What is the purpose of MMO-Champion?

With news being updated every few days now (compared to everyday on wowhead), guides being pointless with icy-veins, no impressive leaks since Cata, what exactly is the purpose of this website? Is it forums mainly? Generally the forums seem to be full of either some very negative people or it’s extremely moderated to hell.

Is there a feature of the site that makes it useful that I’m not aware of?

Not trying to troll. Genuinely thought about this after checking it for any news on the new expansion or 8.3 and found nothing since last checking it. Meanwhile, some slightly interesting stuff I didn’t know on wowhead. I was like, why do I come here again?

Yeah, the forums you are currently using. Wowhead puts stuff out everyday but it's usually bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is rarely a lot of news during the holidays after years that have a Blizzcon. It's just how it works.

I have no idea what you are suggesting. If there's no news for a few weeks should the site be shut down or what? Forums for the various game will be what they will be. When there is news there will be a post about it. When there isn't any news, then there won't.

Noted: The thread may be in the wrong place since this is more about the site than the game. Answer would be much the same though.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I actually prefer the forums at Blizz. Beyond that, mmo-champ has moved way down the list of websites I check regularly, mostly due to the people here, the way it has turned into a political dumpster and the overall slower news cycle of wow these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    With news being updated every few days now (compared to everyday on wowhead), guides being pointless with icy-veins, no impressive leaks since Cata, what exactly is the purpose of this website? Is it forums mainly? Generally the forums seem to be full of either some very negative people or it’s extremely moderated to hell.

Not trying to troll. Genuinely thought about this after checking it for any news on the new expansion or 8.3 and found nothing since last checking it. Meanwhile, some slightly interesting stuff I didn’t know on wowhead. I was like, why do I come here again?
    Hint: Thread is in the wrong subforum.

On-topic: MMO-champion's purpose is partly what you are doing now - forum and community. News updates is part of its connection to the game world, rooted mostly in certain games.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I would have liked to have seen the place live up to its name and become a news site devoted to MMO's in general rather than be devoted solely to WoW based matters.

MMOChamp is for the forums, plus wowhead likes to spam with "hey we spoke about this thing 2 days ago, heres 1 thing that changed, aswell as ALL THE OLD STUFF"

so most people come to mmochamp for the forums, and info that wowhead dont got, espeiclaly since when datamining comes out, both sites find stuff the other does not.

Forums on the top right of the main page gives pretty good insight into the community even with a passing glance, which is pretty useful in and of itself. It's also incredibly pleasing to look at and draws a lot of attention, visually. It's a lot less friendly and immediately apparent that other sites like WoWhead or IcyVeins even have Forums because they're tucked away and hidden in the UI by comparison. Sometimes differences in site appearance is all it takes to gravitate users one way or another in terms of engagement. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with having multiple sources for your news, guides, leaks, or otherwise. It can reinforce information you're not sure about. Conversation surrounding everything will be different across the web. For example, looking at a guide for a spec can net you different results, and cross-referencing the information can tell you what information is generally agreed upon and what information is tentative. Even if the large strokes are largely the same, fine print on reasoning between sites can sometimes differ, and can grant insight in to how people come to the conclusions they come to when making their guide which can help inform you on understanding these things more.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Forums on the top right of the main page gives pretty good insight into the community even with a passing glance, which is pretty useful in and of itself. It's also incredibly pleasing to look at and draws a lot of attention, visually. It's a lot less friendly and immediately apparent that other sites like WoWhead or IcyVeins even have Forums because they're tucked away and hidden in the UI by comparison. Sometimes differences in site appearance is all it takes to gravitate users one way or another in terms of engagement. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with having multiple sources for your news, guides, leaks, or otherwise. It can reinforce information you're not sure about. Conversation surrounding everything will be different across the web. For example, looking at a guide for a spec can net you different results, and cross-referencing the information can tell you what information is generally agreed upon and what information is tentative. Even if the large strokes are largely the same, fine print on reasoning between sites can sometimes differ, and can grant insight in to how people come to the conclusions they come to when making their guide which can help inform you on understanding these things more.
    I love this answer. Thank you, that is actually very true. I cross reference all the time, and the latest posts at a glance is actually very useful. Appreciate all the responses!

Well, Frank. I hope I can call you Frank?
    You've been a member of this site for over 3 years and you haven't figured out what you use this site for?

I don't think any of us can tell you why you come here agian. It's one of those life conundrums that you'll have to figure out.
    Perhaps a trip to Nepal to meditate with the Zen Masters could aid you unlock this mystery?

Good luck with your quest!
    If you can, please update us with informative blog posts and philosophical musics during your travels!

5+ Year Old Account
    I used to be a lot more active in the past but I've always liked the off topic area.
    I come here solely for Warcraft related news so I don't really care for coverage of other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    A popular forum for discussion of World Of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMana View Post
    Well, Frank. I hope I can call you Frank?
    You've been a member of this site for over 3 years and you haven't figured out what you use this site for?

I don't think any of us can tell you why you come here agian. It's one of those life conundrums that you'll have to figure out.
    Perhaps a trip to Nepal to meditate with the Zen Masters could aid you unlock this mystery?

Good luck with your quest!
    If you can, please update us with informative blog posts and philosophical musics during your travels!
    As was mentioned in my original post and discussed earlier in the thread, I used to come here for the latest news updates and rotation advice. But with the growth of wowhead’s news, icy-veins, and discord, MMO-Champion didn’t seem as relevant anymore yet I still checked it constantly out of habit. A previous poster had a great response though: it’s the forums, and discussion to get a different perspective on things and the latest threads section at the time keep the site relevant.

Hope you enjoyed my update, even though it was already mentioned before your response.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not trying to troll. .... I was like, why do I come here again?
    Only you can decide why you come here... and thats a question you could have asked without involving all of us.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

The site is and always was a discussion forum. We discuss things, using this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Only you can decide why you come here... and thats a question you could have asked without involving all of us.
    Your involvement was your choice. As previously said, I found my answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your involvement was your choice. As previously said, I found my answer.
    Good for you.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The site is and always was a discussion forum. We discuss things, using this forum.
    It used to be a site dedicated to the latest news with good guides and rotation discussion, etc.

It's funny, some people saying it is a discussion forum aren't reading the entire thread before responding (not you personally.) I can understand not doing so if there were several pages of responses, but there is still only one page. Some people just like stating their own perspective without learning the latest info, which is common for the internet in general. But it does remind me why I rarely use this as a discussion forum. Not a lot of discussing, more just who can be the internet wise ass of the day.

This is the best WoW community on the internet. And due to its age, it seems to be a relic of days gone past and has somehow continued to exist in 2019 without the social media-fication that many other established communities have suffered. (See: Reddit.) I complain a lot about the cynical nature of players on this forum but God damn if it isn't a great way to waste time.

Back in the days before Discord and other IM chat servers took over MMO champion used to be a big place for theorycrafters to spitball ideas off eachother, now all that is done on Discord servers. MMO-champion these days are mostly about fan ideas and fan complaints and off-topic things.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!