Thread: Consant error

10+ Year Old Account

Consant error

Hi!

Recently built a new pc, and as much as I can see I can't figure out the issue. I've looked up multiple threads online, and the only things it lead to is a faulty GPU, but.. Could it really be just that? I find it hard to believe my GPU is faulty :/

This is the error:
    "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

What happens during this error is that my screen goes completely black for a few seconds, and then shows again after that as if nothing happened.
    I noticed on my second screen, it goes briefly to green before black, like less than half a seconds worth.

My GPU. motherboard and CPU their drivers are fully updated. I only encounter this issue when playing WoW (Honestly haven't tried any other games except league)

These are the specs if needed:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    MBD: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-plus (wifi) ATX
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
    Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
    GPU: Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
    PSU: Corsair VS650

Edit: I did find a thread that talked about their PSU being the problem. I was convinced that the one I got was more than enough. Was I wrong?#

Edit 2: I swapped the GPU to a different PCIE slot and swapped both the 8-pins of the PSU around. Issue seems solved.
    Last edited by Shinela; 2019-12-09 at 08:45 PM.
    It's a shame that Shadowlands killed PvE twinking. Still I enjoy the game.
    Endgame: Main, Alt

Quote Originally Posted by Shinela View Post
    Hi!

Recently built a new pc, and as much as I can see I can't figure out the issue. I've looked up multiple threads online, and the only things it lead to is a faulty GPU, but.. Could it really be just that? I find it hard to believe my GPU is faulty :/

This is the error:

What happens during this error is that my screen goes completely black for a few seconds, and then shows again after that as if nothing happened.
    I noticed on my second screen, it goes briefly to green before black, like less than half a seconds worth.

My GPU. motherboard and CPU their drivers are fully updated. I only encounter this issue when playing WoW (Honestly haven't tried any other games except league)

This would happen to me on my very first system I built. My GPU was dying. GTX 560 TI. Replaced it with a GTX 770 and the problem was gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    This would happen to me on my very first system I built. My GPU was dying. GTX 560 TI. Replaced it with a GTX 770 and the problem was gone.
    It's a brand new GPU though

It doesn't matter how new things are. Electronics fail and they could fail out of the box. You should have contacted the manufacturer straight away instead of fucking around on the internet. Pray you didn't damage it as you were installing it and take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And it could be defective. Contact AMD or the manufacturer.
    I sent a mail to Powercolor, the ones who made the card. I've until 31st of January to return the card since it's bought through amazon

15+ Year Old Account
    You have this in every game or only WoW?
    Did you update/install your chipset drivers?
    I read here that the problem does not perse have to be the GPU but a combi of things
    I would definity take everything out and refit again and check for proper alignment.
    Also, are the 8+6 pin all connected?
    Last edited by Azerox; 2019-12-08 at 07:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    You have this in every game or only WoW?
    As far as I've seen so far, only WoW. I'm going to replay Dark Souls later on though, so I'll update you on that.
    =

Yes

It could be many things, hoping to figure out which :P

I would definity take everything out and refit again and check for proper alignment.
    Also, are the 8+6 pin all connected?
    I'll do that now. But yes, both are fully connected.

try bios update i think i've fixed my bros pc that was black screening and crashing by updating the bios, seems like your mobo got a bios update only last month. like 2 weeks ago.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards...Desk_Download/

it looks like all these new ddr4 mobos have had a spate of compatibility updates over the last 4 or so months. i mean there have been at least 10 updates since the summer, thats a lot of bios flashing.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-12-08 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    try bios update i think i've fixed my bros pc that was black screening and crashing by updating the bios, seems like your mobo got a bios update only last month. like 2 weeks ago.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards...Desk_Download/

it looks like all these new ddr4 mobos have had a spate of compatibility updates over the last 4 or so months. i mean there have been at least 10 updates since the summer, thats a lot of bios flashing.
    My build is less than 2 weeks old. The bios is up to date

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as I've seen so far, only WoW. I'm going to replay Dark Souls later on though, so I'll update you on that.
    =

Yes

It could be many things, hoping to figure out which :P

I'll do that now. But yes, both are fully connected.

Did you read?

If only Wow and that thing can causes it you might kill it with an addon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The most recent bios update was a little over a week ago... Unless you updated it on the 26th of November or later it's likely not up to date.
    I've checked. It's up to date

- - - Updated - - -

Did you read?

If only Wow and that thing can causes it you might kill it with an addon.
    The addon you linked wouldn't fix anything. It's not an issue with the talking heads or anything thereof. It happens at sporadic moments, sometimes not at all and sometimes a few times in a couple minutes time.

Hi!

This is the error:

Edit: I did find a thread that talked about their PSU being the problem. I was convinced that the one I got was more than enough. Was I wrong?

This reminds me of the same crash that happens with Nvidia cards, you can google it, it's a similar issue which turns out to be a driver issue. Try a different driver and see if it goes away.

Check your system events in the Admin section in the control panel of your Windows settings. See if the error is related to the Video Card Driver "restarting" itself.

Make sure to cap your FPS and if you are running a overclocked card, play with the voltage. This could simply be a WoW+AMD driver issue. IIRC the Nvidia issue is usually related to the card overworking itself for no good reason and it reports an error at the driver level and restarts the driver.

Hi!

This is the error:

Edit: I did find a thread that talked about their PSU being the problem. I was convinced that the one I got was more than enough. Was I wrong?
    PSU should be enough. Looks like the MDB has an onboard GPU did you take out the add-on card and test that way? Do you have another card to test with? Can you test the new GPU in another computer? Have you tried the card in another slot? Did you disable the on-board GPU?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Do you have another card to test with?
    I don't, unfortunately

Can you test the new GPU in another computer?
    Had similar issues there, but the other PC was being heavily bottlenecked as a result

Have you tried the card in another slot?
    I have now, and that seems to have helped. When I did, the VGA light of my motherboard started burning, so I knew something was amiss. Then I checked if it was plugged in well enough, it was. Then I just swapped both the PCIE connectors of my PSU around. That made it disappear.

It seems solved as a result? I raided all night without an issue

Did you disable the on-board GPU?
    No, as I wasn't aware I had any :P Still not sure how I would do that, but I don't seem to have any issues any more with above fix.