Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Elemental Lord clevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Other Side of Azeroth
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    That sounds way better to me as well, I could definitely get on board with that. Anything to give me some more control back into feeling like I can play this game at more of my own pace instead of feeling like I'm missing out for not playing every single day.
    Yeah. They want to avoid a situation where some people can jam on getting a rep or whatever and be incredibly far ahead of everyone else and of course they want to keep people playing. Weekly limits feel to me like the best compromise.

  2. #22
    Over 9000! Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    9,212
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    But that's silly - restricting millions to precent one person with no self control... eh.

    The problem with daily limits is that it hurts the person who plays only a couple of times a week, say on the weekend instead of during the work week. Put another way if favors people who play every day.

    What I'd rather see instead of daily limits is how they did VP in Mists... weekly limits. Want to play a bit every evening? Cool. You say you want to binge out on the weekends or a couple of weeknights, but not have to play every day to max out things? Cool.
    That's kind of how emissaries are set up already. You can ignore them for 3 days, then log on, knock out 11 or 12 WQs and finish them all in one swoop.

    (I say 11 because Tortollan only needs 3)

    Also its not unheard of that they make wide-ranging changes because of a tiny minority of players. That's how we ended up with personal loot, because of that fraction of lame-ass players who either ninja'd drops or like, withheld gear from players because they're 'trials'.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    They may not be directly liable but its still dragging their name through the mud when you see e.g. 'MAN DIES PLAYING BLIZZARD GAME WORLD OF WARCRAFT, ARE GAMES ADDICTIVE' in the news.

    I mean, that's just my theory anyway. Its probably more likely a matter of not wanting everyone to exhaust content in 1-2 days then screeching "THERES NOTHING TO DO" on the forums.
    Here's the thing, that's definitely not "everyone" by any means at all, it's still very much a tiny minority that does that. And like, okay, so they paid to play a game, rushed through all the content, and then complained they have nothing to do? Why should everyone else be punished because a small minority of players with way more free time than everyone else chose to play the game in a way they wanted to? It just seems crazy to capitulate and design the game around a tiny minority like that and ruin everyone else's enjoyment of the game over it.

    Like I said before, other MMOs have tried that, like Wildstar for example, and well, we can all see how well that turned out for them.

    Yeah. They want to avoid a situation where some people can jam on getting a rep or whatever and be incredibly far ahead of everyone else and of course they want to keep people playing. Weekly limits feel to me like the best compromise.
    Completely understandable, having a situation where some people are incredibly far ahead of everyone else rep wise would be bad as well, I definitely agree with them on that. Weekly limits definitely feel like a good compromise to me, as well.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Because if they arent locked people will endlessly bitch about being "forced" to do endless dailies, islands, etc.
    Isn't that the same thing?
    Whether the game requires me to play 5 hours now or 5 hours over 5 weeks doesn't make a difference, now does it?

    Those timegates "force" you to play the game after the game's schedule, not your own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    You know how every so often there's a story in the news about a gamer who binged on Fortnite or LoL or whatever and falls over dead?
    And this is somehow the companies fault?

    Those people who are so addicted to the game due to a lack of self control aren't going to fix their lives because of timegating or some other bullshit, it's not the job of game developers to play therapist / parent and fix people's personal problems.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Because people like you will sit at their pc spending days straight grinding till you pass out, getting all the content done in 3 days then rage that there isnt more.
    No they wouldn't. First they'd instead bitch that they are "forced" to grind all the content in 3 days, then they'd bitch that there isn't anything else to do.

  6. #26
    Over 9000! Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    9,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Isn't that the same thing?
    Whether the game requires me to play 5 hours now or 5 hours over 5 weeks doesn't make a difference, now does it?

    Those timegates "force" you to play the game after the game's schedule, not your own.



    And this is somehow the companies fault?

    Those people who are so addicted to the game due to a lack of self control aren't going to fix their lives because of timegating or some other bullshit, it's not the job of game developers to play therapist / parent and fix people's personal problems.
    I neither said nor insinuated it was their fault, maybe read what is written instead of trying to look for hidden meaning that isn't there.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Temp1on2 View Post
    No they wouldn't. First they'd instead bitch that they are "forced" to grind all the content in 3 days, then they'd bitch that there isn't anything else to do.
    Sad how true this is.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I neither said nor insinuated it was their fault, maybe read what is written instead of trying to look for hidden meaning that isn't there.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Sad how true this is.
    Sad and true, but also, should Blizzard be listening to those people when it comes to game design decisions? You've said that's their reason for time gating stuff. Do you not now see why they shouldn't be listening to people like that and time gating everything?

  8. #28
    I've been asking the same question in regards to beta access. I've been playing Blizzard games since 2002 and haven't gotten an invite to alpha or beta testing since Hearthstone, which I then sold for $130 and bought 2 weeks later for $20...

    Actually... that might be why.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I neither said nor insinuated it was their fault, maybe read what is written instead of trying to look for hidden meaning that isn't there.
    That's really besides the point.
    I quite frankly do not see how people who have mental issues should somehow be a deciding factor when it comes to game design.

    Because that's what you are doing, making a point how people with mental issues are negatively influenced by a game's design.
    Even if you want argue over the "bad rep" it causes, that's just bogus, because making your game worse so people aren't getting (as) addicted may not be the most sound business strategy for obvious reasons.

    Blizzard just released Classic, probably the most time consuming version of WoW to this date, was the "but muh bad rep from few shitheads ditching their live for Classic" argument ever on the table?
    Perhaps, but it got rejected.

  10. #30
    Fluffy Kitten MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    29,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I've never played this game like that in my entire life. Like I said, I'm an adult with responsibilities, and WoW is for when I have free time, those responsibilities come first always. That's why time gating sucks for me, like I said here:
    Others don't play responsibly though (see the occasional reports of death by video game) and they have their own business reasons for not allowing people to grind through several weeks worth of reputations in one go. The only annoying thing is people bringing this up now as if it's something new. It's not and has been talked to death.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    Sad and true, but also, should Blizzard be listening to those people when it comes to game design decisions? You've said that's their reason for time gating stuff. Do you not now see why they shouldn't be listening to people like that and time gating everything?
    There's probably a legal and ethical landscape to consider that outweighs your personal preferences.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  11. #31
    Over 9000! Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    9,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    Sad and true, but also, should Blizzard be listening to those people when it comes to game design decisions? You've said that's their reason for time gating stuff. Do you not now see why they shouldn't be listening to people like that and time gating everything?
    I said its a theory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I mean, that's just my theory anyway. Its probably more likely a matter of not wanting everyone to exhaust content in 1-2 days then screeching "THERES NOTHING TO DO" on the forums.
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There's probably a legal and ethical landscape to consider that outweighs your personal preferences.
    If only more people understood this.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I level a character to max and it's a fun time, and when I hit max level I'm met with some world quest chores to meet my goals of unlocking flying, allied races, better gear, etc. Cool. But then I start doing those chores, and the game is like "that's all the progress/WoW you can play for today, come back tomorrow". Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to play their game more? Why do they put these weird parental control time gated progress walls everywhere? I feel like I'm playing a mobile phone game and I'm about to be asked to pay real money to bypass these time gated progress walls.

    I'm a grown adult Blizzard, I can play your game for as long as I feel like it/have the time and still attend to my IRL responsibilities, you don't need to restrict my play time like this by putting everything behind a time gate. I'm not going to stop playing your game either because I've met my goals faster than you've intended me to, that's crazy. You still have so much more for me to do once I've unlocked flying, allied races, etc like making alts, collecting mounts/pets/transmogs and so much else, you do not need to heavily time gate everything like this to try to keep me playing for longer. All it does is just burn me out on the game and make me NOT want to play the game at all anymore because I'm so sick and frustrated with all these time gates everywhere.

    Why do they do this?
    It's because Idiots in the community complain they feel forced to do everything if their isn't a cap.

    Basically everyone is capped because a lot of pseudo-elitist losers with no Jobs have no self control.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Others don't play responsibly though (see the occasional reports of death by video game) and they have their own business reasons for not allowing people to grind through several weeks worth of reputations in one go. The only annoying thing is people bringing this up now as if it's something new. It's not and has been talked to death.

    - - - Updated - - -



    There's probably a legal and ethical landscape to consider that outweighs your personal preferences.
    That's why we sign this: https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal...ense-agreement

    Limitations of Liability. Blizzard, its parent, subsidiaries, Licensors and affiliates shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of your use of, or inability to access or use, the Platform or Account(s). Blizzard’s liability shall never exceed the total fees paid by you to Blizzard during the six (6) months prior to your making a claim against Blizzard. Because some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential or incidental damages, Blizzard’s liability shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by law.
    Blizzard is not legally liable at all for people who die while playing any of their games. There is no need to design the game around limiting people's play with time gating to prevent a tiny minority of people with no self control from playing too much to the detriment of their health.

    I said its a theory.

    I mean, that's just my theory anyway. Its probably more likely a matter of not wanting everyone to exhaust content in 1-2 days then screeching "THERES NOTHING TO DO" on the forums.
    Even if it is just a theory, do you agree that Blizzard shouldn't be listening to people like that and putting time gates on everything because of people that exhaust everything in 1-2 days and then complain that there's nothing to do? I think we can both agree people like that are pretty stupid and Blizzard shouldn't be listening to or designing their game around them. So if in your theory that is the reason why time gates are everywhere, maybe they... shouldn't be?
    Last edited by Flower Milk; 2019-12-09 at 12:20 AM.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Boohoo.

    When was that, 8 years ago? Maybe adapt instead of whine.

    Literally everything in the game right now takes less time to farm than in any other expansion. You can get exalted reps in 2 weeks with minimal effort. Especially now with the 15% bonus. Farming only the Suramar rep in Legion took twice that long (during Legion).
    Uh what is the secret, because It's been WAYYY more than 2 weeks and I don't have all reps exalted.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    That's kind of how emissaries are set up already. You can ignore them for 3 days, then log on, knock out 11 or 12 WQs and finish them all in one swoop.
    Hell you might only need to do as few as 6 if it is one zone + Magi + Tortollen and they're all lined up right.

  16. #36
    Over 9000! Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    9,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Hell you might only need to do as few as 6 if it is one zone + Magi + Tortollen and they're all lined up right.
    Indeed, I love when that happens.

  17. #37
    Scarab Lord Leotheras the Blind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In SSC banished by Murkbloods again.
    Posts
    4,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    They want you to keep paying. Most timegates are timed to be longer than a month total.
    Literally this is the only reason.
    ------


    Tell blizzard to fuck off, find a better company to throw money to that doesn't jerk you around.
    You know, it's kinda funny. On this forum you can question and criticize celebrities, developers, even governments. But only two you will net you instant infractions; religion and the actions of moderators. Really puts into perspective the literal god complexes we're dealing with here.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...yet you don't realize that this is not their official forum, so why do you address them personally as if it is?

    Basically you come across as somebody ranting on a street corner on his soapbox towards the government. Also if timegating of things like flying is NOW your problem, you are kinda behind everything anyhow...at this point it isn't even a timegate anymore as you should have unlocked it weeks ago, even with their restrictions that annoy you so much.

    But yeah...they don't do it to "protect" you from overindulging, they do it so you stay subbed and keep coming back. Stretch that time that you stay a customer.

    As an adult, you surely figured that out yourself even before you wrote the thread.
    Probably because he went all 5yo on the official forum and got a timeout.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Literally this is the only reason.
    ------


    Tell blizzard to fuck off, find a better company to throw money to that doesn't jerk you around.
    No different than any other time hating that has been present since day one though.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    WQ's are some of the most boring end game content this game has to offer IMO, yet here you are complaining about not having enough of them. You are unique.
    Without WQs, they will just get rid of the game world and give you instance portals to dungeons and raids in town. They cant get of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    No different than any other time hating that has been present since day one though.
    Ironically, the same people who criticize time gating also simultaneously refer to attunements as a great alternative. Because doing the same content over 5 weeks before you can access content is somehow different than collecting an item from a raid that takes 5 weeks for the whole raid to collect. It's... mind boggling sometimes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •