Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to play their game?

I level a character to max and it's a fun time, and when I hit max level I'm met with some world quest chores to meet my goals of unlocking flying, allied races, better gear, etc. Cool. But then I start doing those chores, and the game is like "that's all the progress/WoW you can play for today, come back tomorrow". Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to play their game more? Why do they put these weird parental control time gated progress walls everywhere? I feel like I'm playing a mobile phone game and I'm about to be asked to pay real money to bypass these time gated progress walls.

I'm a grown adult Blizzard, I can play your game for as long as I feel like it/have the time and still attend to my IRL responsibilities, you don't need to restrict my play time like this by putting everything behind a time gate. I'm not going to stop playing your game either because I've met my goals faster than you've intended me to, that's crazy. You still have so much more for me to do once I've unlocked flying, allied races, etc like making alts, collecting mounts/pets/transmogs and so much else, you do not need to heavily time gate everything like this to try to keep me playing for longer. All it does is just burn me out on the game and make me NOT want to play the game at all anymore because I'm so sick and frustrated with all these time gates everywhere.

Why do they do this?

They want you to keep paying. Most timegates are timed to be longer than a month total.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not gated though, you can go run some mythic dungeons, m+, raid, organized PvP, random PvP. You can level another alt.

WQ's are some of the most boring end game content this game has to offer IMO, yet here you are complaining about not having enough of them. You are unique.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Because if they arent locked people will endlessly bitch about being "forced" to do endless dailies, islands, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    They want you to keep paying. Most timegates are timed to be longer than a month total.
    If I completed flying, unlocking allied races, etc faster than a month, I'd still keep playing the game. There's still plenty more to do. Time gating them to only be able to make small amounts of progress per day instead of just working to unlock them at my own pace whenever I have free time does nothing but just frustrate me. Sometimes I have more time to play some days than others, but if I don't make time every single day to log in and make progress, I feel like I'm missing out on progress for that day and making it take longer to reach those goals even though I have plenty of time to put towards reaching those goals other days. It sucks, and it's frustrating.

Yea, I miss the days when you could farm heroic dungeons and raids all day without lockout.

I miss the days when I had to do a limited amount of daily quests for repu grinds every day.

I miss the days when I had to log in daily to get that few tokens from hc lfg runs or I'd miss out.

I am so glad nothing was ever gated before BfA. Everything was free for you to grind in 1 day and that was it. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    Yea, I miss the days when you could farm heroic dungeons and raids all day without lockout.

I miss the days when I had to do a limited amount of daily quests for repu grinds every day.

I miss the days when I had to log in daily to get that few tokens from hc lfg runs or I'd miss out.

I am so glad nothing was ever gated before BfA. Everything was free for you to grind in 1 day and that was it. Fun times.
    I used to be able to grind/farm for gold to buy flying without ever reaching a time gated progress wall.

I never had to do any time gated grinds at all for new races.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...yet you don't realize that this is not their official forum, so why do you address them personally as if it is?
    Why wont the goverment listen to me, they are horrible, everything they are doing is horrible!
    i think they have blocked my phone number, can anyone spot a hacking machine or something on my phone?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I used to be able to grind/farm for gold to buy flying without ever reaching a time gated progress wall.

Because people like you will sit at their pc spending days straight grinding till you pass out, getting all the content done in 3 days then rage that there isnt more.

also yeah, you also have not had 10+ races in a single expansion before.
    I much rather grind for 10 races
    then just get given 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    You're not gated though, you can go run some mythic dungeons, m+, raid, organized PvP, random PvP. You can level another alt.

WQ's are some of the most boring end game content this game has to offer IMO, yet here you are complaining about not having enough of them. You are unique.
    And what if you feel m+ is a annoying waste of time that was shoved in to make up for their lack of actually engaging dungeons by making them "harder" and timed in order to push player engagement when it was waning? and instead would rather do world content and would prefer to not be told after a point said content was pointless due to a timegate?

Boohoo.

When was that, 8 years ago? Maybe adapt instead of whine.

Literally everything in the game right now takes less time to farm than in any other expansion. You can get exalted reps in 2 weeks with minimal effort. Especially now with the 15% bonus. Farming only the Suramar rep in Legion took twice that long (during Legion).

I don't know how much time you have on you, but if you do every single daily activity in the game that is like 6-8 hours of playtime alone, especially without flying.

...yet you don't realize that this is not their official forum, so why do you address them personally as if it is?

Basically you come across as somebody ranting on a street corner on his soapbox towards the government. Also if timegating of things like flying is NOW your problem, you are kinda behind everything anyhow...at this point it isn't even a timegate anymore as you should have unlocked it weeks ago, even with their restrictions that annoy you so much.

But yeah...they don't do it to "protect" you from overindulging, they do it so you stay subbed and keep coming back. Stretch that time that you stay a customer.

As an adult, you surely figured that out yourself even before you wrote the thread.
    i think he did figure it very well in fact and maybe just wanted to share/talk to other people about it,you know like you do on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Because people like you will sit at their pc spending days straight grinding till you pass out, getting all the content done in 3 days then rage that there isnt more.
    I've never played this game like that in my entire life. Like I said, I'm an adult with responsibilities, and WoW is for when I have free time, those responsibilities come first always. That's why time gating sucks for me, like I said here:

Time gating them to only be able to make small amounts of progress per day instead of just working to unlock them at my own pace whenever I have free time does nothing but just frustrate me. Sometimes I have more time to play some days than others, but if I don't make time every single day to log in and make progress, I feel like I'm missing out on progress for that day and making it take longer to reach those goals even though I have plenty of time to put towards reaching those goals other days. It sucks, and it's frustrating.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never played this game like that in my entire life. Like I said, I'm an adult with responsibilities, and WoW is for when I have free time, those responsibilities come first always. That's why time gating sucks for me, like I said here:
    Funny because the style you talk about is perfect for time gating, and what most people do. plus "if i dont log in every day and make progress" what did you need to do every day, especially since most stuff is every few days, or once a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    I level a character to max and it's a fun time, and when I hit max level I'm met with some world quest chores to meet my goals of unlocking flying, allied races, better gear, etc. Cool. But then I start doing those chores, and the game is like "that's all the progress/WoW you can play for today, come back tomorrow". Why doesn't Blizzard trust me to play their game more? Why do they put these weird parental control time gated progress walls everywhere? I feel like I'm playing a mobile phone game and I'm about to be asked to pay real money to bypass these time gated progress walls.

I'm a grown adult Blizzard, I can play your game for as long as I feel like it/have the time and still attend to my IRL responsibilities, you don't need to restrict my play time like this by putting everything behind a time gate. I'm not going to stop playing your game either because I've met my goals faster than you've intended me to, that's crazy. You still have so much more for me to do once I've unlocked flying, allied races, etc like making alts, collecting mounts/pets/transmogs and so much else, you do not need to heavily time gate everything like this to try to keep me playing for longer. All it does is just burn me out on the game and make me NOT want to play the game at all anymore because I'm so sick and frustrated with all these time gates everywhere.

Why do they do this?
    You know how every so often there's a story in the news about a gamer who binged on Fortnite or LoL or whatever and falls over dead?

I'd imagine stuff like that is why. They even tell you to play with moderation in the load screens.

Sure, odd way to make it in form of a "Dear Blizzard" letter. Dunno why? Extra points for creativity or drama?

But as usual, good on you guys coming in and explaining what intentions OP had and what he figured into his thoughts, when he/she couldn't write it down in all the many words used.
    I didn't bother addressing since it seemed like a pointless complaint and didn't really have anything to do with the topic of this thread or WoW the game itself.

You know how every so often there's a story in the news about a gamer who binged on Fortnite or LoL or whatever and falls over dead?

I'd imagine stuff like that is why. They even tell you to play with moderation in the load screens.
    Seems kinda pointless to design the game around a small minority of hardcore players with no self-control, especially because Blizzard is not legally liable at all for what they choose to do. Other MMOs have tried designing around what a small minority of hardcore players does, like Wildstar, and it didn't work out well for them at all. I'd rather the game was designed with a multitude of playstyles in mind, not just "limit everyone's progress because a small minority of players rush to complete everything, sometimes at the detriment of their own health, and then complain they have nothing to do". It seems like a bad excuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post

But that's silly - restricting millions to precent one person with no self control... eh.

The problem with daily limits is that it hurts the person who plays only a couple of times a week, say on the weekend instead of during the work week. Put another way if favors people who play every day.

What I'd rather see instead of daily limits is how they did VP in Mists... weekly limits. Want to play a bit every evening? Cool. You say you want to binge out on the weekends or a couple of weeknights, but not have to play every day to max out things? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    But that's silly - restricting millions to precent one person with no self control... eh.

The problem with daily limits is that it hurts the person who plays only a couple of times a week, say on the weekend instead of during the work week. Put another way if favors people who play every day.

What I'd rather see instead of daily limits is how they did VP in Mists... weekly limits. Want to play a bit every evening? Cool. You say you want to binge out on the weekends or a couple of weeknights, but not have to play every day to max out things? Cool.
    That sounds way better to me as well, I could definitely get on board with that. Anything to give me some more control back into feeling like I can play this game at more of my own pace instead of feeling like I'm missing out for not playing every single day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't bother addressing since it seemed like a pointless complaint and didn't really have anything to do with the topic of this thread or WoW the game itself.

Seems kinda pointless to design the game around a small minority of hardcore players with no self-control, especially because Blizzard is not legally liable at all for what they choose to do. Other MMOs have tried designing around what a small minority of hardcore players does, like Wildstar, and it didn't work out well for them at all. I'd rather the game was designed with a multitude of playstyles in mind, not just "limit everyone's progress because a small minority of players rush to complete everything, sometimes at the detriment of their own health, and then complain they have nothing to do". It seems like a bad excuse.
    They may not be directly liable but its still dragging their name through the mud when you see e.g. 'MAN DIES PLAYING BLIZZARD GAME WORLD OF WARCRAFT, ARE GAMES ADDICTIVE' in the news.

I mean, that's just my theory anyway. Its probably more likely a matter of not wanting everyone to exhaust content in 1-2 days then screeching "THERES NOTHING TO DO" on the forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds way better to me as well, I could definitely get on board with that. Anything to give me some more control back into feeling like I can play this game at more of my own pace instead of feeling like I'm missing out for not playing every single day.
    Yeah. They want to avoid a situation where some people can jam on getting a rep or whatever and be incredibly far ahead of everyone else and of course they want to keep people playing. Weekly limits feel to me like the best compromise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

That's kind of how emissaries are set up already. You can ignore them for 3 days, then log on, knock out 11 or 12 WQs and finish them all in one swoop.

(I say 11 because Tortollan only needs 3)

Also its not unheard of that they make wide-ranging changes because of a tiny minority of players. That's how we ended up with personal loot, because of that fraction of lame-ass players who either ninja'd drops or like, withheld gear from players because they're 'trials'.