans were trying to get her pulled from Rogue Squadron. A few hours ago I would have told you that was absurd. Now? I can’t say I blame them. This film was a mess. I’m now putting her in the same category as Snyder: keep them away from things I like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I’d read Star Wars fans were trying to get her pulled from Rogue Squadron. A few hours ago I would have told you that was absurd. Now? I can’t say I blame them. This film was a mess. I’m now putting her in the same category as Snyder: keep them away from things I like.
    SW fans are insane. The small percentage of rabid ones at least. She has what? Same director made the critically acclaimed WW1 and Monster. WW84 is ass but people need to relax as if Filoni and Fav don't also have duds.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I thought her raping someone was just a meme but I looked it up and it actually fucking happens. A superhero rapes someone in their own movie. Wtf
    It's more complicated (and much worse) than just that. The sex isn't the actual "rape". I mean, technically, the current occupant of the body was a willing participant in the sexual intercourse. The "rape" happens when Steve takes control of another man's body. And the real problem is Diana never seems to think twice that an innocent person was erased from existence to bring her boyfriend back from the dead.

It's a completely unforced error too. There was no plot reason why Steve had to possess another man's body. The Dreamstone could simply have re-created Steve in his original body...or, if they really wanted it, given him a brand new body created just for him. Had they done it that way...it would have changed absolutely nothing about how the movie plays out. Diana would still have had to renounce her wish and Steve would have to die again. The only difference would be is that our "Heroes" wouldn't be guilty of murdering an innocent man just so they could be together. If Diana had managed to secure the Dreamstone before Lord got a hold of it... there's no indication at all that she would have ever renounced her wish. There isn't even a moment where she actually acknowledges that an innocent man has been erased from existence just so she can have her man back.

I mean, the very least they could have done was to portray the dude like a complete fucking piece of shit that the world was better off without...and even then it would still be murder. But, for as much as we get to see about the dude in question, he seems like a decent enough human being.

Watched half an hour into it off some streaming website... this was mediocre at best.

The whole "rape" thing...I think needs more thought.
    I mean did anyone realize how corrupting the wish was? And Diana wasn't immune to that. How could she be? She got the person she's been lamenting/mourning for decades. Sure....she's an immortal in love with a mortal, and all the future heartbreaking hell that she knows she'll have to endure. But...for now she didn't see the other guy, and she didn't see anything wrong.

I mean did anyone realize how corrupting the wish was? And Diana wasn't immune to that. How could she be? She got the person she's been lamenting/mourning for decades. Sure....she's an immortal in love with a mortal, and all the future heartbreaking hell that she knows she'll have to endure. But...for now she didn't see the other guy, and she didn't see anything wrong.
    Except she did, chris pine is only for the audience. They went ahead and made it clear what happened. But did not think such an evil act was worth have the hero even acknowledged this is wrong. Also give me a god damn break her one week boy friend from more then 60 years ago.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I didn't get that vibe from the movie; I mean the main villain was a man or a rock, depending on your point of view but yeah didn't pick up on any anti men vibe
    There were two sequences in the movie where every single man in the scene was harassing a woman jogging/walking. Every scene with a man that wasnt Chris Pine was essentially a foaming at the mouth caricature of evil masculinity.

The issue is if you give this more thought then you have to give other parts of the movie more thought. Does a military jet have the fuel to run from the US to Egypt and back? How do they navigate? How do they assault the White House without many many important people not knowing who WW is? On and on and on. The thing is, a bit of clever writing and you can wash all of these concerns away. Instead of going after the US president you instead introduce and go after Lionel Luthor and establish a bit of a high tech baseline in-universe. You use the wish and his and his son’s interaction with WW to set up his son being after the super powered individuals, and the reason Luther has the picture of WW in BvS. It’s small background world building, ties into other movies in a rather innocuous way, and helps the current narrative make more sense. The fact one is to take wish granting at face value and yet the writers still make a mess of it is absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Also give me a god damn break her one week boy friend from more then 60 years ago.
    I think shoehorning in Steve Trevor (or perhaps Chris Pine) set this movie on a bad road to where you had to write in ridiculous nonsense to work him into the movie and play off that. Putting more time into Minerva and Diana, and having a betrayal of her friendship being the issue could have played out much better. This movie needed Steve Trevor about as much as every Batman movie needs Thomas and Martha.

The issue is if you give this more thought then you have to give other parts of the movie more thought. Does a military jet have the fuel to run from the US to Egypt and back? .
    The idea that Trevor...who piloted a single engine bi-plane could fly the plane at all was silly to begin with.

Gotta agree that bringing Trevor back at all was a mistake. But I think that was Jenkins' idea. She seems to have a thing for Chris Pine imo.

As a few reviews ive watched, i came to the conclusion that this film was a shit show behind the scenes. And i really hope someone leaks what really happened to this film.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Gotta agree that bringing Trevor back at all was a mistake.
    That alone was enough to make not want to watch the film. I hate when they do things like that.

Both WW and Capetian America both have something common.

The issue is if you give this more thought then you have to give other parts of the movie more thought. Does a military jet have the fuel to run from the US to Egypt and back? How do they navigate?
    Why would a museum have a fueled plan on a runway at all!

I think shoehorning in Steve Trevor (or perhaps Chris Pine) set this movie on a bad road to where you had to write in ridiculous nonsense to work him into the movie and play off that. Putting more time into Minerva and Diana, and having a betrayal of her friendship being the issue could have played out much better. This movie needed Steve Trevor about as much as every Batman movie needs Thomas and Martha.
    But that's just it, the wish could have just brought Steve back to life as an independent lifeform and it would have encompassed everything they needed from the character. The fact that they introduced this "I'm in his body" thing only complicates things in ways that are not needed at all. Possessing another might fit the monkey paw wish, but again, it was done badly if that's the vantage.

If you go the monkey paw route, you could have him look like Chris Pine, rather than us just seeing what Diana sees. Then as they explore where he woke up, they come to the horrorific realization that he's a body stealing undead monster and there ya go.
    Or, as I mentioned before, if he still looks like real guy, have people talk to him like he's that guy. Have actual consequences!

But, it's the movie of no consequences. Almost destroy the world, but renounce your wish and run off to your kid, no problem. Consequences are bad, let's just ignore them.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

It was out of character for Diana to let Steve take over a body. But to be fair though shes pretty caught up on him and cant seem to move on even after multiple decades and could easily have her pick of partners. But can you blame her? Chris Pine being so dreamy and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post

It's a completely unforced error too. There was no plot reason why Steve had to possess another man's body. The Dreamstone could simply have re-created Steve in his original body...or, if they really wanted it, given him a brand new body created just for him.
    I haven't seen this movie yet, despite having HBO Max, but the point of movies with wishes in them is to teach the lesson "be careful what you wish for." And from the synopsis I've read, the conclusion where she has to let go of Steve (and everyone has to let go of their wish) kinda points to this lesson in a roundabout way - except it doesn't. Cause the motivation to stop the wish isn't internal, it's an externalized threat (the wishes are fueling Pascal's character into destroying the world with nukes) that she has to stop having her wish to stop. If that threat didn't exist, she'd have kept Steve-in-his-skinsuit forever, looking at some dude's random face while only seeing Steve. Which is bizarre, and well, downright villainous/criminal.

The whole point of a wish movie is that you come to the self-realization that what you would wish for isn't better than what you have now, or something nonsensical like that.

Seems like they missed the mark completely on that theme.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I haven't seen this movie yet, despite having HBO Max, but the point of movies with wishes in them is to teach the lesson "be careful what you wish for." And from the synopsis I've read, the conclusion where she has to let go of Steve (and everyone has to let go of their wish) kinda points to this lesson in a roundabout way - except it doesn't. Cause the motivation to stop the wish isn't internal, it's an externalized threat (the wishes are fueling Pascal's character into destroying the world with nukes) that she has to stop having her wish to stop. If that threat didn't exist, she'd have kept Steve-in-his-skinsuit forever, looking at some dude's random face while only seeing Steve. Which is bizarre, and well, downright villainous/criminal.

The whole point of a wish movie is that you come to the self-realization that what you would wish for isn't better than what you have now, or something nonsensical like that.

Seems like they missed the mark completely on that theme.
    Yeah...and it's just a completely avoidable situation.

Instead of the whole "body horror" angle they went with...it could have been something as easy as her wish pulls Steve out of time instants before his death. He materializes in 1984 in his own body...confused as fuck...but with a very strong need to find Diana and the movie could proceed exactly as it does already without any of the morality issues of possessing another humans body.

Also, as an added bonus, it makes it even more tragic when she has to give him up at the end...because she's not sending him back to "heaven" or wherever he was...she's sending him back to die again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    But that's just it, the wish could have just brought Steve back to life as an independent lifeform and it would have encompassed everything they needed from the character. The fact that they introduced this "I'm in his body" thing only complicates things in ways that are not needed at all. Possessing another might fit the monkey paw wish, but again, it was done badly if that's the vantage.
    Yeah, I feel as though it was originally supposed to be more of a thing but at some point they cut out the parts of the film that would have dealt with the morality of Steve possessing another man's body. I don't know why they wouldn't just do some reshoots and remove that angle all-together though.

It really should have been the monkey's paw catch...that for Diana and Steve to be together...they would have to murder an innocent man.