Poll: Would you still raid without drops?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    yes but they need to unlock transmog items so i can play farm simulator !

Would you still drive a car with no seats? Would you eat ice cream if it wasn't frozen? Probably not.

Gear (and other rewards) is a major, key component of raiding. But that doesn't mean we just want a stream of free gear. Just like wanting your ice cream frozen doesn't mean you only want to eat ice.

The core of an rpg is doing good content for rewards. If the content is good, but there are no rewards, it lacks motivation. If there are rewards, but no content, it lacks meaning.

Not only would I not raid anymore, I would instantly quit the game.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    But if your MT or that super God tier Holy Pally that carried the other healers only raided for loot... suddenly that player no longer has a reason to show up for raids. And the whole thing falls apart. That's why this question is ridiculous. It shouldn't be whether you would raid for no loot rewards... it should be do you think you could convince 19 other people to think the same way you do. And if the wide swath of opinions in this thread is any indication... that's very unlikely to happen.
    People also forget that it's never binary "I only care about loot/progress", but a ton of things in between. Even people who are primarily about progress like to be rewarded for downing a challenging boss and getting nice reward - or at least seeing someone else get reward and the TEAM getting stronger as a whole. The whole "we should gear dps'ers first" thing back in ML days was never because healbots didn't care about items, but because it was better for the raid.

That and the OP can get what they want by extending after their very first mythic kill, until Azshara is dead. Which, I imagine, would be a horrendous experience. Things never get any easier, there's no coming back to already beaten boss and crushing them with superior gear. No mechanic ever gets trivialized until Blizzard nerfs it and if something was annoying to deal with - it will continue being so until the tier ends. Even "I only raid for progress" people would start having doubts at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    So you raid till you clear it, then you've lost all interest? May I suggest a different genre of games.
    Why? Why must someone else play like you to enjoy MMOs. One simply does not need to farm raids until they have a full set of BiS or close to it to enjoy 1, raiding, and 2, MMOs.

As I said, they could offer no rewards other than the satisfaction of completion and I would still do it. Gear has never been nor ever will be an incentive. I will say that with one caveat. I do like going into older raids for transmogs. But that is not the argument in question. It is related to player power progression with gear. And again, I come from a time when just beating a game was it's own reward. We didn't need "incentives".

i would, but not mythic or even heroic.

the raiding scene in SWTOR is sort of like that. operations drop gear but only the tip top brand new shit drops the set pieces that are best. other than that i can do veteran (heroic) flashpoints and get the same item level.

its kind of nice. it allows you to focus on the fight and it doesnt leave a sense of dread if you dont kill a boss that drops your loot. i rather like it that way.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    People also forget that it's never binary "I only care about loot/progress", but a ton of things in between. Even people who are primarily about progress like to be rewarded for downing a challenging boss and getting nice reward - or at least seeing someone else get reward and the TEAM getting stronger as a whole. The whole "we should gear dps'ers first" thing back in ML days was never because healbots didn't care about items, but because it was better for the raid.

That and the OP can get what they want by extending after their very first mythic kill, until Azshara is dead. Which, I imagine, would be a horrendous experience. Things never get any easier, there's no coming back to already beaten boss and crushing them with superior gear. No mechanic ever gets trivialized until Blizzard nerfs it and if something was annoying to deal with - it will continue being so until the tier ends. Even "I only raid for progress" people would start having doubts at that point.
    Of course it's nice getting gear. It's nice being able to blast past bosses already conquered with gear from said boss. I would never claim otherwise. I just don't need that as incentive to raid.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    Title. For those of you who raid, would you still do it if didnt award any loot what-so-ever? No equipment, mounts, transmog, toys etc nada.
    If WoW was a game without equipment, mounts, transmog, toys etc, sure, I would still raid, but it isn't. So really, to be blunt, you're asking a disingenuous question and I think whatever it is you're trying to prove is fundamentally flawed.

I'll be clear, I don't raid for the gear. I raid because I enjoy raiding. But gear and other rewards are an integral part of the game, and gear is also an integral part of raid progression. So simply removing those rewards from raiding alone would certainly be a massive disincentive to continue raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Of course it's nice getting gear. It's nice being able to blast past bosses already conquered with gear from said boss. I would never claim otherwise. I just don't need that as incentive to raid.
    If you're not raiding for gear, what incentive is there to keep clearing instances and killing bosses?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're not raiding for gear, what incentive is there to keep clearing instances and killing bosses?
    Mounts. However, we did get "raid that doesn't really get easier with/doesn't really drop gear" in the form of Uu'nat - and his kill rates speak for themselves.

Fun with my friends.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Fun with my friends.
    What if those friends like raids dropping gear?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Nope......

Why would I. And don't tell me for the fun or challenge. I mean...the way high difficulty raids are tuned you still need to do an activity that rewards the gear to overcome them and progress. Where else would that gear come from? Mythic 5 mans? And why would mythics reward gear and not raids?

Basically close to noone would raid any more.

I meeeeeean.... How much of your current gear that is equipped is dropped in raid? just curious..

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    Title. For those of you who raid, would you still do it if didnt award any loot what-so-ever? No equipment, mounts, transmog, toys etc nada.
    I would do them once just to see the content, like playing a story driven game that doesn't give loot for every 2 steps you take. But I definitely wouldn't do them more than once.

The fun of this game is progress, not the gameplay itself.

I would LFR only to see the bosses - and any story that comes with the raid.
    But hell I don't do anything higher than LFR now anyhow - even while raids DO drop gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    I meeeeeean.... How much of your current gear that is equipped is dropped in raid? just curious..
    Haven't played since mid MoP. However all of my gear was raid gear. Of course I'm going to wear the gear. That was not the question posed. The question was would you raid if there was no gear drops. My answer is yes. I like figuring out encounters with my friends and beating raids.

Currently the system requires gear to clear. You need a certain threshold to clear early encounters and an increasing threshold as go further into a raid. I'm not a fool. I know I need it to beat raids. If the system required a min ilvl of whatever the heroic dungeon gear is and offered no raid drops just increasing difficulty by means of less room for error I would still totall raid. But as it stands now gear is needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.
    And even If I did it 'for the story' I'd only do it a couple of times because there is no point to kill bosses after you've done it once if there is no reward.

I mean it's not like mythic *really* drops gear nowadays with how easy m+ is to farm and how much it rewards,both in quantity and quality(more stat combinations on gear+titanforged chance)

Probably just speed kills and ladders. That said, I don't think that holds replayability very well. It would be like most other games, where there is an 'end' and killing the final boss is beating the game for that patch.

For the question in the thread, I think it's interesting as almost every game I've ever played (prior to Runescape) I don't recall receiving loot. As far as early games, you had stuff like Pong and Atari's Combat, for example, that were better for PVP (no loot). I'm trying to imagine playing Pacman for loot box for every board cleared. Would the loot boxes contain speed bonus' or some such? Anyway, we just kept playing Pacman to see how far we could get.

So yeah...back in my day, we just played games for the fun of playing the game. We didn't know what "loot" was.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Raiding is pretty boring. I would love it if they always made a 5 man dungeon version of every raid.