Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Alliance "You must BREAK THE CYCLE." - Throne of Thunder (2013)

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Fall_of_Shan_Bu

Taran Zhu yells: ENOUGH!! There will be no more bloodshed today.
    Taran Zhu yells: I see now why your Alliance and Horde cannot stop fighting.
    Taran Zhu yells: Every reprisal is itself an act of aggression, and every act of aggression triggers immediate reprisal.

Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: They have undermined EVERY attempt at peace!
    Lor'themar Theron yells: I must protect my sovereign people.

Taran Zhu yells: SILENCE! YOU must break the cycle.
    Taran Zhu yells: It ends TODAY. Here. The cycle ends when you, Regent Lord, and you, Lady Proudmoore, turn from one another. And walk. Away.
    This was the day everything changed.

The Horde & Alliance finally BROKE THE CYCLE, prevented further atrocities and mammoth loss of life, united against a greater monsterous threat that endangered the whole world, and allowed the writers to take the story to bold, new, creative, amazing, and incredibly imaginative directions.

So where were you on the day EVERYTHING CHANGED, when the Horde rediscovered their honor and identity, the Alliance agreed to forgive (but never forget), and both side finally broke the cycle?

And then 3 Expansions later

Man if only.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

And the writing team seemed to forget that this happened until Baine was locked up and people talked about how silly it was for Theron to work with Jaina when material got datamined...

Feels like the writers kind of forgot what we learned from MoP

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Forgot? How when bfa is the garosh 2.0 electric boogalo.

Man, why didn't MoP win a Pulitzer Prize or two? We don't deserve writing this good in a video game.

/s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    No. What we learned from MoP is this (starts at 1:35):

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

"Ours is a cycle of hatred."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ycle_of_Hatred

How deep does this rabbit hole go!?

This is essentially where we are going

The Doctor: You just want cruelty to beget cruelty. You're not superior to people who were cruel to you. You're just a whole bunch of new cruel people. A whole bunch of new cruel people, being cruel to some other people, who'll end up being cruel to you. The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive. Why don't you break the cycle?

Bonnie: Why should we?

The Doctor: What is it that you actually want?

Bonnie: War.

The Doctor: Ah. And when this war is over, when -- when you have the homeland free from humans, what do you think it's going to be like? Do you know? Have you thought about it? Have you given it any consideration? Because you're very close to getting what you want. What's it going to be like? Paint me a picture. Are you going to live in houses? Do you want people to go to work? What'll be holidays? Oh! Will there be music? Do you think people will be allowed to play violins? Who will make the violins? Well? Oh, You don't actually know, do you? Because, just like every other tantruming child in history, Bonnie, you don't actually know what you want. So, let me ask you a question about this brave new world of yours. When you've killed all the bad guys, and it's all perfect and just and fair, when you have finally got it exactly the way you want it, what are you going to do with the people like you? The troublemakers. How are you going to protect your glorious revolution from the next one?

Bonnie: We'll win.

Doctor: Oh, will you? Well maybe -- maybe you will win. But nobody wins for long. The wheel just keepts turning. So, come on. Break the cycle.

Bonnie: Then why are you still talking?

The Doctor: Because I'm trying to get you to see. And I'm almost there.

Bonnie: Do you know what I see, Doctor? A box. A box with everything I need. A 50% chance.

Kate: For us, too.

[The Doctor sighs.]

The Doctor: And we're off! Fingers on buzzers! Are you feeling lucky? Are you ready to play the game? Who's going to be quickest? Who's going to be the luckiest?

Kate: This is not a game!

The Doctor: No, it's not a game, sweetheart, and I mean that most sincerely.

Bonnie: Why are you doing this?

Kate: Yes, I'd like to know that too. You set this up -- why?

The Doctor: Because it's not a game, Kate. This is a scale model of war. Every war ever fought right there in front of you. Because it's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken! How many lives shattered! How much blood will spill until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning -- sit down and talk! Listen to me, listen. I just -- I just want you to think. Do you know what thinking is? It's just a fancy word for changing your mind.

Bonnie: I will not change my mind.

The Doctor: Then you will die stupid. Alternatively, you could step away from that box. You could walk right out of that door, and you could stand your revolution down.

Bonnie: No, I'm not stopping this, Doctor. I started it. I will not stop it. You think they'll let me go after what I've done?

The Doctor: You're all the same, you screaming kids, you know that? "Look at me, I'm unforgivable." Well here's the unforeseeable, I forgive you. After all you've done. I forgive you.

Bonnie: You don't understand. You will never understand.

The Doctor: I don't understand? Are you kidding? Me? Of course I understand. I mean, do you call this a war, this funny little thing? This is not a war. I fought in a bigger war than you will ever know. I did worse things than you could ever imagine, and when I close my eyes... I hear more screams than anyone could ever be able to count! And do you know what you do with all that pain? Shall I tell you where you put it? You hold it tight... Til it burns your hand. And you say this -- no one else will ever have to live like this. No one else will ever have to feel this pain. Not on my watch.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    No. What we learned from MoP is this (starts at 1:35):

Tong is just a waiter?

10+ Year Old Account
    And Yet, here we are.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post

How deep does this rabbit hole go!?

All the way back to 2006.

the same writers that brought us WoD, lmao

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    This is what I have been talking about since BFA's announce. BFA is made by team B, that didn't even know, that two xpacks before that moment we had closed this faction war theme forever. Problem is... Looks like BFA also won't have any long term consequences. Factions won't be united again. And it, again, leaves room for another PVP-biased faction war xpack in a future. This just shows, that lore doesn't matter at all. Blizzard just brake it, how they want, to make it suit their needs. If they would need another PVP-biased xpack, nothing would stop them from pushing faction war again, no matter, how silly new reasons for it would be.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    This is what I have been talking about since BFA's announce. BFA is made by team B, that didn't even know, that two xpacks before that moment we had closed this faction war theme forever. Problem is... Looks like BFA also won't have any long term consequences. Factions won't be united again. And it, again, leaves room for another PVP-biased faction war xpack in a future. This just shows, that lore doesn't matter at all. Blizzard just brake it, how they want, to make it suit their needs. If they would need another PVP-biased xpack, nothing would stop them from pushing faction war again, no matter, how silly new reasons for it would be.
    Except in WoD they worked together and separately in different areas to overthrow the Iron Horde, and then it fell apart in Legion when it was perceived the Horde abandoned the Alliance when they assaulted the Broken Shore.
    Nothing was forgotten, just the broken cycle was repaired due to a misunderstanding. So yeah, it’s completely on “team B” and shorty lore writing. Keep spinning that tale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    This is essentially where we are going.
    The fact that you took the time to write that whole thing gets you a cookie.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

They reference it again with Lor'themar in Nazjatar.

Ye, it took us a while, but FOR REAL THIS TIME.

THIS TIME WITH FEELING.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Except in WoD they worked together and separately in different areas to overthrow the Iron Horde, and then it fell apart in Legion
    You, like many others, have forgotten about the Horde starting an unprovoked war on the Alliance in Ashran (During WoD) over unsubstantiated fear the the Alliance would use the Ancient Artifact there against them, in violation of the peace treaty in place after MoP (and yes, there was an actual treaty, NPC conversations in Stormshield mention it).
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-12-08 at 05:20 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

And it only took almost seven years for the lesson to finally click (at least until the next faction war storyline inevitably breaks out).

Somewhere, Taran Zhu is angrily stomping on his hat.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2019-12-08 at 05:30 AM.