Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The problem is that Blizzard have only recently started actually bothering to try to make all their lore internally consistent. In comes the Chronicle to help them have one central repository for that stuff.

Then they go "yeah but what if we retconned it to this, though?" "hmm you're right that would make a neat story, retcon away!" because they're Blizzard.

I have long been complacent about this because the retcons do indeed make for more, and interesting, stories. The draenei and their relationship to Kil'jaeden was great in Legion for example. Looking at this thread, the titans only being mostly-dead, that also turned out super neato.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-12-09 at 04:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    So this is how far the Lore forum has fallen? Eesh.
    I take it back, BfA is not the lowest the games lore could have gone, this thread proves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    The big one that people took issue with is "The Titans are dead." If you played through Argus and then the Antorus raid when you played Legion, you'll know that this is not true any more, and this was almost immediately after Chronicle V1 released.
    That's a bit weird Chronicle says "Titans are dead" but somehow Blizzard says Chronicles are written from Titans' view. Dead people don't have any point of view as far as I know

Everything is weird af. How hard can it be to write a consistent story line and write books about the basics of the universe without needing to retcon everything every two months ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    That's a bit weird Chronicle says "Titans are dead" but somehow Blizzard says Chronicles are written from Titans' view. Dead people don't have any point of view as far as I know

Everything is weird af. How hard can it be to write a consistent story line and write books about the basics of the universe without needing to retcon everything every two months ?
    Aman'thul is practically omniscient due to his mastery over time (being the Titan who originally imbued Nozdormu with their stewardship over time). It's easy enough to think of the "Chronicle" series as Aman'thul's record of the true timeline of the Warcraft universe, how events would happen based on his understanding of the timeline. It doesn't account for events or locales outside of the universe in which said timeline was based - so it can't (and doesn't) see into alternate dimensions like the Shadowlands or the Void, or account for outside influences that might subvert this timeline for their own purposes.
    "I remember what I told you, but I can't remember why. The moon is turning red and bleeding through the sky. Absolution, redemption, salvation at the end - when justice is served don't expect me to attend." - Trust Obey, "Raymond Chandler Evening"

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Aman'thul is practically omniscient due to his mastery over time (being the Titan who originally imbued Nozdormu with their stewardship over time). It's easy enough to think of the "Chronicle" series as Aman'thul's record of the true timeline of the Warcraft universe, how events would happen based on his understanding of the timeline. It doesn't account for events or locales outside of the universe in which said timeline was based - so it can't (and doesn't) see into alternate dimensions like the Shadowlands or the Void, or account for outside influences that might subvert this timeline for their own purposes.
    I can agree on that, but...

How is Warlords of Draenor fitting into this theory ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    I can agree on that, but...

How is Warlords of Draenor fitting into this theory ?
    Difficult to say - will depend on how it's covered in a possible "Chronicle Vol. 4" if it ever comes out. WoD does intersect with the true timeline due to Kairozdormu's machinations, and so it's possible Aman'thul could see it in the timeline from its point of intersection (the point where we begin to experience it) to the point of its inevitable terminus from our perspective. The Bronze Dragonflight can do the same thing in terms of seeing branching timelines that connect to the true timeline, so it's very likely Aman'thul can do the same, probably to an even greater degree given his mastery over time.
    "I remember what I told you, but I can't remember why. The moon is turning red and bleeding through the sky. Absolution, redemption, salvation at the end - when justice is served don't expect me to attend." - Trust Obey, "Raymond Chandler Evening"

Chronicles was a good attempt to solidify everything in the lore.
    That didn't last as they started going back on things merely a year or so after volume 1 one was published

So, yeah. Chronicles, at this point, is a good reference book for things that may have happened or not
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Going into this years blizzcon they stated that the chronicles are written from the view of the titans (however that is possible, but hey Blizz writing for you) and as that are ofc extremly flawed.

And also NOT the ultimate lore bible anymore.
    They did not say either of these things. The only thing they said is that they're written from the viewpoint of the Titans. They did not say they were 'extremely flawed' or 'are not the ultimate lore bible.'

In fact nothing in any of the 3 Chronicle entries have been proven to be false, even the point about the Titans "being dead" (Which I'd argue is way more nebulously described in Chronicle than that anyway).

The only thing their recent commentary about Chronicle means is that they're going to break with established lore if they think its a cool thing to do. Which is stupid, but Blizzard has always said "gameplay over story." Their comments were really just giving themselves an excuse in case it eventually happens.

But dishonest actors took that as meaning a lot more than that and are now claiming a whole bunch of lies. Including an opportunistic youtuber who submitted that question and is now going crazy because the vagueness of their answer can somehow be pretzel twisted into supporting his bad fan theories.

Until something comes out that directly contradicts something in any of the Chronicle books, they are still all true. And just before that same person comes into this thread like the other one, Blizzard not spoiling all their upcoming story stuff in Chronicle by omitting it (Like Shadowlands information) doesn't mean that the Chronicle books are a lie. Anybody with half a brain understands they're not going to spoil future story stuff for expansions by including them in a lore compendium.
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2019-12-09 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    That's not quite what actually happened though. The spell did send a portion of their souls to Azeroth, the parts of their souls which weren't sent were destroyed along with their bodies. The Legion apparently reclaimed the souls of the Pantheon during the invasions, that was one of their primary objectives. The thing is that Chronicle gave no hint that such a thing was even remotely possible, implying very strongly that the Titans were essentially dead, living on only through the keepers. The choice to have these fragments reborn into what seemed to be fully fledged Titans once more with very little effort seemed very out of left field.
    "The part which wasn't sent was destroyed." Source? I always envisioned it warping across the universe to reach the Keepers, only to be grabbed by Sargeras by their ghostly tails back right as they touched, so the Keepers only got a flash of vision and emotion, before they got dragged away and Azeroth was left in the dark. We now know Eonar managed to get away and kept away. Aggramar was caught, possibly first since they had time to break him totally. Then the rest were also caught and in the process of being broken when we saved them.
    -- Remember, never look over the long term story and try to piece together what Blizzard planned, only take singular moments out of context and blow them way out of proportion. We can argue better that way. Every time I try to look at the story as Blizzard are presenting it I'm either called a shill or a fanfiction writer. - Powerogue 2019