View Poll Results: Would you still raid without drops?

Voters
400. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

126 31.50%
  • NO

274 68.50%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    Title. For those of you who raid, would you still do it if didnt award any loot what-so-ever? No equipment, mounts, transmog, toys etc nada.
    mythic - yes. Under that never. Also that would mean good gear has to come from some other challenging activity (i.e. high m+ (talking 18s and up at this point in wow)
    It's kind same way how we do rated pvp now, no real gear there (at my scrub rating) it's way better to raid mythic for it, so I am basically doing it for fun. Same stuff why I raid. Also PARSES! forgot about that E-penis measure on Wlogs is huge motivation to play.

Once, for the story and the challenge.
    Repeat kills and as an extension, farm raids would disappear.
    As a result, this wouldnt work because everyone would have to do their first raid clear at the same time meaning you miss out if you miss one single week. So this hypothetical situation would quickly fall on its ass.

I dont get much satisfaction out of DBM's; "Boss down in 5 minutes 10 seconds! This is a new record! Your former record was 5 minutes 12 seconds!"

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    Yes. I play for the story.
    Just like the Ulduar achivement is saying: "I love the smell of trolling in the morning".

Warchief
    A good system really adds to the enjoyment of raiding for me. I don't think the current system is any good though. I don't care about drops outside of how they impact my raid performance so if they were gone I wouldn't miss them

What would the incentive be?

If you care about the story, you could just look up online videos of the encounters/cinematics/cutscenes and call it a day. Or run each raid once on something like LFR difficulty. There'd be no point in running anything higher than LFR difficulty, and even then, you wouldn't need to run it more than once ever just to see the story elements.

Maybe some would "enjoy the challenge" of wiping repeatedly before finally downing a boss then having nothing whatsoever to show for it, but I'd wager that most players aren't in that group.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    never dick crazy.
    unless they have tentacles and more then 2 eyes.

of course not, and i don't believe anyone else truly would (for long).

the entire basis of raiding is to "raid" a specific location and plunder the riches. if there's no reward then there's no raid.

yes, but i'd only do each raid once, since there wouldn't be a reason to go back.

I would certainly do heroic, but the cutting edge of mythic raiding would be too painful with the only reward being socialization and completion.

Would you still do M+ if it didn't drop gear? It's a silly question. You do a thing, you get rewarded. That's how all games are. Even something as trivial as Mario, you play you win the princess at the end.

yes but they need to unlock transmog items so i can play farm simulator !

Stood in the Fire EntertainmentNihilist's Avatar
    Would you still drive a car with no seats? Would you eat ice cream if it wasn't frozen? Probably not.

Gear (and other rewards) is a major, key component of raiding. But that doesn't mean we just want a stream of free gear. Just like wanting your ice cream frozen doesn't mean you only want to eat ice.

The core of an rpg is doing good content for rewards. If the content is good, but there are no rewards, it lacks motivation. If there are rewards, but no content, it lacks meaning.

Not only would I not raid anymore, I would instantly quit the game.

I am Murloc!
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    But if your MT or that super God tier Holy Pally that carried the other healers only raided for loot... suddenly that player no longer has a reason to show up for raids. And the whole thing falls apart. That's why this question is ridiculous. It shouldn't be whether you would raid for no loot rewards... it should be do you think you could convince 19 other people to think the same way you do. And if the wide swath of opinions in this thread is any indication... that's very unlikely to happen.
    People also forget that it's never binary "I only care about loot/progress", but a ton of things in between. Even people who are primarily about progress like to be rewarded for downing a challenging boss and getting nice reward - or at least seeing someone else get reward and the TEAM getting stronger as a whole. The whole "we should gear dps'ers first" thing back in ML days was never because healbots didn't care about items, but because it was better for the raid.

That and the OP can get what they want by extending after their very first mythic kill, until Azshara is dead. Which, I imagine, would be a horrendous experience. Things never get any easier, there's no coming back to already beaten boss and crushing them with superior gear. No mechanic ever gets trivialized until Blizzard nerfs it and if something was annoying to deal with - it will continue being so until the tier ends. Even "I only raid for progress" people would start having doubts at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    So you raid till you clear it, then you've lost all interest? May I suggest a different genre of games.
    Why? Why must someone else play like you to enjoy MMOs. One simply does not need to farm raids until they have a full set of BiS or close to it to enjoy 1, raiding, and 2, MMOs.

As I said, they could offer no rewards other than the satisfaction of completion and I would still do it. Gear has never been nor ever will be an incentive. I will say that with one caveat. I do like going into older raids for transmogs. But that is not the argument in question. It is related to player power progression with gear. And again, I come from a time when just beating a game was it's own reward. We didn't need "incentives".

i would, but not mythic or even heroic.

the raiding scene in SWTOR is sort of like that. operations drop gear but only the tip top brand new shit drops the set pieces that are best. other than that i can do veteran (heroic) flashpoints and get the same item level.

its kind of nice. it allows you to focus on the fight and it doesnt leave a sense of dread if you dont kill a boss that drops your loot. i rather like it that way.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    People also forget that it's never binary "I only care about loot/progress", but a ton of things in between. Even people who are primarily about progress like to be rewarded for downing a challenging boss and getting nice reward - or at least seeing someone else get reward and the TEAM getting stronger as a whole. The whole "we should gear dps'ers first" thing back in ML days was never because healbots didn't care about items, but because it was better for the raid.

That and the OP can get what they want by extending after their very first mythic kill, until Azshara is dead. Which, I imagine, would be a horrendous experience. Things never get any easier, there's no coming back to already beaten boss and crushing them with superior gear. No mechanic ever gets trivialized until Blizzard nerfs it and if something was annoying to deal with - it will continue being so until the tier ends. Even "I only raid for progress" people would start having doubts at that point.
    Of course it's nice getting gear. It's nice being able to blast past bosses already conquered with gear from said boss. I would never claim otherwise. I just don't need that as incentive to raid.

Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    Title. For those of you who raid, would you still do it if didnt award any loot what-so-ever? No equipment, mounts, transmog, toys etc nada.
    If WoW was a game without equipment, mounts, transmog, toys etc, sure, I would still raid, but it isn't. So really, to be blunt, you're asking a disingenuous question and I think whatever it is you're trying to prove is fundamentally flawed.

I'll be clear, I don't raid for the gear. I raid because I enjoy raiding. But gear and other rewards are an integral part of the game, and gear is also an integral part of raid progression. So simply removing those rewards from raiding alone would certainly be a massive disincentive to continue raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Of course it's nice getting gear. It's nice being able to blast past bosses already conquered with gear from said boss. I would never claim otherwise. I just don't need that as incentive to raid.
    If you're not raiding for gear, what incentive is there to keep clearing instances and killing bosses?

I am Murloc!
    If you're not raiding for gear, what incentive is there to keep clearing instances and killing bosses?
    Mounts. However, we did get "raid that doesn't really get easier with/doesn't really drop gear" in the form of Uu'nat - and his kill rates speak for themselves.

Fun with my friends.